Hang on Here we go again!

sdviking

Well we have had a slow melt over the past two weeks. Most of the moisture has soaked in which is good news. Some hill tops are now exposed giving the pheasants and deer some feed relief. But Tonight NE South Dakota is suppose to get icing and tomorrow anywhere from 3 to 16 inches of snow. Then next week we warm back up into the 30s before we have another chance of a blizzard. I will tell you this, pheasants are one tough bird. Wish them luck. SDviking

I'm pretty proud of our pheasants. They endure a lot.

I consciously avoid the "pen raised" conversation as I understand there are lots of places across our country that quite simply cannot sustain populations of wild pheasants. But some places can sustain numbers and so much of that is due to the incredible survival instincts and methods of the Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. And the birds we chase have 100+ generations of surviving winters like these. Not all of them survive. But some do. And that makes them pretty darn special, in my humble opinion.

Same storm is heading my way in MN today. Last night got some rain and a clap of thunder too.

Today, more rain, and then turning to heavy wet snow later this evening. Could be 4-6 inches by Saturday morning.

Kind of getting sick of this even though all the moisture is good long term for a drought. Spring can show up anytime for good.

I'm pretty proud of our pheasants. They endure a lot.

I consciously avoid the "pen raised" conversation as I understand there are lots of places across our country that quite simply cannot sustain populations of wild pheasants. But some places can sustain numbers and so much of that is due to the incredible survival instincts and methods of the Chinese Ringneck Pheasant. And the birds we chase have 100+ generations of surviving winters like these. Not all of them survive. But some do. And that makes them pretty darn special, in my humble opinion.
Yeah, pheasants are great birds.If you are some hack,with a cheap shotgun, and a 8th grade education, you do not deserve to hunt these honorable birds.

Yeah, pheasants are great birds.If you are some hack,with a cheap shotgun, and a 8th grade education, you do not deserve to hunt these honorable birds.
What the heck kind of statement is that?

Goose you're an enigma! I can't tell if you're a redneck or an elitist with a couple PHDs.:unsure:;)
College educated, with a graduate degree. I don't think every person should be allowed to shoot a pheasant. In the 1600s,only the king and his court were allowed to hunt birds. Slaves and commoners hunted big game.Food for thought.

That's probably right,or setters.
Which at the time were also spaniels. Setting (pointing) spaniels. I have nothing against other breeds, but if a man really wants to be true to the tradition of bird hunting, while also adhering to the highest class & standards, he hunts with a spaniel. :ROFLMAO:

Well we have had a slow melt over the past two weeks. Most of the moisture has soaked in which is good news. Some hill tops are now exposed giving the pheasants and deer some feed relief. But Tonight NE South Dakota is suppose to get icing and tomorrow anywhere from 3 to 16 inches of snow. Then next week we warm back up into the 30s before we have another chance of a blizzard. I will tell you this, pheasants are one tough bird. Wish them luck. SDviking
1680893247283.png
Well I have seen a drop in the number of pheasants over the past 10 days. But this could be that some hill tops are now snow free and the birds could be spreading out. I still have pretty good numbers around the farmstead. Snow geese migration has just exploded in NE South Dakota. SDviking

Back