High Plains Drought Monitor 2012

Chris, imagine the Farmer you will be when you do get moisture!!!!!!!!:cheers:

I thought we might get some relief with the snow. I know my pheasant camp is in the D4 status.

Yet another climate extreme to manage to.

Odd thing is I planted winter wheat on 50 acres on east farm and 50 on west and the east stuff was coming up a few weeks ago after that snow came thru week 2 of pheasant season.

I am a new farrner starting out in a D4 status. should be all downhill from here:D

If it gets a start, and the roots get some snow cover so the don't freeze burn. You might be alright if you get some early spring rain. What you don't want is an open winter with bare ground and a deep freeze. Or a mob off snow geese to root it out in the spring! If she busts, go back wth oats, or later spring wheat, if you use oats, might seed alfalfa in with it, with the oats as a nurse crop, cut the oats high, bale the oat stubble, when it matures hay the alfafa, normal rain would get at least 2 crops, this year, mostly 3 here in Missouri, and 4 next year? Best pheasant nest and brooder cover . It will make a profit, show cattail burners how it should be.

Looks like the moisture patterns have stayed way north into Canada but the upper plains are starting to catch some. Here in MN it rained quite a bit and I know the badge traffic in the Old Miss will appreciate the heck out of that.

The central plains are still lookin bone dry.

Whoops, maybe I am wrong on that one after looking at the weekly precip charts.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Precipitation/Daily.aspx

Last edited:
high_plains_dm1-13.png

You can get an app on your smart phone that shows the drought maps as well.

Back