Firearm caliber for hunting with flushing labs

After 20+ years of hunting with various 12's, a few years ago I picked up a light 16 (Ithaca model 37 pump), modified choke, and have never looked back - my arms are no longer tired at the end of the day! It's good to about 35 yards. If you're not too picky about your ammo, Wally-world and the like always have a few boxes of 5's or 6's. Perfect upland gun, IMO.

Oh, and I do hunt with a flushing lab!

Last edited:
All I use are 20's & 28's. They are quick, deadly, & a delight to carry.

splitting hairs

You know I haven't moderated anything yet Carp!

Yes, I switched to a 28 last season after using only a twenty for who knows how long. The only time I felt I needed more was late season when I passed on more shots because the birds were more skittish. Other than that, I think it actually may have killed birds better than my 20 did. Some say they have a square load and thus pattern better. Maybe the gun just suits me better than my 20 does. It could quite possibly be that because it is such a joy to carry that I'm fresher all day long. I don't really care why. At this point in my life, a lot of things are more about how I do it, than the results of doing said thing. I feel good carrying a nice, light SXS to hunt birds, it just feels right.

technically the 28 ga. is a better shooting gun than the 20 ga. it just out and out patterns better, has to do with the curve of the inside barrel diameter. out of all the common guages, the 20 comes in last. what will this get you in the field, well, if you not out trying to get a limit of hummingbirds, not much. the 3" shells in the 20 ga. besides outrageous in price shoot horrible patterns, those 20% extra pellets you are paying for are doing nothing but filling in the holes caused by too much shot going down those tubes. not all guages have this problem but the 20 ga. excels at it .

cheers

Welcome to UPH !!:thumbsup: Whatever you decide, please handle and shoulder a few to get a good fit. A good gun broker will help you with this. If your gun doesn't fit you properly it is not going to matter what Gauge you get. It will just frustrate the hell out of you.:cheers:

My feeling is that a 12 is probably the most versatile gun. Lots of people shoot 20 gauge. I just recently went to a 16 for game farms and closer shots. By all means make sure the guns fits you right when you shoulder it. That will help you shoot more birds than any certain gauge. Price on the gun has no reflection on how well you will shoot. Buy the gun that fits you even if it only cost you $200. Better than paying $2,000 for a nice gun that you can't hit anything with.

Hunting with a flusher doesn't mean all shots are going to be longer. Depends much on cover, weather conditions and time of season. I hunted over pointers for many years and don't find much difference in length of the shot. In december last year, in the cold and snow, we took limits of birds all within twenty five yards or so. I tend to keep the dog in range most of the time and often shoot a twenty. The birds fall just as dead. It is also nice carrying a 5.5 lb gun all day:)

Could not agree more.

As much as we thinks about gauge, shot size and chokes..... Knowing how to read your dog and being in position for the flush and shot is probably more important than most of the gauges we have to choose from. I seldom have a shot over 25 yards with my lab, most I have to wait a second or two so I've got a little pattern.
I shoot 12ga. steel 3" 1 1/4 oz 4's black cloud close range/mod choke and I've never killed one to dead.
I carry 3.5" in my vest also, never know when a flock of geese might get too close!
So my vote 12ga. For versatility, but for 90 percent of my shots a .410 would do if I was a good enough shot! :cheers:

You now this subject has been beaten to death on this site. It doesn't matter what gauge your use. Can you shoot? A 410 will work.

410 is both a gauge and a caliber. Its a 45 long colt. I shoot them in 3" out of my Judge. I shoot a 410 shotgun for quail all the time, I have no problems killing them Dead. Can you shoot or can't you.

You now this subject has been beaten to death on this site. It doesn't matter what gauge your use. Can you shoot? A 410 will work.

410 is both a gauge and a caliber. Its a 45 long colt. I shoot them in 3" out of my Judge. I shoot a 410 shotgun for quail all the time, I have no problems killing them Dead. Can you shoot or can't you.

I'm sorry if I offended you by asking this question. I'm sure you can tell by my post count that I haven't been on here long, and doing a simple search on gauges that people use didn't return an easy to read result list. Yes I can shoot. That wasn't my reason for asking. I know there are many types of dogs to hunt over and wasn't sure if different gauges are better used with certain dogs. I figured there are many hunters on here that have more knowledge on the subject than I, and I'm glad I asked because now I can make a more educated decision moving forward.....and yes I can shoot.

