• Closed Gun/Chamber Closed - Safety on

Votes: 67 83.8%
  • Closed with the Safety off - Yikes!

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

V-John

So, how do you carry your gun in the field? Shell in the chamber, with the safety on? Broken open? Chamber open?

Me, I usually just carry it broken open, (O/U) slung over my shoulder. Usually it's unloaded, sometimes it is loaded.

Too often, like a suitcase....
...but with a round chambered and necessarily closed tho I have gone with the O/U-broke-over-the-shoulder look so popular.

Safety on?...you had to ask that one? :)

I shoot an autoloader so breaking it open is not an option. I also carry it with the muzzle up. I will only remind someone once after I look down their barrel. After that, they are searching for a hunting partner.

Closed and Loaded. I would have to be really fast to load and close the chamber hunting behind a flusher. Im just not that good. Would be kinda nice to just have it broken over my shoulder sure is a lot easier to carry. Maybe when I get old Ill get a pointer:D Sorry just kidding.

That's the beauty of owning a good pointer(s). No need to load the gun until the dog(s) go down on point.:10sign::10sign::10sign:

Sorry Okie:D No need for a pointer. Just proper gun handling.:thumbsup: Most times in good areas closed safe on, and pointed straight up. Also often broke open walking. Even then there is time when you see a flusher get birdy, to close the gun and take a quality shot. When I have my birds or am just walking off, its unloaded and broke over the shoulder.

It depends on the gun.

If I am shooting my 1100 its safety on, shell in chamber.

With my O/U, most of the time broke open, but to change up the way I am carrying the gun (shoulder gets sore), I will close it and carry it at port arms. But safety is always on.

When I'm hunting, chambered, closed & on-safety . . . muzzle control ALWAYS, even when I walking back/not hunting & it's over my shoulder.

Action closed, loaded, safety off, muzzle looking where ever my eyes are....don't want to miss a chance to shoot, Can't understand why all my buds are busy when I wanna go hunting:D:D

Seriously, I usually carry with loaded, closed two-shooter, safety ALWAYS on, and carry at some sort of port arms with muzzle up. I do like slings and have them on all of my shotguns used for hunting. If just covering ground or walking with a purpose, the loaded gun is carried at sling arms, muzzle up. Also pretty handy when trying to water the dog, or stuff that big ol rooster into your vest, to just sling the gun and have both hands without laying it on the ground or holding it clamped under your arm and loosing muzzle control.

Not many like slings on field guns, but it works for me.
BobM

I shoot right handed so left hand on the fore arm, action closed (either o/u or SxS) safety off and both eyes on the dogs. If you don't like it don't hunt with me lol!

Retriever owner responding: O/U loaded closed w/ safety on of course. Never understood hunting behind a pointer. Is it as exciting as when a rooster boils out from under your feet unexpectedly? Heart rate doubling at the first cackle? Tripling when the second bird explodes while youre reloading? Quadruples when.... Wait I'd be dead...

I shoot right handed so left hand on the fore arm, action closed (either o/u or SxS) safety off and both eyes on the dogs. If you don't like it don't hunt with me lol!

I'd like to know why you feel the need to have the safety off? Would you teach your child to hunt in this manner?

And you are right! I wouldn't be hunting with you! Safety in the field in "Number One" and I will not compromise on that.

I'd like to know why you feel the need to have the safety off? Would you teach your child to hunt in this manner?

And you are right! I wouldn't be hunting with you! Safety in the field in "Number One" and I will not compromise on that.

I think there was a little Sarcasm in that. Hence the lol ( laughing out loud )

Closed and Loaded. I would have to be really fast to load and close the chamber hunting behind a flusher. Im just not that good. Would be kinda nice to just have it broken over my shoulder sure is a lot easier to carry. Maybe when I get old Ill get a pointer:D Sorry just kidding.

Ive hunted with you and you dont have the patience for a pointer :D:D:D:D

Yup. I think Quail Hound was pulling our chains.

Zeb your correct. saftey saftey saftey.

Muzzle up saftey on, and finger away from trigger until time to pull it.

I sure hope so. But I didn't take it that way. I guess quail hound needs to clarify his post.

I sure hope so. But I didn't take it that way. I guess quail hound needs to clarify his post.

Well first off let me say safety is always my first priority while in the field. Honestly Zeb I've seen the "safety" make people sloppy with their gun handling, my dad is a prime example of thus. His muzzle is always pointing at someone but its alright cause the safety is on :eek: and he's not the only one I've seen do this. The majority of my hunting is for quail in rough cover behind springers who like to push the limits, and that doesn't leave much time for a clean shot. You will NEVER see my finger anywhere near the trigger or my muzzle pointed anywhere but in a safe direction. When footing gets iffy the safety goes on (i usually forget to take it off) until the next bird or until the footing gets better. I taught myself how to hunt and if I have kids I will make them use their safety but I will not let them get safety lazy.

Loaded, safety on. Muzzle up, pointed straight ahead. Never over the shoulder, had more guns pointed at me that way than the rest combined.

If I stop, the muzzles on my boot. If I stop to talk the chambers empty and muzzle on the foot.

Nothing directed at you Quail Hound. It something for your hunting partners to decide.

I've hunted with a few that hunted safety off. Found out after the fact. These guys had no business hunting that way, and I let them know it.

Back