Firearm caliber for hunting with flushing labs

We're all just a bunch of guys sharing a common interest, and some of the particulars of that interest, right?

And, because we only know each other from random posts on the internet, there's likely to be a wide variety of perspectives from which we, individually, see things, I betcha.

So...be nice if great tolerance be extended to one another in any discussions, because...really...we're here to understand and help one another.

We can offer our experience as examples, but should never expect someone else to have precisely the same take and history as our own.

I think that's right, isn't it?

:cheers:

20 yards

Ya, I struggle with all of em'. Every one I put in the pouch is a gift. I enjoy all aspects of the experience so much that it doesn't really bother me that I'm a little " light in the shorts" when it comes to dropping them. I still have great fun, and learn / improve from every trip.

We're all just a bunch of guys sharing a common interest, and some of the particulars of that interest, right?

And, because we only know each other from random posts on the internet, there's likely to be a wide variety of perspectives from which we, individually, see things, I betcha.

So...be nice if great tolerance be extended to one another in any discussions, because...really...we're here to understand and help one another.

We can offer our experience as examples, but should never expect someone else to have precisely the same take and history as our own.

I think that's right, isn't it?

It's really too late to make that much sense:10sign:

Last edited:
Ya, I struggle with all of em'. Every one I put in the pouch is a gift. I enjoy all aspects of the experience so much that it doesn't really bother me that I'm a little " light in the shorts" when it comes to dropping them. I still have great fun, and learn / improve from every trip.

I've missed some 20 yarders in my day. Then I missed him at 30, and 40:)

I've missed some 20 yarders in my day. Then I missed him at 30, and 40:)

And then scooped up and threw a handful of gravel for good measure, saying "THAT'S RIGHT, YOU BETTER KEEP FLYING, YOU SUMBITCH!!!" Oh wait, that was me... I did that... :laugh:

@ the OP,
If your frame can support shooting and carrying a 12 gauge, that's what I would use, especially if you intend to use your flushing labs to hunt waterfowl sometimes also. But even if you only want to shoot pheasants, a 12 gauge is the ticket for wild birds. I remember another hot thread from the past was "which is tougher to bring down, a pheasant or a duck". About 1/2 the guys on this site would have you believe that pheasants are tougher than the terminator...
Anyway, 12 would get my vote as the ideal pheasant/waterfowl gun.

Last edited:
And then scooped up and threw a handful of gravel for good measure, saying "THAT'S RIGHT, YOU BETTER KEEP FLYING, YOU SUMBITCH!!!" Oh wait, that was me... I did that... :laugh:

yup lol been there and done that. now one gets them all. Thats why we hunt them They scare the shit out of you when they get up. Gun goes right to the shoulder. Thats why I hunt them.:thumbsup:

After 20+ years of hunting with various 12's, a few years ago I picked up a light 16 (Ithaca model 37 pump), modified choke, and have never looked back - my arms are no longer tired at the end of the day! It's good to about 35 yards. If you're not too picky about your ammo, Wally-world and the like always have a few boxes of 5's or 6's. Perfect upland gun, IMO.

Oh, and I do hunt with a flushing lab!

This! Hard to beat this combination.

I stand by my post, know your dog....I carry my shot gun on a sling over my shoulder all day, never have I missed a rooster because I didn't know there was a bird in front of my dog. I've missed because I've shot to fast, showing that it is not that easy to hit them at 20 yards, its like throwing a baseball at them! I need the beach ball to hit mine.
What ever gun fits you is the right one! Good luck

This! Hard to beat this combination.

Thanks Lefty - I think my point about weight has been lost in the "dialog" since then. Some people think there's a downside to shooting a light/ultralight gun, but it's never been a problem for me. I do know that I drop the barrel far less when shooting at that sunset rooster with the 16 than with any of my heavier 12's. The M37 fits me better overall anyway, but that 1.25-1.75 lb less weight makes a huge difference. That said, I'm not going to go out after honkers or toms with it! But THAT said, I do hunt turkeys with another M37, 12ga, 30", full choke - patterns as tight as the x-full screw-in choke on my 870 - and it's still a lot lighter.

Another good thing about a 12 is the wide availability of ammo.

One of the sweetest guns was my brothers 28 ga. Remington 1100. He traded the gun before telling me what he planned to do. I would have bought it.

That gun killed plenty of roosters.

Pretty hard sell to say "any" gun will out perform a 12ga LOL. It ain't gonna happen.:laugh: But for some folks that need a lighter load just to be comfortable some of the others foot the bill fine for them. But the 12 bore is certainly much more productive in range and knock down power. And the versatility of the loads is unmatched of coarse over any other caliber.

Last edited:
I shot a few:) birds with a 16 single shot, it was great, kept my interest going.
I have friends that have 20's and 28's, they also have heavy game pouches, and do well and have a great deal of interest going.

I like the old 12 pump. #4-5 heavy Fed field loads for the upland and #3 Fed premium non-tox for the Mallards and WMA's. I tone it down for Huns, #6 field load early season, later they get the heavier loads.
Don't ever take a 20 yard shot. More like with the full choke 40 yards or so.
Pretty rare that I have the sick feeling of a lost, wounded bird. :)

The 12 ga is King there is little doubt. I hunt 90% of the time with my 12s. Got three autos, but my pump seems to be my favorite.

But my 12s never see the grouse woods. 20ga over-under.

All this talk just got me thinking about the Model 12 16ga (circa '40s or '50s). My father in-law gave it to me a few years ago. That gun has to get out to the field. :thumbsup: Soon.

When I used to shoot skeet, I knew a guy that would break more clays with his 410 than any of us could with 12s and 20s. Never hunted with him to see if he could take that into the field.

There is no right or wrong on this issue, only preferences. Shoot a bunch of different guns if you can. See what feels right . Sixteen gauge ammo is available or if you reload you can cut the cost down considerably. Have fun with your search and decide what works for you.

Back