Field gear for your pooch

Recon

Ok so I have a new pup that will get to go out and play this season and maybe stumble onto a bird or two, but I was wondering what are your recommendations for gear to buy and must haves when hunting with a dog. I looked and saw some post that answered what one might need/want if going upland game hunting but found very little as to what a new dog owner might want/need. So lets get the list started so I can explain the expenses well in advance to my wife :) thanks guys!
Rich
P.S.
if you say first aid kit I will need you to be a little more specific as to what I should have in one

Kennel
Kennel Cover
Containter for water
Dog Food/Energy Treats
Bowls (water & food)
Dog Vest
First Aid Kit (bandages, tape, vet wrap, EMT Gel, Stapler, Scissors, etc.)
Skunk Odor Removal stuff

These are some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure other will help fill in the holes.

1st aid kit add-0ns
Eye wash
Ear light with tips
Q-tips
Forceps and Pliers
Comb for Burrs

Note: A good water container that I like, is a 32 ounce Karo Syrup Bottle. Then wash out a Palmolive Dish Soap Squirt Top real good and you have a nice big water bottle for your dog. On warm days Tony will drain one of these while hunting in no time. I carry 3 of these in my SUV, but only one goes into the field at a time

Booties
Whistle

That is all I can think of at the moment. If you have questions as to the why of something we'll be happy to explain.........Bob

great question recon

good question recon,
george and bob beat me to this thread.:cool: they have hit, your list of need bee's on the head, i cant think of anything that, they missed, might be something, but i am sure someone on this sight will catch it, and let you/ us know. good luck. :)

With 2 dogs I carry a 3 gallon water container in the vehicle. My WingWorks vest holds 2 one liter water bottles that I carry in the field. In warm weather you just can't have too much water with you. My dogs have learned that when they get hot and thirsty they come back to me for a drink.

water

george,
great point, cant have to, much water. more dogs you run in the field , more water,you should carry. if you hunt areas that are wet, river bottums, creeks, and lagoons. im still prepared for dogs, getting over heated. just my over worry.:D

Dakaotzeb mentioned the dog vest. I would get a Skid Plate if I were you. My GSP Taz can explain better than I can as he is the one that got the maize stubble stuck in his chest. The skid plate has protected him ever since.

Jim and George I agree with both of your posts numbers 5 and 7. I carry a couple of gallon jugs for container drinking and refilling my vest bottles. I like the gallon jugs I can put them in the frig overnight. Then I have them nice and cold for the days hunt. That vest protector is really good I use a Remington which also covers the chest area real well.........Bob

Dakaotzeb mentioned the dog vest. I would get a Skid Plate if I were you. My GSP Taz can explain better than I can as he is the one that got the maize stubble stuck in his chest. The skid plate has protected him ever since.

I have a Skid Plate and also this vest from Cabelas.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20866&hasJS=true
I actually like the Cabelas better because the orange on top makes it a lot easier to spot my dogs. And it provides enough protection on the underside.

Oh, and add an e-collar to the list of dog gear.

with the chest protector make sure fits rght in the arm pits. we got my shorthair a camo lab vest and we had to cut it to almost nothing. be careful, with that said does the vest fit well on skinny pointers Dakotazeb

A good slip lead always comes in handy, also on hot days I like to put a frozen gallon jug of water in the dog boxes so they can rub and lick on them to keep cool while being transported to, from and between hunting spots. Oh and a crowbar to pry that grin from your face when your dog brings back that first bird.

Water, Water, Water

Ok so I have a new pup that will get to go out and play this season and maybe stumble onto a bird or two, but I was wondering what are your recommendations for gear to buy and must haves when hunting with a dog. I looked and saw some post that answered what one might need/want if going upland game hunting but found very little as to what a new dog owner might want/need. So lets get the list started so I can explain the expenses well in advance to my wife :) thanks guys!
Rich
P.S.
if you say first aid kit I will need you to be a little more specific as to what I should have in one

Early season can be warm, if not hot. No matter the temp, I always carry a plastic container for a small bowl and a liter of water in my bag so my dog can drink in the field.

