Habitat Project 2016

I read about all the hard work you gentlemen are putting into restoring habitat and the positive results you are seeing. It is very exciting to see that there are some people still in love with the restoration of habitat and the proliferation of pheasants. My question is how are you preparing for this legacy to continue? I am not concerned about myself but thinking of passing this legacy down to my grand kids.

Thoughts?

Speaking just for myself it is being a steward of the land. It is not just about pheasants. I learned it from my father who learned it from his. As we learn more about soil biology and have new equipment I hope I can take it to a higher level. In my case pheasant hunting as a business helps to finance habitat development. The more hunters that come and hunt here the more I can invest in habitat. I hope I can pass the business on to my children when I pass the land to them. If I can do this successfully there will be a place for future generations to hunt and enjoy the great outdoors. People hunt waterfowl, deer and coyotes here. Everything we do is about taking care of the resource. If we take care of the land it will take care us. We have changed the way we graze and the way we farm. We are doing research to help us improve upon the improvements that we have already made. It all starts with the soil.

Last edited:
Cover

I would plant trees or fast growing shrubs around the field. I'm a tree guy and plant as many as I can on the prairie. This will also help hold the birds and other wildlife, but the first few years is labor intensive keeping the weeds out and watering. Keep us posted on your project.
RLH

Dennis,

I was touched by your words of wisdom and pledge to habitat restoration; this is one hunter that appreciates all you do in that regard and I missed our connection this winter!

Dennis,

I was touched by your words of wisdom and pledge to habitat restoration; this is one hunter that appreciates all you do in that regard and I missed our connection this winter!

Thanks for your kind words. I was just trying to answer tanners question. I do take it seriously, soil health is particularly important to me as it is the foundation of everything in particular clean water. If you get out this way stop in.

Speaking just for myself it is being a steward of the land. It is not just about pheasants. I learned it from my father who learned it from his. As we learn more about soil biology and have new equipment I hope I can take it to a higher level. In my case pheasant hunting as a business helps to finance habitat development. The more hunters that come and hunt here the more I can invest in habitat. I hope I can pass the business on to my children when I pass the land to them. If I can do this successfully there will be a place for future generations to hunt and enjoy the great outdoors. People hunt waterfowl, deer and coyotes here. Everything we do is about taking care of the resource. If we take care of the land it will take care us. We have changed the way we graze and the way we farm. We are doing research to help us improve upon the improvements that we have already made. It all starts with the soil.

I give that a :10sign:

Well my habitat project is currently on hold as the field is a little wet.

The dugout is a bit full

This last picture shows the running creek that feeds the pond and it runs only after heavy rain and is gone in a day or so, but it has been running since the 20th of April It is way to wet to plant any thing---I guess time will tell

Last edited:
Well almost had things dried out enough to plant and did get one 5 acre food plot in and then last night we got 3.54 inches of rain between 10 pm and 2 am and it's flooded every where. Can't even get close to the new pond-- it is going to be to late to plant the 75 acre project this spring and not sure about the 30 acre plot with the pond. Darn! :(

Well time for an update. I have two habitat projects open. one is a 75 acre duck nesting project that is going to get planted in Nov I hope and the other is about 33 acres that is a mega weed field right now--gonna try for a spring planting on that.

One must be alert when it comes to habitat projects as I got the official plans all singed and ready to be planted this coming spring on 4 CP-33 strips that expired this year but signed up again and I thought everything was just fine---WRONG as I checked all the paper work I found that the seeding plan called for Canada Wildrye at 25% of the mix---after I told them I would not accept that.

It is all straight now :rolleyes: but you better believe I will be in the field when it gets planted and I will check the mix for correctness.

Congrats Jim. You are really going to town on the projects. You will be rewarded with boo koo birds.

Don't forget to design those food plots into the grass areas. We believe that proximity to food sources for nesting hens makes the nesting cover more productive all year round.

I like 2, 2 acre strips per 80 minimum and maybe 2, 1 acre strips for 20 acres of grass.

PS. I am coming up on my 15 year anniversary of my first CRP project. 4 acres of FWP and 12 acres of trees. Hopefully I can get it renewed for another 15.

Last edited:
The fruits of Jim's labor.

A young mans first rooster.

And some very happy dogs and guests.

:cheers: To Jim and his projects.

pictures added

Aidan and his first rooster

Aidan on right--the lab Albert-- Aidans dad Tony

Nothin better than watching a young man get his first Rooster

Last edited:
Well the 75 acre project got planted last month :thumbsup:---and I stopped by the seed company to pay the bill--Sticker shock time-- just a tad over $13 K :eek:... A forb rich planting costs a bundle. I will get a cost share back from the CPR contract---still it was really eye opening, but it will be a really great place for a pheasant hen to raise a brood.

Photos to follow

Sounds like a great project and the wildlife near this habitat will greatly appreciate your efforts, well done SDJIM!:10sign:

Well the 75 acre project got planted last month :thumbsup:---and I stopped by the seed company to pay the bill--Sticker shock time-- just a tad over $13 K :eek:... A forb rich planting costs a bundle. I will get a cost share back from the CPR contract---still it was really eye opening, but it will be a really great place for a pheasant hen to raise a brood.

Photos to follow

:thumbsup::10sign: Your a great steward of the land Jim. Hope you get to enjoy your work for many years to come, How did you fair with the Canada rye issue? Did they work that out? I had the issue of some still being in the USDA drill I rented. So I had to roundup it for 5 years and kill it. But I did eradicate it.

I got a correct planting but only after I had to tell the NRCS folks that I would not accept any Canadian wild rye--they changed that part to green needle grass. When the planting took place I inspected the drill and it was OK.I also got a chance to inform the young man at the seed company after he asked me why I was using green needle grass as to the dangers to dogs and told him to go look at the MEAN SEEDS web site. Several days later I was back at the seed company and he told me thanks for the heads up on danger to dogs--I believe his exact words were " I had no idea it was dangerous"

Now if it would only rain a little. :D

Back