Gatorade for Dogs ??

rjbert2

Two years ago while hunting I noticed a hunter from another group giving his dog a colored drink. I couldn't help myself, my couriosity got the best of me. I had to ask what he was giving his dog to drink. The young man said "Gatorade".

Granted, I've never done this myself, but I haven't forgot what I saw that day either and have been courious ever since. My Vet said not only is it not a good idea, she said it could easily kill your dog.

I don't claim to be "all knowing" on this subject by any means but from what I understand the dogs don't need Electrolytes as we do. Because we sweat to help control our heat issues and welcome the Electolytes to replace the lost fluids.

The dogs need the water cool themselves and to cut the film and siliva from the back of their tounge. This help them breath more effeciently. I think I have this right.

I did pick some of this infor up a month ago or so and wanted to get some input from some here. By the way this suprised me. http://www.sportdog.com/Gear/Canine-Athlete/C9-Hydration.aspx

This site is constantly amazing me with the great amount of knowlege and insite I get form it. So chime in. OK...there have been some not so amazing things to. Thats called "balance"

not to be rude or inconsiderate but seriously why waste money on something that is soposed to be scientifically great for your dog what is wrong with plain water and a balanced diet it worked for years in the old days before all this advertising bs and peta and i don't buy into it just plain ol water and good foog for my dogs and they hunt all day and no complaints

Never had a dog need anything but clean H2O. If hunting in high altitude and high Temps just know what the symptoms to look for of dehydration. :)

Ditto just water. Can't say I have not checked in to all sorts of re hydration gimmicks though. I have many times. I have found nothing that impresses me. Multidextrin (Spelling??), can be some help in serious situations of over exertion and hot days. I have no idea about gatoraid, I don't give a dog anything for humans, food or drink.

GCB and Zeb, said it best good FRESH, COLD water is all your dogs needs. You don't have to worry about them drinking it right. When they are thirsty they will drink until satisfied. My dogs have water avaibile to them at all times. I have a quart bottle that I carry for field water while hunting. It has a squirt top and the dogs learn to drink from it.........Bob

My mentor gives his dogs Rehydrate. It's a tablet you disolve in water that is basically Gatorade for dogs. I can't prove it works, but I do KNOW that his dogs haven't been harmed by it. I'm still toting the fresh water because 1: it's free from the tap; and 2: I'm cheap and broke!

Don't misunderstand my thoughts here. I still think the best thing is fresh cool H2O and good quality food. I always carry the water with me. I agree completely.

After I saw the young man giving his dog some Gatorade that day, I just couldn't forget it. I honestly didn't know what to think at the time. Then I saw the Ad for the "Sport Drink for Dogs". I couldn't help myself, the pictur of that day came right back front and center. I thought it would be an interesting thread.

I'm in the class of "the old fashioned" also. They (mfgr.) are going to have to come up with some very hard core proof this is a great benifit to my dog's before I run out and pay big dollars for something that makes me feel good about giving it to my dog.

NOT SOLD ON IT!!

Save your money on the electrolyte supplements for dogs. Dogs don't sweat like humans, therefore they don't lose much in the way of electrolytes. The little they lose in panting is not high in electrolytes. There's tons of info on this.

Fresh Water on the other hand is very important and one that can be often overlooked especially during winter time. During training or hunting I always add some fresh water to the feed at the end of the day to ensure they are getting enough.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any studies that have found anything better than straight water for dogs (or hunters for that matter). I hunt with a Quilomene vest and I give my dogs a drink every time we take a break, in really dry, windy weather that may be every 15 minutes or so. I carry a minimum of 10 gallons of water in the truck so I can have fresh water for them every time we come back to the truck. One thing that worries me about sports drinks is the sugar. I don't like the idea of my dogs having a sugar rush which is then followed by a crash.

