He is risen!

M. R. Byrd

The cross at the buffalo jump at the Byrd Ranch.

stick17Jun08263.jpg

May you and yours have a Blessed Easter.

He is risen indeed. Thanks Maynard.

Last edited:
wishing everybody a blessed Easter.
That is a great picture.:)

Great picture Mr. Byrd. I'll however not get into my beliefs regarding Easter on this forum though... :rolleyes:

Seems "safer" that way doesn't it?;)

That is a nice pic Maynard! You could sell some of your photos to this guy that travels around selling KS landscape photos in the malls and at events if you were intersted.

Yes and give till it hurts:D

Whoa on the "indeed He is risen" stuff boys!! It's only Good Friday.:) Still got one more day left until Pashca/Easter!

Nice pic too:thumbsup:

Beautiful pic Maynard & I'm doing a lot of contemplating and reveling with you in all that this wknd stands for (it's the most beloved Holiday/Celebration of the year for me) - not trying to push my beliefs on any of you polite boys rolling the eyes, just rejoicing in what I know He's done for me!!! PEACE :10sign:

@ tobymac: Just curious, what kind of music do you happen to like with a name like that??? ;) :D

A little history of the cross at the Byrd Ranch-

In about 1958(I would have been 7 years old), the three churches in our little town asked to do a sunrise service at our buffalo jump. I remember helping my older brothers(15yo & 18 yo) put up the cross. I remember the cars parking below the bluff, but I don't remember the cross staying up. In September 2005 I hosted a birthday party at the ranch for my 90 year old mother and had the idea to put a cross back on the historic buffalo jump. I enlisted the help of a close family friend that lives 200 miles east in the beautiful Flint Hills of Kansas. I asked him to look for a straight twenty foot hedge post(Osage orange). On a neighboring ranch to him there was at one time a "post farm" where they raised Osage orange trees specifically for post. My friend finally found a suitable tree there to harvest the twenty foot post, a tree over a hundred years old. He brought it to the party and we put it up.

My hope was to start a Easter sunrise service again, but erosion has taken a toll where the cars once parked and some work needs to be done to accomplish that. I hoped that this year with our attendance at the Heaven Bound Cowboy Church in Dodge and my brother's return it would happen, but his passing and my surgery, has put it off until next year.

When my son lost Kirwin, his beautiful black lab, the cross was selected as his burial site. Then later I lost Duke, my beloved Drahthaar, and he too was buried at the cross. Doubt if it will happen, but when the day comes, I too would be happy to be buried at the foot of the cross.

Last edited:
Maynard,
Don't need to ever hunt your land, but I would have almost driven out to visit you just for that one! Now that's my idea of a sunrise Easter Service!!! Love the family history/memories & hope you can manage to pull it off again someday... :10sign:

We have a huge city-wide outdoor sunrise service every year here in Denver @ Red Rocks Amphitheater (averages over 10,000 people annually), but looks like there may be 4-6" of snow under everybody's butts this yr - just about par for the course up here livin near mountain country - PTL anyway!!! :eek: ;)

Maynard,
Don't need to ever hunt your land, but I would have almost driven out to visit you just for that one! Now that's my idea of a sunrise Easter Service!!! Love the family history/memories & hope you can manage to pull it off again someday... :10sign:

We have a huge city-wide outdoor sunrise service every year here in Denver @ Red Rocks Amphitheater (averages over 10,000 people annually), but looks like there may be 4-6" of snow under everybody's butts this yr - just about par for the course up here livin near mountain country - PTL anyway!!! :eek: ;)

I have not been to Red Rocks, but that should be an awesome place for a sunrise service, even with a little snow.

I need to do some work at the cross site, plus the fact it is over a mile from a road(not even a good one at that), I need to do some work for auto access. My brother thought he could get that taken care of, but time didn't allow.

Heaven Bound Cowboy Church will go the the Ford County Lake this year for the sunrise service, but I hope I can host it next year.

Back