Hunter shows up with assault shotgun on your hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a sight! It's 11:50am on the pheasant opener, 6 miles north of Huron, SD. These 2 guys in this tank with orange hats on, rolling past the farm house on a two-track(dust flying) to cover blocking responsibilities for 18 corn field walkers!

Gotta have eyes in the sky looking for runners in that cornfield! :D

uav-predator6.jpg

As you all know. i have stated I'm a O/U man at heart

Now, please stay back and let the men handle this.

I shoot a Lt Mod and Mod with 31 lbs of #5 shot(Trap Load)

ouadvanced.jpg

I've got a couple of those out in the shop....been using 3lb.CountryCrock butter tubs for wads. What wads are YOU using?

BobM

Now we're get'n on the same page.

1. Pre-hunt unmanned recon mission -yup, gotta have it - that's how to
locate the BIG swarms of roosters.

2. In the field, gotta supplement the tank howitzers with helicopter "sky-gun"
flankers to keep'm pinned down.

A little off topic but along the same line

I oversee the 4H shotgun and 22 program here and a few years ago we had one of the kids show up with a home defense style shotgun for shooting trap.... he was safe with it, so there was no problems about safety, but after wards we told him that a shotgun of that style was really not going to help him become a better trap shooter and to bring his regular 1100 instead.

Ever since then at the informational meeting we have told them what were highly suggested styles of shotguns to bring, and if they did not have one suitable that 4H owned a number of guns for people to use if they did not have a suitable one.

This year a kid shows up with a bolt action 20 gauge. I told him to leave that thing in the case....

A little off topic but along the same line

I oversee the 4H shotgun and 22 program here and a few years ago we had one of the kids show up with a home defense style shotgun for shooting trap.... he was safe with it, so there was no problems about safety, but after wards we told him that a shotgun of that style was really not going to help him become a better trap shooter and to bring his regular 1100 instead.

Ever since then at the informational meeting we have told them what were highly suggested styles of shotguns to bring, and if they did not have one suitable that 4H owned a number of guns for people to use if they did not have a suitable one.

This year a kid shows up with a bolt action 20 gauge. I told him to leave that thing in the case....
I don't GET where your coming from?? Ive taught A lot of kids with A old bolt 410. A good friend started out with a 16ga "bolt" hes know a MD and hunt very expensive sxs but not haveing a fast second shot taught him to take his time an hit with the first one. I guess when we grew up we were just glad to have a shotgun!! Man has the world changed!!!

Any self-proclaimed "style police" should keep their nose stuck in their Double Gun Journal.

I'm a big advocate of reliable semi-autos with large magazines. Shot capacity restriction is the most goofy regulation ever conceived. Why waste time reloading when you have ammo stored right below the barrel in the mag?????

Even a belt-fed full auto 12ga on a turret could cover the blocking corners of a BIG walk-and-block hunt and be LOTS of fun.

There is WAY to much second guessing of THE SECOND AMENDMENT. It gives us the right to OWN and BARE arms. Bare means to expose/reveal, NOT conceal.

In order of importance, I believe in the following:

1. MORE HABITAT

2. MORE BIRDS

3. MORE SHOOTING(and shoot them any way you like, just be safe and
respectful)

Gentlemen, pick your weapon!

Actually the second amendment gives you the right to BEAR, not "bare" arms.

bare
1    /bɛər/ Show Spelled [bair] Show IPA adjective, bar·er, bar·est, verb, bared, bar·ing.
–adjective
without covering or clothing; naked; nude: bare legs.
without the usual furnishings, contents, etc.: bare walls.
open to view; unconcealed; undisguised: his bare dislike of neckties

bear
1    /bɛər/ Show Spelled [bair] Show IPA verb, bore or ( Archaic ) bare; borne or born; bear·ing.
–verb (used with object)
to hold up; support: to bear the weight of the roof.
to hold or remain firm under (a load): The roof will not bear the strain of his weight.
to bring forth (young); give birth to: to bear a child.

You might want to actually read the Constitution sometime.

WOW how fast a funny post turns into a spelling war with meanings and such and without fail godforbid anybody make a simple mistake maybe there are just to many perfectionists around :confused::confused:

I guess I'd welcome them to the sport and let them hunt- hunter numbers are dwindling enough so why let snobbery push folks away.

BTW- I think assault shotgun is a Brady term...

Last edited:
WOW how fast a funny post turns into a spelling war with meanings and such and without fail godforbid anybody make a simple mistake maybe there are just to many perfectionists around :confused::confused:

Agreed. And how do you know he didn't use the alternative "bare" to make his point in his post (it seemed rather clear to me. I'll PM you if you don't understand). He did give the proper definition of the term "bare" in his post when describing his position, so who are you to judge? Grammatical "errors" are at times on purpose, and if I read Special K's post correctly, this is an example of such transposition used correctly.

