gearing up for 10 day solo road trip

That does sound like a fun week. Cell phone & charger, have a credit card and a wad of cash, just in case. Are you eating out or eating outdoors? Could be nasty in a couple weeks. At least a sack of road snacks and whatever your drink preferance is. Check your tires air pressure, fix any slow leakers. Maybe getting carried away, not like eastern SD is void of lodging, restraunts and everything else you'll need. Know how to use the camera, expecting pictures now! Good luck and safe passage to you.
Haven’t decided about meals yet. I figure I’ll get makings for sandwiches and the like for field lunches and try to find local flavor for dinner.

Ran into a couple guys last week from Texas or someplace who'd just driven over a chunk of metal on a minimum maintenance road. Terrible place to change a tire the old fashioned way. They had a tire plug kit & a small air compressor.
As mentioned earlier, tow strap! 20' heavy duty!
Jumper cables.
Check your spare tire pressure.
Spare key hidden outside the car/truck.
Assortment of bungee cords, ropes & ratchet straps.

I wouldn't spend much, if any, time hunting in the Watertown area. Birds have been way down in this area for quite a few years. My first three times out around here on public land this year I saw 1 hen and 1 rooster.

Chunk of plywood to put your jack on if needed
I can second that one. A few years ago had a flat and literally could not find anywhere with firm enough ground to change it. The jack sunk into the ground everywhere. Eventually walked a ways to a neighboring farmhouse and was very luckily greeted by a nice guy who drove his tractor down and lifted up the back of the vehicle with a chain and bucket so we could change it quick.

I wouldn't spend much, if any, time hunting in the Watertown area. Birds have been way down in this area for quite a few years. My first three times out around here on public land this year I saw 1 hen and 1 rooster.
im hoping to be in the huron area monday morning, get lucky and finish up before lunch. then head up to watertown to take in the museum. stay the night in or around watertown and head southwest at sunrise to give it a go again.

Um ok, Maybe it's not the greatest place in the world my buddy lives by henry and hunts public around there all the time, h.e slays then hunting alone with his brittany, im a lab lover but he's a good dog and he knows what he's doing and is a good shot

Um ok, Maybe it's not the greatest place in the world my buddy lives by henry and hunts public around there all the time, h.e slays then hunting alone with his brittany, im a lab lover but he's a good dog and he knows what he's doing and is a good shot

Just out of curiosity, is your buddy in his early 30's and was a pretty solid football player back in the day? Good kid. Crazy about pheasants.

Got something against me today, he was to busy rodeoing for football
Apparently I was thinking of someone else.

And please know that I'm not trying to start anything. Just looking for some friendly dialogue, even if it varies from person to person.

I will be leaving Vicksburg, MS on 11/6 and hope to arrive in SD on 11/7. I will have my 12 month old lab with me and plan to bounce around public walk-in areas in east SD until we have to head back south on 11/15.

I'm in the process of making vehicle and gear preparations. So far, I plan to pack:
Gun and case
Ammo
Clothes
Boots
Vest
Hat
Gloves
Dog Kennel
Dog Bed
Leash
Food/Water Bowls
Bucket of dog Food
Large water container
Cooler
Pocket knife
Poultry Scissors
Ziplock Bags or vacuum sealer
FAK
Blanket
Towels

What are other must-have gear items (hunting and automobile) should I consider for a comfortable 2500 mile road trip?

I am not tied down to any particular destination town at the moment and I am open to staying in several different towns during the week. I hope to have time to take in the Redlin Art Center in Watertown on Monday (11/8) afternoon or Tuesday (11/9) afternoon. I am also researching community calendars to see what kind of after-dark entertainment activities might be going on, if anyone knows of anything worth checking out.

Thanks in advice.
Howdy.
I agree with the board, not only for tire jack emergencies, but i use it as a cutting board for cleaning birds and cooking (with a small bottle of bleach for use between the two). Also, im planning to check stores on the way and make sure that i have plenty of shells. Im finding it very difficult to find anything that i feel is worth shooting this year. You might find shells easier to come by out east.
Also, when im hinting alone, i bring my mtn bike. In this way i can use my truck as a blocker or leave it somewhere to save time returning if that trip back to the truck is through unproductive habitat.

Im gearing up for a simular solo trip (although of course my yellow lab is coming along) around the same time, although since im heading up from Colorado i was thinking about hunting the areas around and south of Pierre. Thanks for the post, it helped me with my planning. What type of vehicle do you have? I'm planning on sleeping mostly in the back of my camper shell with a few nights in motels when my nose begins to be offended by my own presence.

Last edited:
Howdy.
I agree with the board, not only for tire jack emergencies, but i use it as a cutting board for cleaning birds and cooking (with a small bottle of bleach for use between the two). Also, im planning to check stores on the way and make sure that i have plenty of shells. Im finding it very difficult to find anything that i feel is worth shooting this year. You might find shells easier to come by out east.
Also, when im hinting alone, i bring my mtn bike. In this way i can use my truck as a blocker or leave it somewhere to save time returning if that trip back to the truck is through unproductive habitat.

Im gearing up for a simular solo trip (although of course my yellow lab is coming along) around the same time, although since im heading up from Colorado i was thinking about hunting the areas around and south of Pierre. Thanks for the post, it helped me with my planning. What type of vehicle do you have? I'm planning on sleeping mostly in the back of my camper shell with a few nights in motels when my nose begins to be offended by my own presence.

I will be in a white Nissan Xterra with MS plates.

If current my back issue would be greatly improved by then, we could get you a quick limit of Iowa roosters on your way home.
.... fighting a bad sacral iliac myself... tylenol, Salonpas lydocain patch, TENS machine and a heated driver's seat.... three days at it with a break today

I wouldn't mind meeting your buddy from Henry. I'm running a Brittany also. Could be a fun hunt.

You guys should try east of Gregory about 10 miles.I think it's the main paved road.There is a good place out there.

Back