How many birds each season?

I know some you guys have way more time then i got but still call bullshit on some less they're put n take birds.
What I can't quite figure out is how some hunters on here have the energy to hunt so often. I'm in my mid 30's, I exercise regularly, and I'm in pretty good shape but half a day of trudging through rugged terrain wears me out pretty quick, especially in December when there's snow on the ground. The thought of doing that for days on end is overwhelming. I could hunt more than I normally do, but I literally don't have the energy for it. Its certainly possible that most people on this forum are in better shape and have better endurance than I do. Either most hunters on here are young and athletic or they're hunting dumb pen raised birds most of the time.

I tell people I wish I was addicted to bowling…much easier to satisfy that itch, less costly, safer, etc. nothing gives me the satisfaction that seeing a dog doing it’s thing, and me doing my thing, and the dog coming back with a bird…

What I can't quite figure out is how some hunters on here have the energy to hunt so often. I'm in my mid 30's, I exercise regularly, and I'm in pretty good shape but half a day of trudging through rugged terrain wears me out pretty quick, especially in December when there's snow on the ground. The thought of doing that for days on end is overwhelming. I could hunt more than I normally do, but I literally don't have the energy for it. Its certainly possible that most people on this forum are in better shape and have better endurance than I do. Either most hunters on here are young and athletic or they're hunting dumb pen raised birds most of the time.
I’m 55, will hunt 50+ days in MT/ND/SD…yesterday was 28, today will be 29…back the next two weekends as well, then 2 weeks off, then back the 2 wknds before Xmas…then there’s January…

I’m 55, will hunt 50+ days in MT/ND/SD…yesterday was 28, today will be 29…back the next two weekends as well, then 2 weeks off, then back the 2 wknds before Xmas…then there’s January…
Ahhh ....
You young whippernappers wait until you cross the 8th decade threshold.
Just FYI its not a linear decline - its a curve sharply getting steeper.
Have to admit on my January hunt in SD last year the snow drifts whipped me like never before. Thank goodness there were birds to be had.
I keep promising my kids that I'll be smarter and more careful, but that hasn't happened yet.
Be safe out there.

We get it. You really didn't answer the question though. You must be damn near an olympic athlete, even at age 55.

Last edited:
We get it. You really didn't answer the question though. You must be damn near an olympic athlete, even at age 55.
If you saw me you’d say I was lying…5’11”, north of 300 lbs. average day this season has been a modest 7.5 miles per day…top day was 13.7 miles in MT. I’ve hunted with Dakotazeb, he’s seen my girth!🥳

I hunt pheasants at least 12 weekends per season and average 4 miles a day. Some easy walking some tough I walk mostly large CRP tracks just following the dogs. It is all public access. I will tell you that on Monday morning I'm pretty stiff and it takes a bit to get moving. Never hunt more than two days in a row anymore osteoarthritis is taking over in my left hip. I'm looking at 55 in the front windshield.

I manage to put 22-27 birds per season in the bag. I lose a couple from runners but I don't take long shots. I'm out for the dogs and the pleasure I get from watching my young pup's turn into a fine bird dog.

In the 40’s thus far this season…43, 44? Had a great hunt this am, brand new spot, cattails mixed in afield of harvested milo…good water sources…sky was full of birds, hard to focus! 3 of us got 6…I missed my first shot, hard to stay down on the stock when so many are flushing!!!

Mid 30's. 20 lbs over weight.... 60 days a year ,the colder and snowier the better..... alotta days I'd be fine staying home. Most days the dog is up and in my face ready to go... I do it for him.. not because I love watching him work or the rush of the flush, it's because I know it's what he wants to do. More then anything! Can rest in the off season... for few weeks

Somebody in their mid 30s in good shape should be able to hunt forever, party all night and do it over next day. I do. My old dad does and hes 60. Keeps up with benny better than any of us. He's a handful sometime..

That's a lot of hunting! I'm guessing I probably get in around 25 days in, in Montana. I enjoy being out there with my dog. I've had some good days this year, and I've missed some shots, but I'm glad my dog and I can get out there.Im over 55, so that's a factor.

Mid 20's with very flexible work schedule. Haven't missed a day of the Iowa season yet (some days it's just an hour hunt or so). 52 birds over the dogs, and I've shot 30. No issues with energy or anything like that, never sore. However, I was also running the dogs nearly every day during the offseason.. and I'm 26 years old.

I know some you guys have way more time then i got but still call bullshit on some less they're put n take birds. Why come on here just to brag. Bs.
This reminds me of a conversation I had at the local watering hole last week. When the guy found out I'd been pheasant hunting in MN that morning and I told him I got one bird and lost another in a heavy marsh, he told me I needed to go to Mitchell SD, best pheasant hunting around. The conversation continued and found out he goes out to some high $$$ "hunting lodge." I held my tongue. Then he said with pride and a touch of arrogance, "I've got the best bird dog in the world." I'd had enough truth serum 🍺 and don't suffer fools gladly, so I asked him, "how do you like shooting pen raised birds over your fat house dog?" Things went south from there😄.

This reminds me of a conversation I had at the local watering hole last week. When the guy found out I'd been pheasant hunting in MN that morning and I told him I got one bird and lost another in a heavy marsh, he told me I needed to go to Mitchell SD, best pheasant hunting around. The conversation continued and found out he goes out to some high $$$ "hunting lodge." I held my tongue. Then he said with pride and a touch of arrogance, "I've got the best bird dog in the world." I'd had enough truth serum 🍺 and don't suffer fools gladly, so I asked him, "how do you like shooting pen raised birds over your fat house dog?" Things went south from there😄.
Those guys get driven around in busses. Big groups of corporate executives paying big money. Bad for the sport.

This is the first time in a couple of decades that I have seriously hunted birds, so my sample size is very small. So far I've put 5 birds in the freezer, and cooked 2 that never made it to the freezer. So far I have only lost one bird. I'd like to end the season with my 15 bird possession limit in the freezer. I do about half of my hunting in Nebraska, so I will have to research how/if those birds count toward my IA possession limit? My parents really enjoy eating pheasant, so I leave a lot of my NE birds with them.

Back