Last edited:
I don't GET where your coming from?? Ive taught A lot of kids with A old bolt 410. A good friend started out with a 16ga "bolt" hes know a MD and hunt very expensive sxs but not haveing a fast second shot taught him to take his time an hit with the first one. I guess when we grew up we were just glad to have a shotgun!! Man has the world changed!!!

I forgot to include it was a deer slug gun.

Mmmmmmmm... you can't just throw deer for him?..:rolleyes:

I have an old Rem' mod. 39A in 410 that I keep "handy" for skunks, 'coons, 'n other vermin. I cut the stock to about 11" LOP so some of the smaller kids are able to shoot it at the range.
gotta' say, it makes doubles on the skeet range a ...."challenge"!... ;)

I just know I'd ask to try the Benelli! There's no way I could resist giving it a try! I'd be laughing though:D

Speaking of bolt guns, a 20ga. Mossberg was my first gun. Got it two years before I was legal age to hunt. I about wore that thing out practicing working the bolt, lol! It's suprising how fast a kid can get with enough time!

The only applicable definition of "bear" is: "to hold up; support.

Therefore, the definitional differences between "bear" and "bare" are not significant enough to disturb, in any material way, my point.

That is:

WE HAVE THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO CHOOSE AND CARRY ARMS.

To me, this means to "hold them up for all to see, and be proud that in this country we have the right to do so.

Hiding and concealing them on your person drifts significantly away from the definition of "bear" or "bare" as to make this issue "murky" at best stretch.

True WILD animal hunting is closer to war than it is to games like trap/skeet.
I did not say that it is war, I said it is "closer to war". I place it on a spectrum as follows:

Games War
------------------------------------------------------------------------
^
hunting

Gentlemen, pick your weapon accordingly.

One more try:

Games------------------------------------------War
******************************^*********
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hunting

I'll try the spectrum again:

Games War
-------------------------------------------------------
^
hunting

By now any point you are trying to make is surely lost on me. Why a camouflaged shotgun is A.O.K. on a duck hunt, but scorned in the uplands, or a bolt gun, or a plastic stocked gun, for that matter, is beyond me!!!! If it's legal, and you like it, use it. Plugged or unplugged, seems a poor arguement, with so many other issues of such more great an importance. I don't own a gun with a plug, in states with plug laws I shoot doubles, in Kansas or Nebraska, I happily stuff the autoloader with 5. If you can shoot your limit on a rise, then you have a short day, and a hell of a good story to tell forever. I always considered the pheasant to be the ultimate " democratic" bird, not in a political sense, but in the sense it brought together a broad spectrum of hunters, with a common affinity, love of the bird. From grouse purists,hardboot, properly armed with 100 year old doubles, to bib overalled farmers with corn shuckers that did double duty as varmit guns and once a year pheasant harvesters. We have a shared interest, a conversation starting point and celebrate the bird, it's pursuit, and the god given right, as guaranteed by our constitution to do it.

RK at least you are ethusastic about your responses.

I like to consider myself a conisour of the black gun. Own several in handgun, rifle and shotgun. But I always take my 11/87 Special Field to upland hunting. Not because it has a walnut stock but because my F'in benelli won't hit a dang thing.

By now any point you are trying to make is surely lost on me. Why a camouflaged shotgun is A.O.K. on a duck hunt, but scorned in the uplands, or a bolt gun, or a plastic stocked gun, for that matter, is beyond me!!!! If it's legal, and you like it, use it. Plugged or unplugged, seems a poor arguement, with so many other issues of such more great an importance. I don't own a gun with a plug, in states with plug laws I shoot doubles, in Kansas or Nebraska, I happily stuff the autoloader with 5. If you can shoot your limit on a rise, then you have a short day, and a hell of a good story to tell forever. I always considered the pheasant to be the ultimate " democratic" bird, not in a political sense, but in the sense it brought together a broad spectrum of hunters, with a common affinity, love of the bird. From grouse purists,hardboot, properly armed with 100 year old doubles, to bib overalled farmers with corn shuckers that did double duty as varmit guns and once a year pheasant harvesters. We have a shared interest, a conversation starting point and celebrate the bird, it's pursuit, and the god given right, as guaranteed by our constitution to do it.

I agree 100%. As long as you don't shoot at me i don't care what you are carrying. I have dodged pellets from many an expensive "upland gun". My dad used an old pump 12 cop gun and was a great shot.

P.S
Could we talk about guns or shooting without it turning into a 2nd amendment
debate. We all need to lighten up a little. We are all on here to kill time before hunting season, and it gets old reading all the blasting of others for their beliefs. I understood the satire in special K's post. Even though I probably don't share his beliefs on the issue, i can read it and laugh for what it is. As I have said, I learn a lot more from people that don't share my beliefs than I will ever learn from people that do.

AMEN carptom finally someone has hit the nail on the head who really cares what everyones beliefes are and why do peaple feel it necassary to argue at every post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back