how many here shoot a 16bore/why?

Bob M

Pretty new here and this has probably been beat to death before, but.....

I grew up in SW Arkansas hunting bobwhites and other small game with a M11 Remington 16ga. and have never got away from the bore size. I have two older Merkel sxsides, one a 12 and the other favored one a 16. I use it for most all my scattergun chores other than hardcore duckhunting.

I'm known to take a bath with my gear and waders on a regular basis when in the duck marsh and I normally carry my old 390 Beretta when duckhunting if any baptizing is possible. It can be stripped and cleaned pretty easy and the syn. stock is a snap to get back in shape.

99% of all other shotgun hunting is done with the little 16 sxs. It is a joy to carry, points and swings like an extention of me, and hits with respectable power at all sensible ranges. I do use it for some blind locations on waterfowl and it serves very well on decoyed ducks.

The 16 is not, and never will be a 12 gauge, but I find no difference in killing ability as long as the hunting criteria don't call for shot loads greater than 1 1/8oz. shot and that load has sufficied well on pheasant for me. When nothing else is happening I can just sit down, rub the stock, and look at those sleek twin barrels and be happy!

That's my reason, what's yours?

Bob M.

Bob M. This was hashed over pretty good a short time back. Do some checking to find it.....Bob

Hi Bob,

There are a couple of threads on the site about the 16 ga. You can look at these:

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1300

I grew up shooting a 16 ga. then went to a 12 ga. about 30 years ago. A few months ago I bought a Citori White Lighting in 16 ga. I've only taken it out on 3 sharptail hunts but thus far I'm 5 for 7 and lovin' it. Great little gun. Feels like I'm carrying a 20 ga. I'm sure I'll be using it for nearly all my pheasant hunting this fall. I guess because I grew up with a 16 I have a special spot in my heart for the gauge. No, it's not a 12 ga. but when I was a kid I shot just as many ducks, geese and pheasants as my friends with 12's.

There has been some debate on this site comparing the 16 to a 12 or 20. But who cares. If you like it and it works well for you, shoot it. That's what I'm doing.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Browning Citori Feather 16...why you ask?...why not? Check the other threads; you will find some great information and welcome to UPH!

16ga

Love the 16! made up some hevi shot loads 4 duck 3shots! 3dead ducks! the gauge is at its best 4 upland but does well 4 ducks over decoys!! ( and 4 me alittle luck) does not hurt either!!

Winchester model 12 16ga
&
Browning A5 16ga

"O" I have a large battery of scatter guns but do love my 16's

Grew up shooting an 870 16 gauge...sold it to buy something else long ago. Bought a Citori Gran Lightning 16 gauge about 4 years ago and am glad I did! Just about to buy an Uggie model 30 s x s 16 gauge...looks good online, must see it in person first. Great gauge, great gun handling characteristics, great ballistics for what I use it for. Shaving 8-12 oz. off of a comparable 12 gauge makes a big difference for me.

16's putting meat on the table

I have been tempted to get a 16 several times. The big stickler is I just don't have room on my reloading benches for another reloader. I have 2 20's and a 28 now, so That is it for now........Bob

I don't yet, but have my eye on a 16 gauge SxS. Just need to sell a couple of NIB shotguns to fund the purchase.

I to shoot a Browning .16ga White Lightning. I love the way the gun handles and it is light so it's easy to carry all day if need be. I like to be a little different, and not a bunch of guys hunt with a .16ga. Shells can be kind of a pain to find sometimes.

Technology is making the weight differences between gauges a non-issue. Berretta and Benelli now make 12 gauge autoloaders that weigh less than 6 pounds and Berretta and Caesar Guerini make 12 gauge O/U that also weigh less than 6 pounds. One can have a lot of reasons for liking/shooting a particular gauge shotgun, but the weight of the gun no longer has to be one of them.

Yup, another 16ga fan here. I used to hunt with an H&R single shot every now and then, and once my wife got me a Sweet Sixteen that has been my go to gun. I still use my old Wingmaster on opening days, just for tradition, but I love my A5.
I've been looking to find a good SxS in 16, or a Mod 12 Winchester. I've got a pretty nice O/U 12 that I just don't like at all. Of course, now that I have trading stock, I can't find what I'm looking for.

I like the comments when I look for ammo the most: "never heard of it", "no such thing as a 16 ga" and my favorite "you can't hunt with larger than a 12ga, so if you've got one it is illegal to use".

Maybe I just like being different.

Yup, another 16ga fan here. I used to hunt with an H&R single shot every now and then, and once my wife got me a Sweet Sixteen that has been my go to gun. I still use my old Wingmaster on opening days, just for tradition, but I love my A5.
I've been looking to find a good SxS in 16, or a Mod 12 Winchester. I've got a pretty nice O/U 12 that I just don't like at all. Of course, now that I have trading stock, I can't find what I'm looking for.

I like the comments when I look for ammo the most: "never heard of it", "no such thing as a 16 ga" and my favorite "you can't hunt with larger than a 12ga, so if you've got one it is illegal to use".

Maybe I just like being different.
Tuna, I like those comments that you hear. Guess they have never heard of a 10 ga. but it's great that they think that the 16 is bigger that the 12, that must make a .410 like a RPG to them....:D My buddy has a 16 that he doesn't want to trade since it was his grandpa's but he really likes my Beretta Model A301. I've been after him for quite some time to trade, I even told him I'd give him some extra cash. I'm just playing the waiting game right now.

Back