Habitat Project 2016

SDJIM

Time for another habitat project, this will be by far the biggest project I've done. This time it's 75.5 acres of nesting cover with 5 acres of food pots in addition.

This will be a fall dormant planting with this mix

Western Switch Grass at 35%
Green Needlegrass 20%
Little Bluestem 20%
Sideoats Gama 10%
Slender Wheatgrass 5%
Maximilian Sunflower 2%
Purple Prairieclover 2%
Prairie Coneflower 2%
Common Milkweed 1%
Stiff Sunflower 1%
Western Yarrow 1%
Illinois Bundleflower 1%

I'll post some pictures showing the progress of this project. Hopefully this will provided some much needed nesting cover. :D:cheers:

Pictures as is 19 nov 15

Last edited:
I love a lot of the species in that mix your using. I bet the birds will also love it! Nice job!!:10sign:

I am not positive, but I believe green needle grass may be one you may want to check on for awns. I think they be another harmful one for awns in dogs.

Being a cool season grass Green Needle grass should have dropped it seed long before hunting season.

If it were me, I would see if they can leave that out of your mix.

Uses
Rangeland/hayland: Green needlegrass is well suited for use in mixtures for range seeding, critical area establishment, mineland revegetation, wildlife habitat, and other plantings where the establishment of native vegetation is the objective. This species is nutritious, palatable, but decreases under grazing use. The awns are not as troublesome to livestock as with other needlegrasses.

SDJIM ,

I have always enjoyed seeing and hearing about yout habitat projects , we own land in Kansas and try to continually upgrade our habitat.

I assume you make most of your living farming ? , how would you suggest we ask , encourage other operators to consider putting in habitat ( I am mainly thinking buffer strips either close to riparian areas or along wooded areas where yields are less )

What would rub a farmer wrong ?

What approach would Likley work ?

Nope. Canada rye is also a cold season;) Right now is when it is deadly. Dry and ready to kill.

I don't know about the rye grass, but green needle is native here and it has dropped seed long ago. It does have a little awn but nothing like needle and thread or porcupine grass. I don't care what Jim plants but I would not worry about it if it was on my land. Cheers.

SDJIM ,

I have always enjoyed seeing and hearing about yout habitat projects , we own land in Kansas and try to continually upgrade our habitat.

I assume you make most of your living farming ? , how would you suggest we ask , encourage other operators to consider putting in habitat ( I am mainly thinking buffer strips either close to riparian areas or along wooded areas where yields are less )

What would rub a farmer wrong ?

What approach would Likley work ?

First--I am just an old city boy (Rapid City SD is home) I have the good fortune to have a wife who owns her family farm. We are retired and I made some good long term investments and we cash rent the farm ground.

We made a decision about ten years ago to do as much habitat work on the farm as we felt comfortable doing. With this years project we will have about 220 acres in habitat and yes we lose income on every single acre.

Some farm for wildlife and charge to hunt and that's ok. We provide habitat for wildlife at a considerable cost because we can and most important --we want to --that simple. :)

So I really don't have answers for your questions---hope you can work something out and good luck.

Last edited:
Jim we are about the same , my mom and dad bought back Mom's family farm in the late 80's . My dad enjoys the cash rent upland / big game hunting , I enjoy upland and hunting with dad and sharing it with family and freinds . At times the CRP payment per acre of been same as cash rent .

We would like to encourage / assist others if interested to do some of the same . Can't wait to see the pics of your habitat improvement next spring !!!

Very impressive SDJim. I wouldn't worry about the green needle either. The seeds are long gone by August and for sure gone by October. I am Jealous!!

Man, Jim you're living the life. I'm looking forward to see how things progress over the next couple of years. Thank you!

Nick

Looks great Jim. Can you post the scientific name of your switch grass? I'm looking for a switch grass that will work on drier soils.

Thanks much

Jerry

Looks great Jim. Can you post the scientific name of your switch grass? I'm looking for a switch grass that will work on drier soils.

Thanks much

Jerry

Here is a picture of another of my projects---the new planting will be just behind the tress beyond the ATV. The switch grass is 1. Rosawa Western Wheat Grass and 2. Alkar Tall Wheat Grass

Now that is looking good. Haymaker I hear ya and think what Jim does, you or anyone for that matter, is awesome. After seeing the devastation of what "Awns" do to dogs. I will always put my 2 cents in. People can take it or leave it. I use my fields and training places year round, not just December. That said, as I said "if it were me", I would not put any variety in that has awns. Especially when there is so many others to choose from. Awesome pics Jim.:thumbsup::10sign:

Now that is looking good. Haymaker I hear ya and think what Jim does, you or anyone for that matter, is awesome. After seeing the devastation of what "Awns" do to dogs. I will always put my 2 cents in. People can take it or leave it. I use my fields and training places year round, not just December. That said, as I said "if it were me", I would not put any variety in that has awns. Especially when there is so many others to choose from. Awesome pics Jim.:thumbsup::10sign:

I understand and respect your concern for the dogs. I just really don't believe there is a problem with green needle. The name sounds bad but I have never had a problem with it. Happy hunting.

Another win for Jim and wildlife!:cheers: Great work.

Back