Heading to South Dakota

Blackelim

My son, his wife and I are headed to South Dakota this Friday!!
We have never been there and are hoping for a successful public land hunt.
We hope to make it an annual trip. We know we have a lot to learn this time, so we have been spending a lot of time dog training and getting ready.
Wish us luck and send any tips and pointers my way. I have been reading everything I can on this forum and appreciate every posting you guys have been putting up.
Thanks!
tessa a 11-6.png

Treat it as a vacation first and as a hunting trip second. You will never be disappointed. There will be a learning curve for your group and pups. Enjoy the journey. Good luck headed your way. First year is always an adventure.
Come prepared. Boots on the ground.

You have ample time in the mornings to scout areas. If it looks good get out and hunt it. Weather can change on a dime so be prepared not only for yourself but your pup.

1500 miles is going to be quite the road trip if you’re driving. My number one advice to you is stop and get a physical hunting atlas map. Can pretty much get them anywhere. You can use the virtual one but I love physical copy because we’re always taking notes in the property and it goes in my tote to use year after year. Notes include where we saw birds how good habitat was weather conditions when we hunted etc.

I always worry about ice preventing birds from getting to food. I’ve seen when a rain storm wil come through and then freeze ground and birds can’t get to seeds on ground. Is this a co cern yet?

Well I’m driving from San Diego so having a lot of warm clothes means taking everything I have!
Dress warm, but not too warm. It's easy to over dress and then sweat right through your clothing after 15 minutes in the field. Buy hand warmers and stick them in your gloves, and have neck protection to keep the wind out.

1500 miles is going to be quite the road trip if you’re driving. My number one advice to you is stop and get a physical hunting atlas map. Can pretty much get them anywhere. You can use the virtual one but I love physical copy because we’re always taking notes in the property and it goes in my tote to use year after year. Notes include where we saw birds how good habitat was weather conditions when we hunted etc.
My daughter in law is in the National guard one of her jobs is Styker vehicle captain so she has had map navigation training, therefore she is the designated navigator. We will pick up an atlas.
Thank you

Idaho make a great point about the hunting atlas, I do the same, I also print out specific counties and make notes on them as well. County maps area little easier to view and navigate with, these maps are also georeferenced and you can download them in the gps apps, then you can navigate via your phone with these maps. I like using Avenza, you can track your hunt and add information and it is saved. If ice is still a concern might want to get creepers for your boots so you don't slip and injury yourself.

Lots of good advice here. I'll add a couple things. First, if you are working a piece of public ground, have checked out the "better" parts (ravines, trees, thicker grass, etc) and aren't finding anything, move on to the next parcel. Pheasants don't always have to use public ground and if they're not there, don't waste all your time and energy. If there is snow on the ground, even a dusting, look for tracks. It's the second best indicator of pheasants in the vicinity, outside of your dog. Lastly, be out in the field the 90 minutes before sunset. This is when the birds will come back to roost on public land for the evening and is going to be the highest percentage time to be hunting. Good luck!!

There is a place north of Gregory where I knocked on a few doors.One guy let my hunt for 10 bucks.We got some birds at that place, and at that public place by that bar.

Idaho make a great point about the hunting atlas, I do the same, I also print out specific counties and make notes on them as well. County maps area little easier to view and navigate with, these maps are also georeferenced and you can download them in the gps apps, then you can navigate via your phone with these maps. I like using Avenza, you can track your hunt and add information and it is saved. If ice is still a concern might want to get creepers for your boots so you don't slip and injury yourself.
I had to look up what "creepers for your boots" are. Can't find those in San Diego

Back