Firearm caliber for hunting with flushing labs

12 or 20 ga ?

Really? Most of my family has transitioned from 12 to 20 except for large waterfowl of turkey. if you are a decent shot and you hit the birds hard with a 12, there is probably not much left of the bird. I took a 12 Win SX3 on a goose trip in MN and we spent a day pheasant hunting. I am not a great shot but, exploded the birds. I shot an albino white pheasant and everyone was very disappointed that it was "goo". Learned my lesson. A 20 is more than enough and if hunting over dogs, the pheasant shots are not as far as you think. I use SK or IC in a 20. If you shoot the 20ga 1oz loads and high quality shells you will have good results and carry 6 lbs. instead of 7+ all day. Try the 20ga Benelli Montefeltro or Super Sport for a pleasant experience.
Good Luck.

This runs along the same line as big game hunting Cal discussion. IMO the best cal for moose is .300. But some guys I moose hunt with can't get past the recoil of the .300. A well placed shot with a .270 is better than a miss (or wounding shot) from a miss placed shot with a .300. Just have to know your range limits.

Same thing with 12 or 20. Which ever gun you can put the most pellets on target your better off with. With the 20 might just have to pass on a few shots you might take with a 12.

I carrry a 20.... I know I can shoot the best with that 20, just feels the best in my hands and I can be quick on 2nd shots if needed.

Reminds me of a early season woodcock hunt I was on, dog was rusty and needed a good point, and kill by me to remind him the game. He locks up on point about 6 feet in front of me.... Facing me. Woodcock busted out of the cornered spot he was in right between us, straight at me. Almost took my hat off. I was able to get my 20 off my shoulder(sling). Turn and make the shot. Not that I would shoot a woodcock with a 12 but don't think I could have done that with the 12. Just don't feel as smooth with it.

Gauge and shot

I had so many cripples last year with Fiochii 6s the first few days that I was out there that I switched to 4s, and boy did it help. When I miss, which is frequent, I miss clean. When I did connect with the 4s, the birds were dead when they hit the ground. It's my fault because I am behind everything and I couldn't get the broken wing and broken leg that I needed to put that bird in the pouch. I am amazed at how hard it is to kill later season pheasants, especially when you rear end them. This is out of a a5 16 gauge. Federal makes a 16 gauge shell with 1.25 ounces in 4s (wing shock) that I would love to try, but $34.99 a box at Gander, ouch. I know that shell would be a real butt kicker. No idea why they are so expensive. My dog just isn't real good at finding and handling the cripples, and that doesn't help either. A dead bird, she will have plucked and ready for the freezer bag by the time I get to her. Cripples are another matter. More practice shooting and dog training would be warranted.

One of my buddies down south hunts A LOT of birds over a Golden.
He raises birds and shoot in a lot of live bird competitions and benefit shoots.
he uses a 28 gauge with 3/4oz #6 shot and rarely has to use the second barrel on one bird!
The first year I sold it to him he had shot 194 pheasants before the end of October!!:eek:
DT

Back