High Plains Drought Monitor 2012

BleuBijou

high_plains_dm1-11.png

Wow that is not the best of starts,although most of the main pheasant belt in SD is in fair shape--hope it gets to the normal stage and stays there--great carryover = good nesting season = GREAT SEAASON:cheers:

Your just full of good news.......I cannot lobby congress about this....

None of us can!!!! Info has to be in by Tues. each week and posted Thurs. So some of this will change with the moisture that fell Tues and Wed!!!!! I will try and post each week like last year, if I slip, let me know!!!! Abnormal and moderate really does not bother me, because it can change pretty fast!!! But, it is a good indicator if you follow it all year as to where you hunt or are planning too!!! Especially if you just make one big trip!!

Well the corridor I hunt from Colorado, Kansas through South Dakota looks a little dry. I was considering SW North Dakota this year, so I'm monitoring that area as well.

Thanks for the information.

sdt

Guys, help me out here. I am missing the point. What is good news and what is bad news. IMO the Dakotas and Pheasants could use a little drought?

Chris, for those who follow what S.D. experienced last year with weather you are right. Where it was exceptionally dry last year in Ok, Ks, ans S.E. Colo need moisture. So another dry year here will be devastating as where you are it could be a tremendous year with some abnormally dry weather. You probably have good sub moisture still, while South of you has none. Last year where it was Red and dark red on the maps for the whole year really did not have much if any of a surviving hatch. Sure there were isolated pockets where irrigated ground was close.

Chris, for those who follow what S.D. experienced last year with weather you are right. Where it was exceptionally dry last year in Ok, Ks, ans S.E. Colo need moisture. So another dry year here will be devastating as where you are it could be a tremendous year with some abnormally dry weather. You probably have good sub moisture still, while South of you has none. Last year where it was Red and dark red on the maps for the whole year really did not have much if any of a surviving hatch. Sure there were isolated pockets where irrigated ground was close.

Thanks Blue, that makes a lot more sense now.

Blue, looks worse than last week right? Rains coming thru the region as we speak. Should be a different report next week.

Looks like all the numbers fell a little except d-1 !!! Looks good overall right now and with moisture coming in it will be better next week!! No need to worry anywhere yet in Bird Country!!! Fires maybe in the hills, but they are expecting 1-2 ft of snow now!

West central and eastern SD should improve quite a bit. I went to Glendo WY(VERY DRY) Sioux Falls on Monday and the weekend rains did a lot of good. Saved some wheat fields in my estimation. Pile of rain in eastern SD last nite with more coming.

This year so far is looking so much better!!!! Still a lot of variables out there!!! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

high_plains_dm1-16.png

BB,

Looks like slow recovery. I hope the trend continues to get better. A slower recovery at this point is better than a fast recovery given that nesting season has started.

I may have to make a trip down to SW Kansas and see if I can get my dogs on thier first Scaled Quail this fall. :D

SetterNut,

You better have a good pair of running shoes:rolleyes:

Back