Honest opinions wanted

Please everyone feel free to give me your opinions good and bad . My partners and i have decided to start a new breed we discovered by accident, it is an English pointer Vizla cross we have only one littter so far and all but one female is up and running like pros. they all hunt great they are almost all natural . I kept a male out of the mix and he is a natural pointer , he holds tight until i make the flush even when i try to push him forword i cant get im to break point. the trainability of this last litter was great in our opinions it brings out the best in both breeds it takes the run out of the pointer and makes the vizla not so babyish. please comment

ummmmm be honest?

coming from an ep lover i have to say y would you do that!to each is own i guess i would be embarrassedyou dont need to cross them an ep is going to pound any visla all day getting to the birds now if you want to practice backing then by all means go that route not to mention visla will have his feet up in the air after two hours! If i brung that mixed breed in front of my buddies they would laugh me out of the field

pitiful

do you have a pic of that conglobberation ?i would like to see that i guess it kind of erks me to down grade such a awesome animal as an ep but whatever

Sorry GCB as a breeder, I am going to have to give a thumbs down on this kind of breeding. No ofence to you, but It represents everything all responsible breeders frown on. Did you even do any health checks on the dogs first, hips ect.
But the light bulb had to be invented too.

I guy up north had the good idea fairy fly by him and he crossed Wirehairs with Labs and started out selling them for $600. Later I saw they were down to $50.
I have no problem with trying to cross breed to create a better animal. Livestock producers do it all the time. The problem is what do you do if they do not turn out? You can't send them to the packer.

aren't their enough really good breeds out there right now with out trying to make some super breed if you find the right breed for you with some good proven bloodlines in them and the right training shoudn't that be good enough with out trying to reinvent the wheel:confused:

I have not twisted anybodies panties, even the AJ-bros when things went south for them in Massachusetts, but here goes.
The English pointer is essentially the mother(father?) of all modern pointing breeds. The strong nose and point were the desirable traits. They were not suitable to the foot hunter tho, so they started introducing other dogs that were easier to train, would retrieve and also enjoyed a swim. (Generalities boys. I do not want to here about the English pointer that was a better retriever than any Chessie that ever lived---don't go there.I also know some of the breeds Munsterlander, Spimone for instance are very old breeds not crossed for centuries. )
The German Shorthair is English and hound, maybe a little something else too.
There are "long haired" German shorthairs. Most agree the the English came from the Spanish Pointer, essentially now extinct, if you can even say that about a "breed" of dog. There are Weims, Wirehairs and a host of other breeds the Germans and central Europeons created that have stood the test of time. (Ok---about 150 years)
When the English Pointer was breed to the German Pudel, the Pudels genes were so dominant, they bred the pointer back in 8 times to get the desired result, What does a Pudelpointer look like? A lot more like a Pudel than an English Pointer. I just mention this re how long it took to get the desired result.
You may get some very nice pups out of your union. If you want to create a new breed Euro-pointer, you better have a lifetime commitment and some kind of target. In this case, it's the destination, not the journey. You are taking two breeds that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum and hoping you get something in the middle(?) a result hardly guarenteed.
Some of the other posters have made some excellent points.
________
DRUG TESTS

Last edited:
You may get some very nice pups out of your union. If you want to create a new breed Euro-pointer, you better have a lifetime commitment and some kind of target. In this case, it's the destination, not the journey. You are taking two breeds that are on the opposite ends of the spectrum and hoping you get something in the middle(?) a result hardly guarenteed.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Who would not like a dog that points great and has good prey drive like the pointing breeds crossed with the natural marking and retrieving of a retrieving breed. But it will take a long time to get there and how do you market the pups? I can't help but think that was a lot of labradoodles given away, or worse, before hey caught on.

My partners and i have decided to start a new breed we discovered by accident

I think this pretty much says it all. It was an accident. Someones EP accidentally bred some elses Vizsla or vice versa. So now these guys want to promote a new breed. Obviously with an accident there were no check on hips, etc. like FC mentioned.

I'm against "backyard breeders" and feel breeding should be left up to the professional breeders that are truly into it to better the breed. I think the type of breeding we are discussing here represents the worst of the worst and should not happen. After the hundreds of years of breeding that has been done to create some very fine breeds why mess with it. Oh sure, this cross may produce some fine hunting dogs, but my advice would be to end it with this one litter. Why screw with two fine breeds.

Sorry to come on so strong but this type of stuff really gets my dander up!

Well to really get your dander...

For discussion sake lets say both dogs were OFA, SERF, ect. Do you have a problem with breeding two different breeds together then?

I guess I would disagree with you on that. Why is it unacceptable to breed two different breeds together to try to create a better dog?

Again I do not agree with the OP on this one. But my disagreement lies in marketing and placement. Crossbreeds are tuffer to place. If placement could be assured then I do not think I would have an issue.

Where's the market? There's so many good breeders with good proven dogs, that are no accident. You better win alot of trials and derbies over the next 50 yrs. You better have alot of capital and time to invest. Sounds like you'll have a new full time job, but you just might not get paid for your hours. I think you really haven't thought this through or your buzz is about to wear off and become a hangover.

Only a pointer we are not downgrading ep we have several that are awesome dogs as well as our vezlas we are just trying something new for ourselves and for future considerations as replacements

Dakotazeb yes it was an accident and yes we did have ther breeding pair previously checked for hips eyes and anything else the vet could stick us for . not for this reason of course but it happened and we have had great success thus far

Moellermd , fortunately my bieng a guide has gotten this breed noticed and we already have interested parties as to one of their own i fully understand the marketing game thats all raising a good bvreed is is marketing and we are not looking to strike it rich offf of these pups just simply have something new

we are not some fly by night breeders down on the creek in the middle of nowwhere we take our breeding very serious whether it be a purebred breeding or this situation. and I think all of the feedback is great and i welcome your thoughts on the subject. but I think there are alot of fine breeds out there aswell as everyone else but the bottom line is all breeds started from a cross somewhere in there gene pool and maybe this might not work out but if a person feels strongly about something shoould they not give it everything before giving up on it and just maybe this cross will evolve into the next awesome hunting dog of the future. Anyway please give me more info on the question

I have a little known french pointer pure bred that has a hankering for eating toilet paper and q-tips. Could somebody please tell me what ancient breed this dog was crossed with so I can have someone to blame his pathetic behavior on? The Charmin guy loves me so maybe it was his fault.

Back