I am not aware of any studies that have found anything better than straight water for dogs (or hunters for that matter). I hunt with a Quilomene vest and I give my dogs a drink every time we take a break, in really dry, windy weather that may be every 15 minutes or so. I carry a minimum of 10 gallons of water in the truck so I can have fresh water for them every time we come back to the truck. One thing that worries me about sports drinks is the sugar. I don't like the idea of my dogs having a sugar rush which is then followed by a crash.

I also used to carry water in 5 gallon jugs in the truck. Got tired of liftin the jugs in & out 20 times a day when hunting hard. Last year I built a aluminum tank that hold 18 gallons with 2 valves one on each side. Fits in the 2" reciever hitch. Works like a dream. Added a 12volt oil pan heater that plugs into the 7 wire connector. Water never froze.:cheers:

I also used to carry water in 5 gallon jugs in the truck. Got tired of liftin the jugs in & out 20 times a day when hunting hard. Last year I built a aluminum tank that hold 18 gallons with 2 valves one on each side. Fits in the 2" reciever hitch. Works like a dream. Added a 12volt oil pan heater that plugs into the 7 wire connector. Water never froze.:cheers:
Great idea!!! Most of the time bringing the water jugs in at night worked but a couple of days last year it was cold enough to freeze before noon if I left it in the back of the truck. If you have a photo I'd like to see it.

Great idea!!! Most of the time bringing the water jugs in at night worked but a couple of days last year it was cold enough to freeze before noon if I left it in the back of the truck. If you have a photo I'd like to see it.

Here is a Picture of the water tank. I welded it from some scraps. It has two baffles inside and a spiggot on each end. Holds about 18 gallons. Last year I added a 12v oil pan heater that plugs into the trailor wiring harness. It installs in the 2" reciever in less than a minute. In extreme freezing weather, I normally drain the tank a night, then refill at the motel in the AM. With the 12v heater plugged in, I have never had the water freeze. You can also heat the spiggot using a small plumbers propane tourch in real bad freezing conditions. I just got tired of lifting 5 gallon water jugs 20+ times a day on hunting trips. Also allows for more room in the back of my huntin rig.

OKIEgunner,

Great idea. Is the heater hooked up to the "Running Lights" side of the line or do you have it switched? How is it on the battery?

Thanks for the Pics.

Again...Great Idea!!

Ric

OKIEgunner,

Great idea. Is the heater hooked up to the "Running Lights" side of the line or do you have it switched? How is it on the battery?

Thanks for the Pics.

Again...Great Idea!!

Ric

I pull power dirrect from the 7 pin trailor connector (Running Light). No switch, just plug it in only when driving. Could easily add extra battery in the loop, just never seen the need, So Far.

Thanks.

Got to love good old fashioned American Ingenuity. I'll have one for this fall.

With two Dad's, two young boys, and two Dogs I'm always trying to find room. I'm now at the stage where I've considered a trailer. For now, this would help and be a little cheaper.

Thanks again

Here is a Picture of the water tank. I welded it from some scraps. It has two baffles inside and a spiggot on each end. Holds about 18 gallons. Last year I added a 12v oil pan heater that plugs into the trailor wiring harness. It installs in the 2" reciever in less than a minute. In extreme freezing weather, I normally drain the tank a night, then refill at the motel in the AM. With the 12v heater plugged in, I have never had the water freeze. You can also heat the spiggot using a small plumbers propane tourch in real bad freezing conditions. I just got tired of lifting 5 gallon water jugs 20+ times a day on hunting trips. Also allows for more room in the back of my huntin rig.
That is pure genius.

That's pretty cool, you should put those on the market!:10sign:

you know- this 5 hour energy drink- they are advertising so much

anyione give it to their dog to see if it is all hype
afterall- what's good for a human has to be better for a dog

I pull power dirrect from the 7 pin trailor connector (Running Light). No switch, just plug it in only when driving. Could easily add extra battery in the loop, just never seen the need, So Far.

you need to market that. how much to build me one??:D

Back