How's the shotgun practice going this summer?

First time shooting 5 stand and I was shooting a new shotgun,beginners luck.
I was going to shoot some trap to break in the new shotgun but there is high water in the trap house from the pond.
I shoot at Wild Marsh 4 to 5 times a year.

Shooting Trap

I'm shooting on a local Trap Team this summer. It's good fun. I shot a 25 straight last week, the first one this year! When it gets to be fall, I'll shoot some Skeet too since it's also good practice for hunting.

Lock and Load! :D

I taught myself from a low start, but I have only got 100 rounds this preseason. I can't get away enough to shoot what I did in the past.

Not much practice with the shotgun for me this summer. I'm between dogs just now, so I turned my springtime focus to trout fishing. I bought a new bow and plan to put some effort into trying for a trophy whitetail with it, so I'm practicing some 3d shooting with that. I also had to dust off my 30-06 for the first time in a decade because I'm going on a moose hunt in september. I will get out to bust a few clays before the season opens. I generally go to an old dump and use my string operated thrower. I have a 100 foot string on it so I can go out to one side and practice crossing shots as well as straightaways. It's not difficult shooting, but having one hand on the the string and one hand on the gun when I release it forces me to do a complete mount sequence and adds a measure of difficulty. If a buddy comes with me to operate the thrower I have more options for interesting shot presentations. I've actually found that the cheap little hand thrower provides the most unpredictable and challenging targets. That'll be about it for me this year while I focus more on the bow and the rifle. But once I have a new pup on the ground I'll return much more focus to shot gunning!
Dave

I'd almost give up bird hunting for a season to go on a moose hunt. Please be sure to post up the story of your hunt for us living away from moose hunting.

I have shot somewhere around 6 cases of shells so far this summer shooting trap. I joined a local league and am starting to shoot registered targets. I have managed to run 50 straight a couple of times. Using my field gun, I think I am doing pretty well.

Just a few more months!!

I'd almost give up bird hunting for a season to go on a moose hunt. Please be sure to post up the story of your hunt for us living away from moose hunting.

Will do! I'm really excited about it for the hunt itself, but for the company I'll be keeping as well. They hunting party is composed of 6 high school buddies, most of whom have scattered around the country a bit. We all turned 40 last year, so rather than buying sport cars or having affairs as a midlife crisis, we decided to meet up for a moose hunt to compare our beer bellies and bald spots. Should be a good time. I'll be sure to post pics and a trip report when I get back. (Apologies for the thread hijack)

Dave

Sallysue, have you ever tried the midi or mini clays...thinking I might just get a box of each and see how I go...:)

Shot my first ATA registered shoot today. I won the C Class with a 96/100. 20 yard handicap was another story. 171/200. Had fun anyway!!

Been shooting a lot while training new reps. Went thru 2000 rounds of 12,20, and 28 last week mainly shooting 5 stand. I will be shooting at least 250 rds per week on sporting clays until the season.

Been shooting a lot while training new reps. Went thru 2000 rounds of 12,20, and 28 last week mainly shooting 5 stand. I will be shooting at least 250 rds per week on sporting clays until the season.

Good job, pheasant hunters! It all pays off.

I'm at a bit over 1,400 rounds starting in late May. I have one more SxS shoot and then a mix of sporting clays and skeet for the rest of the summer. It should end up being roughly 2,000 rounds of low-gun sporting clays and skeet from late May into mid September.

Been building a house since the season ended...in an effort to make up for lost practice time, my cousin and I invested in one of these little beauties...

https://atlastraps.3dcartstores.com/mobile/Wobble-AT-50_p_41.html

It's been a blast so far and great motivation to get out and shoot. The mild Missouri summer has helped as well. Dreaming about that first flush I the mean time!

I've got about 2500 birds in between registered sporting clays, practice, some recreational skeet, and spring and summer trap leagues. I'll start shooting more low gun practice before dove/grouse season. It's just fun pulling the trigger.

I have 3 ProMatics and they are 10 years old no problems and 2 Do all that do have some issues Had 60 plus shooters out there Sat

Last edited:
Back