Enough of the good news...

Slumps are normal. I had a terrible year a couple years ago. I think I hit about 25% for the season. Just keep shooting. I've also found practicing mounting and swinging and dry firing with snap caps a few times every day helps.

Good luck.

I’m very picky on the shots I take. If a bird is anywhere near the edge of what I think I can knock down I don’t shoot. I also don’t shoot through trees or such where most of the pellets aren’t going to make it.

But then my hunting is short duration, out my back door, many times a season, not one trip that I have been planning and saving for. The dynamics I imagine are different.

In other words, I only take high percentage shots.

I have been doing pretty well
this trip…8 days of hunting…biggest thing is shooting the gun that I shoot the best, my BUL. I have many doubles, and when I jump around my shooting declines. I don’t shoot clays…I start in early Sept on Huns and sharpies…main thing is to shoot where the bird is going, not where it is…I will
Jinx myself, but I haven’t missed many this trip, killed many…90%+ on birds shot at…mainly the gun, I think…confidence matters too..,I will slump, others will start hitting🤪
My first flush of the season, there were 7 roosters on this slough.My lab flushed them all at the same. I shot a double, and should have had a triple. They flushed at 10 yards. I gave the farmers wife 2 birds, and cooked one that night.

I’m very picky on the shots I take. If a bird is anywhere near the edge of what I think I can knock down I don’t shoot. I also don’t shoot through trees or such where most of the pellets aren’t going to make it.

But then my hunting is short duration, out my back door, many times a season, not one trip that I have been planning and saving for. The dynamics I imagine are different.

Good point.It takes discipline to hold up.My cousin just bangs away at everything.

now for the bad. I'm zero for seven! Yup, that's right. I've had five pretty easy shots, and wiffed on every one. The other two, I could have gotten shots off but stood there, flat footed. Usually, I wiff on 1-2 of the first 5-6 of the season, but I'm getting pissed.
Dont worry I missed a crap ton of birds too

6 miles, 2 misses…one was difficult
If you are in Montana, you have to put miles in usually. I found a farm where the guy let me drive out to an area that hadn't been hunted, and it had a bunch of roosters. The next day, I had to hoof it, but I found a few roosters, which I dispatched.

Found a great ditch yesterday, killed one, 6 hens with; today I napped there, awoke and saw a rooster…he ducked in to the cover…grabbed gun and one dog, walked into the wind…3 roosters flushed, shot two…not sure if I shot at the third one or not…I know I reloaded, I shot at a flopper while the dog was getting the other…a few others flushed in the ditch 75 yards away…I know this area well, haven’t driven this road much past 3 years due to flooding…fun stuff.

If it was easy to get a limit and I made every shot, I don’t know if I would enjoy hunting as much as I do now…

Just accessed a 30 acre CRP chunk that is hidden between a cornfield and a huge cattail slough with pasture nearby…about 20 birds in there…got two young roosters…reproduction may have been a D+ or C- this year instead of a D-…..my buddy couldn’t shoot at any, not sure why…

Just accessed a 30 acre CRP chunk that is hidden between a cornfield and a huge cattail slough with pasture nearby…about 20 birds in there…got two young roosters…reproduction may have been a D+ or C- this year instead of a D-…..my buddy couldn’t shoot at any, not sure why…
I have a friend like that.There will be a massive flush, and he doesn't get a shot off.Never could figure that out.It happens alot.

If I wanted to lie about something to buoy my ego, it might be about other things! Just wrapped up day 10, leaving after an hour in the field…shot one, only bird I flushed. Me and 1 guy at all times (roster changed) shot 48…I would say I averaged 3 per day, as I got 4 on several days, 2 on a few…missed a few, but not many…flushing pheasants weren’t too big a challenge this hunt (it will change!). My misses were farther shots, not a shock. Shot my BUL mostly. About 20% were young birds, about 33% came off public. Birds are down but there’s plenty! Pressure wasn’t bad at all…we took 14 off one WPA 3 miles from a decent sized town (1,000’s of people live there, several 1’000’s)…not much pressure at all. Walked about 7-8 miles per day, many days we only hunted 3 hours due to heat or rain, one of my pals has physical issues so he’s limited to 2-3 hours. Half the corn is still up, that will
help matters as it comes out. Overall, #’s are down, mainly due to poor chick survival it seems. But plenty of land to hunt, and, enough birds to have a terrific time….☀️👍

Our black lab turned nine today took her out on some public land hunted for about hour and she got on a nice big rooster and I whiffed on it, couldn't have been an easier shot think I was just in shock that I missed the first shot and just hurried the second and third. She chased after it for about ten yards and turned around and just looked at me. I'll take her out again tomorrow and hopefully no more misses.

Mc, Don't go Grouse hunting then. High percentage shots are almost non-existent, lol

Mc, Don't go Grouse hunting then. High percentage shots are almost non-existent, lol
I can confirm this. 98% of my upland hunting is for roosters but once a season in late October I go grouse hunting in Northern Minnesota and the number of grouse I've put in the bag over a decade can be counted with one hand. People that consistently put grouse in the bag impresses me. Those things get up and most of the time, I don't even see them. I just hear them with a whirrrrr of wings. In the rare case that I do see it, I get off a terrible shot in thick timber or brush. Every one of those things is a prize worth 10 times more than a rooster for me.

A well trained pointer would be an invaluable asset in the grouse woods. I have a lab and she works close, but its still very difficult. A pointer that held would allow a hunter to get into a good shooting location for a reasonable shot more often.

Back