It was absolutely unbeliveable (quail)

Point!

This may be something everybody here knows, but I am utterly amazed by what I've seen in the last couple of days.

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ playing a little golf. The first day I got here I played the ASU course. The course is in the middle of Phoenix just a couple of miles east of the airport. On hole number #12 I was extremely surprised to see a covey of valley quail. Right in the middle of town.

Yesterday I played a couple of courses (We-Ko-Pa) in Scottsdale. I saw 9 coveys! When I arrived on the #18 tee, I counted 16 valley quail milling around on the tee box. It's hard to concentrate with a covey of quail just a few feet away.

However, while it's very cool, the first couple of days is child's play for what I saw today. Today I played at Troon North in Scottsdale. Upon arriving at the first tee, we saw 2 coveys about 100 yards apart and another covey about 150 yards from the tee box in the middle of the fairway.

On the third hole (monument) I saw something I've never seen before. By the end of number three, I had counted 9 (nine) coveys on one hole!! Now before you go thinking, nahhh....no way, something is up. Let me tell you that I quit counting coveys after 9 holes. In nine holes I counted 47 coveys!!!!

By the end of the day, I realized that valley quail must flourish in this area. Since the golf courses have water I'm assuming that they must produce perfect habitat. I'm not sure how many quail I saw today, I'd guess I saw between 800 and 1000 birds (played 36 holes). In fact there are more quail here than any other species of animal. Also saw multiple bobcats, eagles, two rattlesnakes, etc.

There were quail every few yards. They were calling, running down fairways, flying between coveys. I have absolutely never seen anything like it ever.

I've never seen this type of quail before this trip. Here's the point of this post, if you've ever wanted to see a bunch of quail, head out to one of the courses I've mentioned in Scottsdale. Troon North (Monument) had the most. Even if you don't play golf, try to get on to one of the courses and just walk down the cart paths. You'll see what I'm talking about.

WOW!

Point!

Seems to me you need to quit Golf and take up a new Sport:D:D

My parents spent many Winters in a Park Model corner lot in Apache Junction.
They had a fun hobby by feeding and watching quail.
There were 100's of them. A non hunting area I'm sure.

quail

years ago i spent a fair amount of time bowhunting hunting javelina's mostly on the san carlos, many days the top knotted quail numbered over a 1000 birds, they were running everywhere. we would stop the pig hunt and chase the quail with out shotguns till we scattered them, then went back to finding pigs till the quail blocked the road again. was great fun.

cheersr

This may be something everybody here knows, but I am utterly amazed by what I've seen in the last couple of days.

I'm in Scottsdale, AZ playing a little golf. The first day I got here I played the ASU course. The course is in the middle of Phoenix just a couple of miles east of the airport. On hole number #12 I was extremely surprised to see a covey of valley quail. Right in the middle of town.

Yesterday I played a couple of courses (We-Ko-Pa) in Scottsdale. I saw 9 coveys! When I arrived on the #18 tee, I counted 16 valley quail milling around on the tee box. It's hard to concentrate with a covey of quail just a few feet away.

However, while it's very cool, the first couple of days is child's play for what I saw today. Today I played at Troon North in Scottsdale. Upon arriving at the first tee, we saw 2 coveys about 100 yards apart and another covey about 150 yards from the tee box in the middle of the fairway.

On the third hole (monument) I saw something I've never seen before. By the end of number three, I had counted 9 (nine) coveys on one hole!! Now before you go thinking, nahhh....no way, something is up. Let me tell you that I quit counting coveys after 9 holes. In nine holes I counted 47 coveys!!!!

By the end of the day, I realized that valley quail must flourish in this area. Since the golf courses have water I'm assuming that they must produce perfect habitat. I'm not sure how many quail I saw today, I'd guess I saw between 800 and 1000 birds (played 36 holes). In fact there are more quail here than any other species of animal. Also saw multiple bobcats, eagles, two rattlesnakes, etc.

There were quail every few yards. They were calling, running down fairways, flying between coveys. I have absolutely never seen anything like it ever.

I've never seen this type of quail before this trip. Here's the point of this post, if you've ever wanted to see a bunch of quail, head out to one of the courses I've mentioned in Scottsdale. Troon North (Monument) had the most. Even if you don't play golf, try to get on to one of the courses and just walk down the cart paths. You'll see what I'm talking about.

WOW!

Point!

I am thinking you just found your new quail "honeyhole". I once had a duck "honeyhole" that always produced. One day a local police officer stopped by to "chat". Seems I was hunting INSIDE the city limits. Just saying...

At Elephant Butte Lake, NM. we camped at the state park many times with our travel trailer. Loved to feed the quail and there were hundreds of those little buggers there.

my brother -in-law lives in Scottsdale and for many years now he has had quail in his back yard, I believe in part it is because of his swimming pool

I belive these would be Gambel's where you are at, but I could be wrong.

No Uncle Buck you are not wrong. they are gambels quail not valley quail.

Yes Every golf course down here has them coming out the nose. If we could hunt them there we would limit out every time. Dang golfers get all uppity when you walk the back nine with a 12gauge. LOL:D

they have everything they need there food, water, and habitat. they don't get shot at either.

Last edited:
Yup, Gambels quail, not Valley Quail. I've never seen any so didn't know the difference.

Yes Every golf course down here has them coming out the nose. If we could hunt them there we would limit out every time. Dang golfers get all uppity when you walk the back nine with a 12gauge. LOL

Well of course! Even a golfer knows that hunting any quail with anything bigger than a 20 gauge is savagery! :D

Seriously, thanks for the correction.

Point!

Yup, Gambels quail, not Valley Quail. I've never seen any so didn't know the difference.

Well of course! Even a golfer knows that hunting any quail with anything bigger than a 20 gauge is savagery! :D

Seriously, thanks for the correction.

Point!

LOL if you say so. But you don't know Gambels. You need a 12gauge to even the playing field, They are devils in the late season and that means Two day into the season. :D

Back