I'm sorry if I offended you by asking this question. I'm sure you can tell by my post count that I haven't been on here long, and doing a simple search on gauges that people use didn't return an easy to read result list. Yes I can shoot. That wasn't my reason for asking. I know there are many types of dogs to hunt over and wasn't sure if different gauges are better used with certain dogs. I figured there are many hunters on here that have more knowledge on the subject than I, and I'm glad I asked because now I can make a more educated decision moving forward.....and yes I can shoot.

Steelbull,

You didn't offend me at all. sorry if you read it like that. I was more offended by some of the other posts on here. LOL Your question is valid and I just answered it. Peace brother.:thumbsup:

Steelbull85, Your questions are helpful for other folks as well, that may not officially be a part of UPH but just lurking. The answers are sometimes not. Keep asking if you need help. It is the only way to learn besides first hand experience. I have been brought up with firearms since a small pup and I still to this day on occasion call shotgun shells bullets. I use it as a slang word I guess and people try to correct me all the time when I say," I am out of bullets" No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to firearms and firearm safety. Jmac is one that will help if he can.:cheers:

Steelbull85, Your questions are helpful for other folks as well, that may not officially be a part of UPH but just lurking. The answers are sometimes not. Keep asking if you need help. It is the only way to learn besides first hand experience. I have been brought up with firearms since a small pup and I still to this day on occasion call shotgun shells bullets. I use it as a slang word I guess and people try to correct me all the time when I say," I am out of bullets" No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to firearms and firearm safety. Jmac is one that will help if he can.:cheers:

Thank you Blue,

I did not mean it to sound mean in anyway. Its hard to communicate on the internet. Because there is no inflection, when reading. :thumbsup:

That's kinda like saying if you can shoot an open sighted 30-30 is as good for elk hunting as a 7mm mag with a good scope. Fine if you don't plan to ever shoot to far.

Anybody can snap shoot a pheasant at 20 yards and at that distance a .410 is as good as any but to use a 12 gauges to it's full potential you have to practice and get skilled enough to hit them at 40 and beyond.

Just a different perspective.

That's kinda like saying if you can shoot an open sighted 30-30 is as good for elk hunting as a 7mm mag with a good scope. Fine if you don't plan to ever shoot to far.

Anybody can snap shoot a pheasant at 20 yards and at that distance a .410 is as good as any but to use a 12 gauges to it's full potential you have to practice and get skilled enough to hit them at 40 and beyond.

Just a different perspective.

Yes that was my point. You better be a good shot with a smaller gauge shotgun. you are not throwing as much shot out there with them. I shoot a lot clays and skeet. I shot them with seravel small bore shotguns. I known people that can shoot a 410 as good as a 12 gauge. They know the limits of the gun. :thumbsup:

Actually a 30/30 would probably kill the crap out of elk in the right hands. Hence the question, "can you shoot?"
I have a friend that borrowed my open sight Marlin 336C in .35 Rem and he bagged a dandy bull elk with it. It comes down to shooting the right shot for you. And yes, a 12 is probably the best all around gauge for a shotgun.

John you and I are on the same page. hunting elk in juniper country. A scope can be a minus. You can't find it fast enough and the shots are under 100 yard quite often. :thumbsup:

Yes that was my point. You better be a good shot with a smaller gauge shotgun. you are not throwing as much shot out there with them. I shoot a lot clays and skeet. I shot them with seravel small bore shotguns. I known people that can shoot a 410 as good as a 12 gauge. They know the limits of the gun. :thumbsup:

Not much skill in shooting a pheasant at 20 or 30 yards with any gauge and I don't see a .410 as having what it takes beyond that.

I'm simply talking from a shooting standpoint, restraint and knowing your limits don't figure into that.

Not much skill in shooting a pheasant at 20 or 30 yards with any gauge and I don't see a .410 as having what it takes beyond that.

I'm simply talking from a shooting standpoint, restraint and knowing your limits don't figure into that.

why are you stirring the pot????? you don't know me or my friends. Quit it. add to the post or stand down.

Back