One thing I carry that I haven't seen mentioned is a piece of rope in the extremely rare event that my dog encounters a conibear trap. A leash would also work, but I find a rope less cumbersome.

While most traps can be removed by hand, some conibears take a great deal of hand/arm strength. For anyone not familiar with how it's done, here's a link. While it's not mentioned, I find it easiest to tie a loop in one end to put around my boot, then I can pull with one arm and place the safety with the other. Also not mentioned in the article, the first step should be to rotate the trap off the dogs trachea if necessary, then proceed with removal.

One thing I carry that I haven't seen mentioned is a piece of rope in the extremely rare event that my dog encounters a conibear trap. A leash would also work, but I find a rope less cumbersome.

While most traps can be removed by hand, some conibears take a great deal of hand/arm strength. For anyone not familiar with how it's done, here's a link. While it's not mentioned, I find it easiest to tie a loop in one end to put around my boot, then I can pull with one arm and place the safety with the other. Also not mentioned in the article, the first step should be to rotate the trap off the dogs trachea if necessary, then proceed with removal.

Great link. That is good to know. Mods can you make the link a sticky
so everyone is sure to see it???

First Aid

So this is an extremely long post I stole it from a post on shotgun world but found it helpful in preparing for the upcoming season hope it helps,

Container
I like a tackle box... they come in many sizes and types... My suggestion would be, pick one you think is a little larger than you think you will ever need. :lol:

Warning:
NEVER give ibuprofen (Nuprin, Motril, Advil, etc.) to a dog. Ibuprofen is very toxic and fatal to dogs at low doses. Tylenol/acetaminophen is toxic to the liver. Aspirin/buffered aspirin/Ascriptin is safe for dogs and minimizes any stomach irritations.

Contents of the First-Aid Kit

Bandages:
Triangular Bandages. These are large bandages and have many uses, ie, sling, tie up a limb, hold a splint on... (about 50 cents each!)
Cotton gauze bandage wrap, 1" & 2" widths
Vet Wrap, 2" & 4" width
roll cotton batting
First-aid tape
Paper tape (1")
Ace bandage
Steril gauze dressing pads 3" x 3" or 4" x 4"
Regular & Butterfly Band-Aids
Q-Tips
New-Skin liquid bandage
Super Glue

Solutions/Ointments:
Eye-rinsing solution (saline solution)
Small bottle of 3% hydrogen peroxide
Alcohol, 90%
Panalog
Ear-cleaning solution, I use Alcohol and water 50/50
D5W (Dextrose 5% with Water) with an administration set... Excess fluid loss is death, i.e., excess blood loss, or diarrhea, especially in a young dog.
Epsom salts
Gentocin topical spray or a hydrocortisone topical spray Activated charcoal tabs (to absorb stomach material after induced vomiting)
Rescue Remedy
Pepto-Bismol tablets
Immodium (Loperamide HCL)

Antibiotics:
Antibiotic ointment for eyes
Antibiotic ointment for skin (Triple Antibiotic ointment)
Ben-Pen... very good broad spectrum, long acting antibiotic. SubQ administration 1cc/20#
Specific medications your dog may need
(allergies, seizures, heart, thyroid)

Cleaning:
Betadine solution for fresh cuts (dilute)
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl or similar antihistamine
Hot spot remedy
Bottle (small) of antibacterial soap

