Firearm caliber for hunting with flushing labs

steelbull85

I'm looking at getting a new shotgun for next season and was wondering what caliber everyone prefers for hunting over flushing labs? I know I could use a 12ga and have no problems, but I'm wondering if a 20ga would be effective. Since labs flush and often won't hold the bird until you get right up on it, I'm wondering if the 20ga would limit my effectiveness? I would love to get a 16ga, but for the availability and price of the ammo I think it will be either 12 or 20. What are your thoughts?

First off Welcome to UPH. Glad to have you join us on the boards.:)

You can't go wrong with either a 12 or 20 both will work just fine. The 20 will limit the amount of shot your throwing out there at the birds. It all boils down to your shooting skills anyway. If you are a good shot a 410 or 28 gauge will work just fine. It all comes down to your shooting skills. Lots of us have been moving toward the sub-gauges as we grow older. If for nothing more, than the challenge of the shooting sub-gauge guns.

I like the 28 gauge for quail it makes it super fun, and challenging.:thumbsup:

I only have 20 gauges. They are plenty for any of the upland birds.
My shots with pointing dogs will be closer than you will have on average with a flusher. But I am sure that a 20 will get the job done for you if that is what you like.

the 20 ga would be fine for you. I wouldn't let 16 ga ammo stop you from considering it though. Ammo can easily be found online and shipped if you cant find it local. I started using my 16 this year and was very happy with the results.

My lab is a flusher and my father, couple of my buddies have killed birds with a 20 gauge over her. I like to keep her in pretty close but not where we could be walking over her our pushing her to fast where she could run past birds and if the shooter does there part the 20s put them down.

Using a flushing dog just means your shots are going to be further out. Then it comes down to shooting ability as JMac said. So I think it really boils down to personal preference and what you are comfortable with. With practice either one will work.

20 ga prairie storm #6 worked real well for my 12 yr old son this year over labs. I use the #5 out of my 12 and liked it.

As the late great Tom Knapp said when questioned why he used a 12 versus 20 when pheasant hunting. "I am here to kill not shot"

Hunting with a flusher doesn't mean all shots are going to be longer. Depends much on cover, weather conditions and time of season. I hunted over pointers for many years and don't find much difference in length of the shot. In december last year, in the cold and snow, we took limits of birds all within twenty five yards or so. I tend to keep the dog in range most of the time and often shoot a twenty. The birds fall just as dead. It is also nice carrying a 5.5 lb gun all day:)

If you can handle a 12 ga., you'll never have too little gun. You can always open the chokes and lighten the load if need be. More flexibility with a 12 ga. But they can get heavy in a big field and on a long day.

I'm looking at getting a new shotgun for next season and was wondering what caliber everyone prefers for hunting over flushing labs? I know I could use a 12ga and have no problems, but I'm wondering if a 20ga would be effective. Since labs flush and often won't hold the bird until you get right up on it, I'm wondering if the 20ga would limit my effectiveness? I would love to get a 16ga, but for the availability and price of the ammo I think it will be either 12 or 20. What are your thoughts?

hi if you look through some of our old post you will find more than a few opinions on what you need for a gun. many of us older farts have gone to smaller lighter guns but then, most anything will do. a couple of things to consider is that in general, all shot goes the same speed or at least can be made too, it all goes the same place as long as the chokes stay the same and all pellets of the same size have the same amount of energy, hairs could be split here but in general it is true. the one thing that changes a great deal is density and that is regulated by either choke used or number of pellets. in as much as virtually all pellets have enough energy to kill pheasants to 30 yds. what you are looking for is enough density to insure enough hits to a vital area. nearly all pheasants are are killed at or about 30 yds. statistics on birds shot over 40 yds show a troubling trend with losses to the 40% or more regardless of the gun, shooter, or shot size. i have saved many of my records over the years, mostly hunted over one type of dog or another, have a long list of killed birds of all types, nearly all have been killed with a 20 ga or small and most in the last 10 or so years have been shot with my 28 ga. or one of my muzzle loaders. i use small shot, like 7 or 7 1/2's mostly. this year, the geese i shot were with my 28 ga. over decoys using 6 steel and i deaded them like right now. if you can't hit them it don't make no diff. what you shoot at them. pick something you think you will be happy with and learn to use it but do some home work, bigger is not better, my last turkey i shot with the .410. kinda depends on how ya like to hunt and what you expect out of it. good luck too ya. one last thought. if i were in a need to kill pheasants the gun i would chose would be a 16 ga. sxs built on a light or 20 ga. frame, using 1 1/8 of # 7's, copper or nickel shot going about 1450 fps

cheers

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I wasn't sure if having labs would increase my shot distance significantly and require a 12ga over a 20ga. Reading many of these posts makes me realize that it probably won't make much difference, and as long as I train my lab to stay within range that I shouldn't have a problem with a 20ga. Thanks again!

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I wasn't sure if having labs would increase my shot distance significantly and require a 12ga over a 20ga. Reading many of these posts makes me realize that it probably won't make much difference, and as long as I train my lab to stay within range that I shouldn't have a problem with a 20ga. Thanks again!

You know driggs uses a 28 gauge and hunts with labs and seems to do ok. I haven't succumed to that affliction yet. Maybe if he is not too busy being a moderator he would share his experience with you:D

Which gun

I shot 12s until last year and then went to 16. Between Farm and Fleet, Walmart, and online, I haven't had any trouble finding shells. I can't hit anything beyond 25 yards so all I can do is hold my dog really close and pray. I like the 16 though, it's something different, and it seems to fit me better than other guns that I have owned over the years. I wish I could have tried some other gauges and guns out, but I just sort of lucked out and got one that worked for me. Good luck finding the right one. Just the looking part is part of the fun I think.

After I had surgery (shoulder) I bought a 20 ga. and almost used it exclusively - for both sporty's and pheasants. I used low base shells vs 3' or magnum.
When I increased the shell to 3" the gun kicked more, perhaps 30-50%.

Last season I shot my A5 12 ga. Used 2.75 pheasant loads. Better pattern, more kills but heavier to carry.

"Shotgun Report" (gun web site) talks about gun weight, auto vs over/under, shell size and how all relate to shoulder kick. Seems there are trade-offs, and personal preferences...much to think about!

Back