gearing up for 10 day solo road trip

K9 athlete has some products like Hydrate and Recover.
It was back ordered last year before my road trip and was able to find K9 Power GoDog on Amazon. They both mix with water and dog likes it, has a chicken broth flavor.
I asked my vet about probiotics before and he said add some plain canned pumpkin or canned beets to their food at night. A tblspn or two.
I’m a 1 dog guy and barring any injuries, my gsp has hunted 6 1/2 days straight.

Any recommendations on fuel for dog during lunch break?
Water, shade, rest in the kennel. Unless they have a problem and need something special/extra with electrolytes, carbs, sugars, etc., there's really nothing more needed. A high fat (peanut butter) or meat only protein (summer sausage) snack really isn't going to provide them with any source of carbs (energy) that they can turn into energy for the remaining few hours of the day.

Boot dryer
Hit up the Double Barrel in Henry, SD just down the road from Watertown for dinner.

made it a point to hit up the double barrel in henry on my way to watertown last monday night. got the ribeye with sweet potato fries and salad bar. thanks for the recommendation

If you are looking for evening entertainment, you aren't hunting hard enough! The paracord for conibear trap release and small cable cutters are items most don't have but the danger is very real. South Dakota allows "kill" traps.

South Dakota allows "kill" traps.
The conibear traps I am well aware. Are there any snare traps that will harm a dog? My buddies who trap have shown me both conibears which I know how to release and snare traps, which I think are generally supposed to trap an animal around the neck. I think 99% of dogs would not be harmed by a snare, it is the same as being staked down on a leash. Once a dog I was hunting behind got snared in a trap. She was standing there when I walked up, and I simply backed the snare off, removed it from her neck, re-set it, and we were on our way. From my understanding the conibear traps are the only ones to really be concerned about. Neck snares do not strangle a dog and are easily backed off, so why carry a wire cutter? If I'm missing something here please let me know, I do my best to be prepared for everything.

I am more concerned about snares than conibears. I know in Iowa you must have 330 size (any with an opening over 8") conibears under water (primarially used for beaver) but this is not the case everywhere. 220 size would likely be for racoon and much lower on the ground. Saying this, my bubbies dog managed to get a foot caught in one once, it happened right in front of me. Seemed to be an odd placement for the trap. Snares are uses for coyotes, which would likely be found where you pheasant hunt and are the size of your dog. They are designed not to release without help. If your dog would get in one and struggle, you better be able to find him quickly. Dogs with deep fur would make the release more difficult. Foot-hold traps would be more likley encourntered than conibears in grasslands, you need no tools to release thoses. Snares are likely placed in trails, tires tracks in CRP would be prime locations to place snares. Foot-hold traps likley will have a bait or lure scent to attract the animal, your dog might check that out, if the action is slow. If I know someone is trapping a field, I do not hunt it, due to respect to the trapper and potential harm to the dog. A little off the original topic.

Back