How's the shotgun practice going this summer?

Dove season is practice around these parts. Last year I limited with about 23 shells (10 dove) on opening morning so I guess I didn't get too rusty over the summer.:thumbsup:

Dove season is practice around these parts. Last year I limited with about 23 shells (10 dove) on opening morning so I guess I didn't get too rusty over the summer.:thumbsup:

did they fly any faster than your quail run. sorry, just had to do it. was that with your cz 28? dove fly so many different ways, makes it really fun and sometimes ruins the shooting percentages, you did pretty well,

cheers

did they fly any faster than your quail run. sorry, had to do it. was that with your cz 28? dove fly many different ways, makes it really fun and sometimes ruins the shooting percentages, you did pretty well,

cheers

No, I use my Redhead 20ga O/U for doves, I swing it better for pass shooting. Admittedly that Was one of my better shooting performances on an opening morning of dove season. I think the first limit I ever shot took around 6 boxes of shells using grandpa's 12ga, 30" full choked wingmaster.:D

Went over 1.800 round mark tonight at the skeet range. Used my pheasant guns, a 12 ga. OU and 12 ga. semi-auto. Since May I've shot 475 low-gun skeet rounds and 1.350 low-gun sporting clays rounds. This is a bit more than usual, but the Mississippi River was high and unfishable until August. I'll be ready.

My trap scores are usually peaking by this time of year, but I was in the toilet the last couple months. That's good news for area quail. :laugh:

I believe the standards for good shooting on dove and duck is 35-40% so you did well. I used to hunt with a guy and he would brag about his 60% stuff but then I caught him cherry picking his shots, in other words if it were not about to land or close, he wouldn't shoot. some days if you take all the shots as they come, they will drive you crazy. on pheasants one ought to be in the 70% range over the course of a season and the same for quail. got about 9 more days to wait.

cheers

hits and misses

you don't have to read much in upland hunting to see these published at least comments from virtually all the outdoor writers and at one time or other these same guys have done polling/studies in things like number of hits per bird, the distance that birds are truly killed at, and the number of shots taken by hunters to kill birds. surprised you haven't seen them as they are common take for example that the average pheasant hits the ground dead at between 29 and 32 yards. some people keep track yet most people just know it was at least a 40 yrd. plus shot. you can also read that about 40% of pheasants that are hit past 40 yds are not recovered. if you do better great, would never wish you to do worse. will save the next study I come across, maybe someone here has one handly

cheers

I picked up a CZ Ringneck 20ga a couple of months ago, thinking I would have plenty of time to get used to shooting the gun before I went out for Blue and Ruffed Grouse. The gun is having issues, and is presently back in the hands of the Gunsmiths at CZ in Kansas getting some warranty work done. I'll have it back by early November. I traded my Bobwhite SxS for a Franchi Affinity 20ga. this morning, and will have it in hand this coming week.

I'd almost give up bird hunting for a season to go on a moose hunt. Please be sure to post up the story of your hunt for us living away from moose hunting.

Well, as requested and as promised, here is the story of my moose hunt!

http://youtu.be/2b4KEFl7UxY

The movie basically tells the story, but some things that don't show that are relevant is that these are my childhood buddies ( and their 'baby' brothers! LOL). I moved away 25 years ago, and have seen them for weddings and other visits over the years. We've all been each others' 'best men' and shared a few adventures over our adult years, but for the most part, we've all been busy with life, so these are 'the boys' who, in my absense, have become men. So they applied for the tag, as quebec residents, and brought me as an out of province guest Hunter (Nova Scotia). The first tag was filled the first morning, and the second tag was filled that night, so it was one day of gun hunting and three days of camera hunting. We never saw any more moose with the cameras, so just as well we dropped the hammer on those two young bulls! I brought my quarter home in a fish tub on it's side in the back of my subaru and right to the butcher. It is beautiful quality meat.

I just found out that we got drawn again for this year, in a different area. Same crew. Can't wait!

Dave

Back