Instruments and related items:
Scalpul, with varied blades
Lidocane, 2%
Sutures, 2-0 with curved 13mm, 3/8 circle, reverse cutting needle. Always use a curved, (triangular) reverse cutting needle for dogs. The reverse curve cuts on the outside (dog side) of the curve so you don't tend to cut up through the margin. The 3/8 by 13mm with 2-0, 18" long, blue polypropylene, nonabsorbable are good, non-reactive sutures. (if you haven't learned to tie sutures, a Weck Visistat Skin Stapler works great. Very fast, easy to use. Don't forget a staple remover!)
Needle holders with built in scissors (Olsen-Hegar)
Velcro muzzle(you can also use gauze roll)
Sterilized clear plastic IV tubing in small segments for ear hematoma
Small, blunt-end scissors
Small pointed scissors
Tweezers= Straight forceps
Hemostats= hinged forceps, normal and 5'' alliagator for foxtail removal, ears/nose. Normal for pulling ticks, thorns, large splinters, cactus needles, porcupine quills)
Suture removal scissors... very handy for getting them out
Towel clamps (4) Great to keep an area clean while putting in sutures. I use paper towels and just clamp them together

Handy Items:
SAM Splint (This is a flexable splint that rolls up a bit larger than a pack of cigs and is very cheep. "Everyone should own 2 :lol: )
Matches or Bic lighter
small hand towels
Small and larger flashlight
Magnifying reading glasses... :lol:
Electric Fur clippers... VERY IMPORTANT... Hard to tend a wound with fur all over it.
Digital thermometer, with tip covers (Normal temperature for a dog is 100.5°-102.5°C)
Latex Exam Gloves... many uses!
Wet Ones (disposable moist towelettes)
Instant ice packs (2)
Shoestring (tourniquet) Tourniquets are quite dangerous and I will have more on this later. Never use a Tourniquet with snake bite.
Large plastic bag (ziplock type) to hold water.
Iodine tablets
Safety pins in several sizes
Space blanket
Ruler, etc., something straight, strong and light, to be used as a splint. You must prevent a compound fracture from flopping around and doing vascular/nerve damage before it can be repaired.
Sugar Cubes- great for hypoglycemia. (low blood sugar) Some dogs are able to work themselves into a low blood sugar state. Simple sugar is a redi fix.

Syringes:
1cc
3cc with 5/8 #25g needles for subQ injections and lidocane infusion, or subQ antibiotics.
10cc
Syringe w/o needle (for administering liquid medicines oraly,
putting ear-drying solution into ears, rinsing wounds)

Where Do I Get These Items?
Almost all these supplies can be purchased at a drug store (I buy sample sizes) or through a dog supply catalogs such as Foster & Smith or Omaha Vaccine that offer medical and first-aid supplies. Some items must be purchased through your veterinarian. Others can be obtained in feed store. Anything else... the internet of course!

Special Needs:
If you live in an area that has snakes, be sure to include a snake bite kit (especially if you are a tracker!)
If your dogs has severe allergies to bee stings ask your veterinarianfor any emergency medications that you might need in an emergency.

Serious Injuries:
If your dog has been seriously injured, the items in the first-aid kit are meant to be used until you can get your dog to your veterinarian or an emergency clinic. Do not take chances!

Restocking:
Go through your kit at least once a year (twice if in a hot climate) and check expiration dates. Be sure all the medications and supplies are labeled with their name and expiration date. Replace anything that has exceeded its recommended expiration date. Replenish any supplies that are low.

Suggestion:
Tape a card to the inside of the box lid with a list of common medications and the specific dosages for the weights of your own dogs. For example:

Benadryl: 1-2 mg per lb. every 8 hrs. (60-lb. dog, 2-4 25mg tablets every 8 hrs.)
Aspirin: 5mg per lb. every 12 hrs. (one 300mg tablet per 60-lb. dog every 12 hrs.)
Hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting: 1-3 tsp. every 10 min. until dog vomits.
Pepto-Bismol: 1 tsp. per 5 lb. per 6 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 6 hrs.)
Kaopectate: 1 ml per lb. per 2 hrs. (3-4 tbsp. per 60-lb. dog per 2 hrs.)
Immodium: 1mg per 15 lbs., 1-2 times daily
Mineral oil (as a laxative): 5-30 ml per day; do not use long-term
I also like to write dosages on the lable in permenant marker.

