Honest opinions wanted

I have a little known french pointer pure bred that has a hankering for eating toilet paper...

Tpharkman, we've got the same problem with our female RR. She's been doing it since she was a puppy. Like I told my wife, at least we know she wipes.:)

Something I see quite often is the so called "breeders" selling puppies out of the back of a vehicle in some parking lot. And, they usually have some makeshift, cardboard-box-sign with 100%, Purebred, AKC Registered, Full-Blooded, With Papers, (add breed) Puppies For Sale written on it.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they would be "give away" pups.

My Vislador is a great hunting dog both duck and upland.

He was free to a good home, now he's priceless.:eek::)

Ultimately, the "breed" must be accepted. You cannot just keep breeding EP to Visla. Eventually you have to start breeding Europointers to Europointers.
(I call them that because I cannot come up with a combo EP- VISLA:rolleyes:) This takes a lot of dogs and generations. The Germans who invented all the versitle breeds had a lot of time, money and patience.
People often think I have some kind of designer breed when I say Pudelpointer. If so, carefully designed 150 years ago and tightly controlled breeding today.
________
Halfbaked

Last edited:
Ultimately, the "breed" must be accepted. You cannot just keep breeding EP to Visla. Eventually you have to start breeding Europointers to Europointers.
(I call them that because I cannot come up with a combo EP- VISLA:rolleyes:) This takes a lot of dogs and generations. The Germans who invented all the versitle breeds had a lot of time, money and patience.
People often think I have some kind of designer breed when I say Pudelpointer. If so, carefully designed 150 years ago and tightly controlled breeding today.

What about labradoodles? I thought they were always a cross between lab and poodle.

GCB,

I'm amazed how much people resent this sort of thing. My grandfather had the same opinion as most of these folks. One night his GSP stud climbed over the fence to spend the evening w/ one of our Brit bitches. Soon after, the best dog I've ever owned was born. An absolute natural w/ a very unique personality/disposition. Though I wouldn't encourage others to cross these breeds, if I ever find one for sale, I'm taking him/her. SO, there are some folks out there that may be interested in these pups. I trust that you're intelligent and caring enough not to "flood" a market w/ unwanted pups.

If you ever have any accidents w/ a good Brit and a GSP, let me know!

GCB,

I'm amazed how much people resent this sort of thing. My grandfather had the same opinion as most of these folks. One night his GSP stud climbed over the fence to spend the evening w/ one of our Brit bitches. Soon after, the best dog I've ever owned was born. An absolute natural w/ a very unique personality/disposition. Though I wouldn't encourage others to cross these breeds, if I ever find one for sale, I'm taking him/her. SO, there are some folks out there that may be interested in these pups. I trust that you're intelligent and caring enough not to "flood" a market w/ unwanted pups.

If you ever have any accidents w/ a good Brit and a GSP, let me know!

It is interesting to note that in the world of animal breeding the only segment who generally are opposed to cross breeding are pet owners.

In my neck of the woods you are lucky to find any pure bred dogs. Everything is german shorthair/lab or point/german shorthair. If you do find purebred dogs they are really expensive.

Kansas Brittany we have had only the one litter and we are not planning another until we showcase the breed to fellow hunters and in a few trials and have more interested partiesso far we have 12 individuals that are interested in the breed and they have all hunted behind the parents and the end result as well thank you for your voice on this matter. Lchunter we are not charging purebred prices for these pupsjust enough to cover the cost of everything for now and maybe break even. Uncle buck the europointer name is sufficiant although we have chosen Highplains pointer for the breed name everyone keep the comments coming I am writing them all down good and bad becouse we really are trying to find out if peaple are interested in them or if it would just be nothing but for our use only

I'd be willing to offer my expert opion on whether this breed would have the desired traits and stand up to the test of time or not - for a free guided trip of course:thumbsup:. Certainly nothing is for free. :D

Personally this strikes me as completely asinine.

Leave breeding quality dogs to the professionals. :cheers:

Kinda funny, seems to me the only time you would need a purebred registered dog is if your a breeder selling pups. Fine and good.

For people like me that want a companion and good bird dog spayed or neutered. I'll take a free mistake. Ain't no better all around dog anywhere then My Vizlador.:)

Good looking too, check out my avatar.

Kinda funny, seems to me the only time you would need a purebred registered dog is if your a breeder selling pups. Fine and good.

For people like me that want a companion and good bird dog spayed or neutered. I'll take a free mistake. Ain't no better all around dog anywhere then My Vizlador.:)

Good looking too, check out my avatar.
hope your dog backs good if he was upland hunting with me ive heard it all WOW!

Now how can a person actually say there is not a better dog anywhere, when they have never seen that many, I here this often,My dog is the best in the world, but when someone makes this comment, I ask Compared to what? How many hundreds of dogs has one seen run.? The best dogs can't be compared to a couple buddies dogs or the 5 we previously owned. If a accident were to happen to me, I would be the first to say that I was not being responsible of my dog at that time. It should not be that big of a deal to take care of a dog for a couple weeks to make sure this does not happen.
I personaly know people that have both Breeds discussed, and they do not have the issues of the original post. Sounds more like an individual problem or training issue to me.
I would ask anyone to call around to the pounds and shelters to see how many of these dogs end up there, and see what happens to them, also talk to the people on the front line that have to put them down every day, and see what they think of misfit breeding. There is a ad for free labradoodles in the convince store here now. I doubt they will all find a loving home. Last year I commented on a litter of 1/2 breed labs that were dumped out on a lake with some straw, all died,Brained news. Sure there is a few that end up in good homes. But to sit here and tell our selves this is or even think this is a good breeding practice is shocking. I would think that it is common séance that it is Not.
I don't believe for a second that it is just pet owners that would be against this, sportsmen, breeders, vets, and any rescue or shelter related folks or foster homes would believe this is not something that should be going on. Except in a legitimate case of something truly done with integrity.
In 30+ years of dog ownership, breeding and several females I am proud to say there has never been an accident.:thumbsup: Instead of asking the few here, I think if the US as a whole were asked there would be a overwhelming # of people with a NO vote. I am also sure there are plenty of folks on here not willing to get involved in this thread because of how easy it will be for this to go south. I think my posts should come across civil, but some may not find it that easy. Like I said this is one of those touchy subjects. And some will think best to avoid.

