gun case

Phil V.

What type of gun case does everyboby use?Is it a hard case or cloth type or not at all.I've been looking for one and not sure what to get.I will not be going on an airplane with it just carry it in the truck. The only thing is gun laws in different states on what type of case to use.Thanks Phil

I have a couple 2 gun hard airline gun cases and three hard gun cases for broke down O/U's. They are really never used. I like a nice well padded soft gun case for my upland shotgun's and rifle's. I use camo waterproof floating gun cases for my duck guns.

I use a hard lockable aluminum case; as one of the places that I hunt requires that the ammo and gun be in separate secured areas. But I also have several padded cases.

For backups I've got some cheapy $20 Wal-Mart soft cases, I've got a decent double gun aluminum hard case.

The one I use more than any is a Redhead (Bass Pro) heavy duty canvas quality padded soft case. I'm pretty sure Boyt made it, as the stitching, zippers, grommets, etc are all identical. It was $100 or so, but they had their 'soft' cases on sale at 50% off in a flyer one day. I got 3 of them, but they didn't ring up as half off. The flyer was intending on it being the promotional cases only. Quick talk to the manager and he confirmed that it really was a soft case so I got the deal.

One of my hunting buddies shoots both a Browning Citori and a Beretta 391. He insists on bringing them in the factory hard cases, so the guns are always unassembled. What a pain in the butt. For Christmas, I'm getting him a good soft case so he can come to the field with his guns put together.

Case

I really like the Drake floating cases. They can be opened full length to dry if needed. Tough as nails too.

I always use a good padded soft case. The one I use the most is a Bob Allen with a zippered pocket on the side for my other choke tubes.

I just don't understand guys that take a hard case into the field. Granted they protect your firearm but they a cumbersome, bulking and not very functional.

I like the hard case for travel but switch to a good soft case for camp to field use.:thumbsup:

Thanks everybody it's going to help me to decide on what to buy for traveling. I know some states can get a little sticky on what you have them in as well as ammo.

I have two of the canvas type boyt cases for my guns. They are well constructed and have a nice soft liner and a pocket for choke tubes.

i like hard cases. they stay dry and protect gun from abuse. can throw it in back of truck abnd take off. case also holds shells, lube. and bore snake.

I have a bunch of different ones but I usually use my Cabelas green canvas ones. I have about 6-8 or them and I have bought them on sale over the years and have never had a problem. Good zippers and well padded. I do have a Boyd that I use if I break the gun down into two pieces but most of the time I carry them assembled.
I haven't used a hard case for years.

Ditto the Boyts. I carry rifles with optics on them in hard cases, however.

I too use soft cases for hunting. Just easier to slide the gun in and out of the soft case everytime you leave or get back to the truck. I have hard side cases when the guns are broke down.

The one thing I have found with soft cases is that I was always tearing up the quilted lining when I was sliding in the gun. Might be my chokes. I found that Orvis makes a soft side case but it has a fake sheep skin type lining so there is nothing to tear up.

Back