Suggested Reading:
Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, by D.G. Carlson and J.M. Giffin, Howell Book House, 1980, ISBN 0-87605-764-4.

The Merck Veterinary Manual, C.M. Fraser et al. (editors), published by Merck & Co., 7th Edition, 1991, ISBN 911910-55-7.

DISCLAIMER: Before administering any medications or treatments, please first check with your personal veterinarian for guidance. First-aid is meant to be given until you can get your dog to a veterinarian for proper medical treatment. Neither author nor publisher are liable for any damages due to the use or misuse of this information.

Dosages:
Make sure you know what the correct dosage is for each of your dogs. Go over the contents of your first-aid kit with your vet, it can save you some anxious moments.

Note:
You should always consult your own veterinarian about the correct dosage for your size and breed of dog before dispensing any of these medications. Never carry or use any medications where you are not familiar with the usage and the side effects. Be aware that not all dogs will react in the same manner to a medication. If you are carrying any prescription medications in your first-aid kit, never give these to someone else's dogs.

Paperwork:
You don't want to have to carry a great deal of paperwork around with you, but it is always a good idea to have a photocopy of your dog's vaccination records and a copy of any rabies certificates. I keep these in a clearly marked envelope in the glove compartment of all my vehicles. Emergency contact information is in several places: in this envelope, taped to the inside of the first-aid kit, and on my refrigerator door at home where anyone who needs it can find it.

Emergency Contacts:
My emergency contacts are also listed in these same three places. For the dogs, the contacts are the name and phone number of my veterinarianand a friend that can be contacted and relied upon to rescue my dogs if I am hurt or incapacitated in an accident. Remember, your dogs can end up with a complete stranger who will need this information or worse yet, in a shelter or a kennel if you are on the road and seriously injured. Make sure your friends/family knows what to do with your dogs in an emergency. Be sure to list emergency contacts for yourself as well and perhaps a copy of your health insurance card.

Also, don't forget when traveling with your dogs, be sure they can be easily identifiable to a stranger. A collar with tags giving their call name is the best way to handle this. On the reverse side of the tag, I have listed: "Reward: If found call collect, 999-555-9999. " Be sure to include your area code in case a dog gets loose in another state. I also think having a tatoo put on, and a chip put in is a great idea. If your dog is "adopted" by another, they might not want to give it up. A tatoo or chip is the only true proof you have, that it is your dog.

Where to get supplys.
Medco Medical 800-566-3326
Moor Medical Corp. 800-234-1464
Adventure Med Kits 800-324-3517

Before you even bring your pup out in the field you should get him the shots he needs. I hunt in eastern Colorado too and on my vet's advise I made sure my lab Oakley had his giardia and cryptosporidia vaccinations. I've even gone as far as to get him his rattlesnake shot just to make sure he's protected during those September dove hunts. Another thing I do is to wear a fairly large camel bac. This allows me to have plenty of water for me and the pup without needing to carry cumbersome bottles.

Early season can be warm, if not hot. No matter the temp, I always carry a plastic container for a small bowl and a liter of water in my bag so my dog can drink in the field.
Ditto. I carry a collapsible nylon cordura bowl along with my water bottles.

Kennel
Kennel Cover
Containter for water
Dog Food/Energy Treats
Bowls (water & food)
Dog Vest
First Aid Kit (bandages, tape, vet wrap, EMT Gel, Stapler, Scissors, etc.)
Skunk Odor Removal stuff

These are some of the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure other will help fill in the holes.

What and where can I get skunk oder removal stuff??? Please don't laugh too hard.

What about boots?

I see them advertised, and have always wondered if they are good or not. I know that the dogs only sweat on thier feet, Does this affect anything if they are wearing booties? My lab's feet take a beating in that rough country but she never stops, I just want to give her some relief. Any thoughts and what kinds have you tried.

Back