I think we have two schools of thought going on in this thread. The "Pure Bred" people and the "I don't care what it is as long as it hunts" people. I don't think anyone will argue that there have been some very good hunting dogs come out of cross breeding. And if that works for you, go for it. But these dogs are difficult to sell and as many have said here, how many of these dogs end up in a shelter or being put down. To some degree, when you cross-breed you are rolling the dice on what you are going to get.

Thus I prefer a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder that has done his/her homework and is dedicated to enhancing the breed. I know then that my chances of getting a good hunting dog are excellent.

seems to me the only time you would need a purebred registered dog is if your a breeder selling pups

If you read the paragraph above you will understand why myself, and many others, want a pure bred dog. It has nothing to do with breeding them. I have 2 pure bred female Brittanys and both are spayed.

Name That Breed

Please everyone feel free to give me your opinions good and bad . My partners and i have decided to start a new breed we discovered by accident, it is an English pointer Vizla cross we have only one littter so far and all but one female is up and running like pros. they all hunt great they are almost all natural . I kept a male out of the mix and he is a natural pointer , he holds tight until i make the flush even when i try to push him forword i cant get im to break point. the trainability of this last litter was great in our opinions it brings out the best in both breeds it takes the run out of the pointer and makes the vizla not so babyish. please comment

Now you have to come up with a name for your new breed. How about "Grainfield Pointer" or "Gove Setter" a la "Brittany" named for the province in France where that breed was developed?

Last edited:
Brittanys are Cross Breeds

I think we have two schools of thought going on in this thread. The "Pure Bred" people and the "I don't care what it is as long as it hunts" people. I don't think anyone will argue that there have been some very good hunting dogs come out of cross breeding. And if that works for you, go for it. But these dogs are difficult to sell and as many have said here, how many of these dogs end up in a shelter or being put down. To some degree, when you cross-breed you are rolling the dice on what you are going to get.

Thus I prefer a pure bred dog from a reputable breeder that has done his/her homework and is dedicated to enhancing the breed. I know then that my chances of getting a good hunting dog are excellent.

If you read the paragraph above you will understand why myself, and many others, want a pure bred dog. It has nothing to do with breeding them. I have 2 pure bred female Brittanys and both are spayed.

Brittanys were developed in France by cross breeding a certain spaniel and a certain setter. So no need to be discouraged about what you're doing by crossing two distinct breeds.

I will also ad that any one wanting to compete in any event which is set up to compare hundreds and hundreds of dogs to one another and aid in improving of any breed has to be registered. This is also why I am against being able to register a dog with some Second hand registry.
It is an avenue for this thing to travel. That just makes me scratch my head. I also just recently took a young dog back that was not moved along in life the way we intend when we try to place them. I as the breeder took the dog back in and found him a new home for free, letting the folks know, that are giving him a go, that the dog has several issues because of his prior ownership, and explained things that happened. Our pup agreement states that any dog that has to be rehomed comes back to me for a reason. We also get first right or refusal if the dog is to be sold. This is to avoid milling out the dog. So far he is the only dog we have had to take back. But I doubt you will find this in breedings of missfit litters, there will be none returned to the breeder to be rehomed.
Just a thought.;)

I agree with Ken, Why purposely make a mixed breeding when the dog world already has more accidents, than it needs. I had My female Brit in 6 ft high fenced kennel with an 8 foot board fence all around the back yard. A Lab got over both fences and got to her. I was at work and my wife did not see it happening in time. I took her into the Vet, he gave her an abortion. Yes, it cost me some bucks BUT. That is what I think of mixed breeding......Bob

I agree with Ken, Why purposely make a mixed breeding when the dog world already has more accidents, than it needs. I had My female Brit in 6 ft high fenced kennel with an 8 foot board fence all around the back yard. A Lab got over both fences and got to her. I was at work and my wife did not see it happening in time. I took her into the Vet, he gave her an abortion. Yes, it cost me some bucks BUT. That is what I think of mixed breeding......Bob
If caught this is a very good aproach, a simple shot can do the job. best for both dog owners and any posible unwanted pups.

As said above, this should be done with integrity in mind. Not with dogs that are not the best they can come up with of a breed. My guess would be this link below is the reason for this to come about. I could be wrong. But if it is it is hardly a good reason to try it. For example if a dog has hard mouth, gunshy, no nose, un hunted, un trained ect. how can this be the best dogs to try such a venture. Just curious;)

Quote:
I am hopping that someone here can help me I have a 2 year old viszla who isn't completely gunshy but close how would i go about helping her over this problem . we didn't hunt her last year becouse the neighbors dog got in the pen and made her a mommy please help

Here's the thread: http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.c...ead.php?t=1563

Back