Guys with only one dog

It really depends on the weather or who I am with. Alone, Sophie will be in the crew cab 150 with me. She usually will take up a stronghold in the backseat on top of my hunting jacket. Did I mention she likes Jason Aldean also? If wet or muddy, she is in the dog box. This is also true if we encounter a skunk or when she occasionally finds that dead carcass to roll in. Dog box until Sophie gets a bath.

I usually have her in the cab for someone to talk to and eat lunch with. She is my hunting companion, therefore I treat her as such.:)

Glad to hear Sophie's good taste in music. After South Dakota last November, "Dirt Road Anthem" has taken on a whole new meaning for my partner and I. Seem to find more birds on "B" roads, then driving back listening with you know what in the console. Don't get much better.
To appreciate the song even more, you need to check out Brantley Gilbert's original version of the song. Mentions loading up the dog, and , 12 gauge pump. This version contains unsuitable material for younger listeners.:cheers:

In common

Hello Birddog456,

Your writings are proof that we hunters have much more in common than just birds, dogs, and roosters. Thanks for the music leads. I will follow up on them.

Mr. Aldean put on a fantastic concert at the UNI Dome February 18th in Iowa.

Seen him at Summerfest last year, going to Country Thunder in July.:cheers:

If anyone is looking for a good company that does custom kennels for trucks and SUV's take a look at Northstar Plastics out of MN they make some really nice kennels and drawer systems and they aren't outragous in price. Talked to them about a 4 dog with drawer system for the back of a truck and it was $1900.00 so not to horrible for something that will last longer than me or any vehicle I own :10sign:

On long trips I just feel that they (labs) are safer in their dog crates in the back of the truck. I usually strap the crates down to the bed of the truck for added protection incase something ever happens. I do have the topper on the back of the truck. Now if I could get the dogs to wear the set belts I might let them travel up front with me. I do let them ride up front when we travel from field to field if they arent to wet and dirty. But for the most part they are in the bed of the truck in their dog crates.

I have 4, but only take one at a time. Many times they just ride on the seat. But I don't hunt more then 5 miles from home often, or just walk from home. It depends on how muddy they are,LOL. I have a wagon to use which holds 2 big crates in the back, or the truck with the topper. So I do both I guess. Trials I have one in front now and the fleet in the back topper, in crates.

Keeping the dog warm

What do you put in the crate or dog box for padding or to keep them warm? I have seen some guys use straw, is that a good thing to use?

Straw and a blanky.

Well, as long as they hunt I dont care how spoiled. Max and Baja now get peanut butter samiches when they are hunting to supplement their energy levels.:p

royal flush are you knocking your benelli? my favorate gun is my sbe2.

Nope, quite the opposite. Love both of mine.

The signature line is just some good-natured fun directed at myself - for all the 'classic' over/under or side by side guys out there.... you know, the 'traditional' upland folks. :D

That's all - no more, no less.

Last edited:
i have a wagon and the back seats fold down and never get put up. plenty of room for dogs and gear. i have a brittany and he roams the back area. after a long day, sometimes i'll let him ride up from and i'll turn on the heated seat and he is out like a light. 95% of the time he is in the back, but not in a kennel.

REALLY A BLANKY ????? how spoiled are your dogs? lol :cheers:

Can never spoil a good dog too much! Mine get steak whenever any one in our family celebrates a birthday. I prefer to call it a reward for doing their job above and beyond the call of duty. :thumbsup:

Can never spoil a good dog too much! Mine get steak whenever any one in our family celebrates a birthday. I prefer to call it a reward for doing their job above and beyond the call of duty. :thumbsup:

Exactly. They are my buddies, my partners and they deserve to be treated as such.
I pack each one of them 2 peanut butter samiches. WHen we take a break, they get a snack.
Especially the male I have. He runs very hard and I want to make sure I keep his tanks full.

Crate in the back of the SUV.

Back