• Total voters

duppy

Which birds do you find hardest to hit?
Here is my list from hard to easy.
1 Ruffed Grouse ( because of cover)
2 Dove
3 Quail
4 Pheasant
5 Woodcock (they just fly so slow I don't have a problem with them)
6 Can. Goose

I haven't shot enough ducks to make a judgement on them.

Since I've never hunted ruffled grouse I would have to go with doves. They dip and dive for no reason. Gives a great tune up for pheasants. Not that they usually stay around long in this part of the country (South Dakota). Really suprised that there are still some around now with all the cold temperatures we've had the last week.

If you look at how many shell people shoot to kill a few Doves, I would say the the numbers indicate Dove are harder, over all of the ones above.

Can't say on woodcock or ruffies, since I have never have hunted them. I would say dove and a few varieties of ducks can be very deceiving.:cheers:

1st doves. 2nd quail, more specifically mountain quail which are very tough because of terrain, trees, and dense brush.

My most difficult bird to hit is a long par 3... Where you're asking yourself if you want to go strong 4 iron or a real easy-swing 5 wood. And if the green is small and there is a strong wind, you might as well just write down bogey or double-bogey for me every time... I take a photo and post it on Facebook if I hit a bird in that situation, because it's so rare.

Wait, what was the question? :confused:

Historically, I have probably wasted the most ammo on quail. I had a bad habit of standing there and watching the whole covey flush and switching my eyes from bird to bird to bird instead of just picking one quickly and firing. The covey flush was an effective shock-and-awe move by the quail. And I also had a bad habit of peeking when other birds were following behind the bird I intended to shoot. I was a real conservationist of quail back in the day... :laugh: I'm still not a great quail shot, but at least I have identified the problems, and make an effort not to repeat them.

All the rest can be easy or tough depending on the conditions and what kind of day you're having. Even doves can be a high percentage shot if you don't let them tempt you to get sloppy or trigger happy.

Never shot at a woodcock or a ruff.

Hungarian Partridge, hands-down.

1. Chukar partridge
2. Dove
3. Quail
4. Pheasant

A willy old roosters in a 40 mph wind will kick my arce every time. :confused::eek:

Like somebody mentioned earlier, for the masses it has to be doves based on the shells they go through to kill 15 birds. It simply amazes me the stories I hear from friends here in Texas during dove season. There are some really pizz poor shooters out there, lol.

I'd say it's a forest grouse. When you have to throw rocks or sticks to get them to fly out of the tree they flushed and landed in, shouldering your gun and getting a good shot off is really tough:D

Then Chukars. After they made you climb 600 vertical feet, and surprise you with a flush as your bent over sucking wind...come to think of it, Blues do the same thing!

Lol, I've missed a lot of Blues doing the same thing. Much easier if you have a friend with to throw a stick for you.:cheers:

And I voted for Quail, since Huns weren't listed & they are both sudden flushing, fast flying ground-skimmers, and small targets.

Since we are not talking about the hardest bird to kill, but the hardest to hit, I would also have to say Doves. More shells used per dove hit than any other bird. Erratic flyers that never seem to fly in a straight line. Wild Quail in the trees are tough little buggers to hit too because it's hard to focus on just one during a covey rise.

Back