Guys with only one dog

Madison COunty

Question,

You guys that only have one dog, when you go hunting do you let it ride in the truck/cab with you or does it ride in a dog box?

You guys that only have one dog, when you go hunting do you let it ride in the truck/cab with you or does it ride in a dog box?
If I'm hunting solo, Gunner will usually be in the cab with me.

If with another that doesn't have a dog, Gunner is sometimes in the cab with us -- especially if really cold.

If with another that does have a dog, Gunner (and the other dog) goes in the dog box.

Mine rides in the front seat going and in the back seat stretched out sleeping on the way back. I have a dakota crew cab 4x4.

The access cab area of my Tacoma belongs to Hank (A Mud River seat cover blanket installed in reverse keeps the area clean & keeps Hank in the back. The back seat area of my Wrangler, minus the seat belongs to Hank. The back area of the Caliber belongs to Hank. The back of my partner's Explorer belongs to Hank & Sophie (although Sophie debates that initially.). On a long trip, I'll put Hank in one of his crates inside the access cab of the truck. To continue . . . the right side of the love seat belongs Hank (as does my right thigh/dog pillow), and so does the left side of the bed; the right side of the bed belongs to Sadie, my 8-pound Jack Russell aka "The Bitchy Boss." I squeeze into the 9-to-15% in the middle & they tolerate that. Hank's daytime/when I'm at work kennel dominates a third of the garage. I clean-up all of the dog-fruit in the yard, provide fresh water, grooming, treats, and provide all premium food, plus pay the license & Vet bills, provide entertainment, and take them for rides. Someone please explain the Alpha pack leader thing to me again . . . I think I have it all wrong. But . . . I wouldn't have it any other way . . .

Last edited:
been here before never ever in the cab of the truck in the box and that includes sleeping at night a real pet peeve of mine to each is own though.

It really depends on the weather or who I am with. Alone, Sophie will be in the crew cab 150 with me. She usually will take up a stronghold in the backseat on top of my hunting jacket. Did I mention she likes Jason Aldean also? If wet or muddy, she is in the dog box. This is also true if we encounter a skunk or when she occasionally finds that dead carcass to roll in. Dog box until Sophie gets a bath.

I usually have her in the cab for someone to talk to and eat lunch with. She is my hunting companion, therefore I treat her as such.:)

Depends on temps...but usually in the truck to the farm (55 miles); then in box from field to field.

I have three dogs but if I hunt close to home with 1 sometimes i let my female ride in the cab. Usually they are in the kennels.

Even if I hunt just one dog they are in thier kennels. Just feels safer that way. I have had my male ride in one from day one, the other day I tried to ride him in the back seat and he was a nervous wreck.

Hoping to never have an accident with my animals with me, but if I do it just feels kind of like a seat belt for them.

I have two Goldens and drive a Suburban. Both are kenneled. If I had one dog it would be the same. They actually rest more when in their kennels and not flying around from seat to seat, and the safety factor.

On that note, does anyone want to share their set ups in thier vehicles?
I am working on importing my 3rd KM and I fifgure I better get a better set up then the 2 dog crate system I have.

Lets see what some of you hunting pros have!

you said Pro's, I'm at the other end of the rainbow but here's my 2 crate home made shelf- these are XL crates, plywood, carpeted for quietness, 2 wrapping paper size bins, 2 guns down below and another between the crates.

and a partridge in a pear tree..

Last edited:
you said Pro's, I'm at the other end of the rainbow but here's my 2 crate home made shelf- these are XL crates, plywood, carpeted for quietness, 2 wrapping paper size bins, 2 guns down below and another between the crates.

i like your organization in your suv benn there just hate the smell of dogs on a long trip

Very cool! My Explorer has third row seating so then the seats dont lay flat. I would love to do something like that.

Wondering where the third one will go.:eek:

I might have to hit you up on how to get it done. I have no mechanical skills anymore.

He's got to choose. I have a tahoe got the seats out in the back. But he can ride in the front if he wants. Got seats covered:thumbsup: group of us he rides in the back and licks the guys in the middle:).

Dog Boxes

If you use a dog box in the back of your truck bed lets see some pictures of them. I only have one dog now, what kind of boxes do you guys have?

Even if I hunt just one dog they are in thier kennels. Just feels safer that way. I have had my male ride in one from day one, the other day I tried to ride him in the back seat and he was a nervous wreck.

Hoping to never have an accident with my animals with me, but if I do it just feels kind of like a seat belt for them.

My sentiment exactly! Had a friend that lost her life as well as the dog, riding up front, got excited knocked her arm and the steering wheel into oncoming vehicle. Thought that could never happen to me, my dogs are too well behaved. One day dog bumped my arm wanting attention, caused me to swerve...that was it! ALWAYS in the back in kennels. Also, too many encounters with pole cats...5 times.Will they ever learn?

The access cab area of my Tacoma belongs to Hank (A Mud River seat cover blanket installed in reverse keeps the area clean & keeps Hank in the back. The back seat area of my Wrangler, minus the seat belongs to Hank. The back area of the Caliber belongs to Hank. The back of my partner's Explorer belongs to Hank & Sophie (although Sophie debates that initially.). On a long trip, I'll put Hank in one of his crates inside the access cab of the truck. To continue . . . the right side of the love seat belongs Hank (as does my right thigh/dog pillow), and so does the left side of the bed; the right side of the bed belongs to Sadie, my 8-pound Jack Russell aka "The Bitchy Boss." I squeeze into the 9-to-15% in the middle & they tolerate that. Hank's daytime/when I'm at work kennel dominates a third of the garage. I clean-up all of the dog-fruit in the yard, provide fresh water, grooming, treats, and provide all premium food, plus pay the license & Vet bills, provide entertainment, and take them for rides. Someone please explain the Alpha pack leader thing to me again . . . I think I have it all wrong. But . . . I wouldn't have it any other way . . .
Real ending to this...
Watching Hank work a rooster....PRICELESS!!!

Back