Enough of the good news...

Rogue Hunter

now for the bad. I'm zero for seven! Yup, that's right. I've had five pretty easy shots, and wiffed on every one. The other two, I could have gotten shots off but stood there, flat footed. Usually, I wiff on 1-2 of the first 5-6 of the season, but I'm getting pissed.

I've missed plenty of the easy shots myself then turn around and make a really hard one. Can't explain it, was out in South Dakota last week had a rooster flush and almost hit my buddy in the head he missed it and rest of us were laughing to much to get a shot off. Birds have to win sometimes too.

now for the bad. I'm zero for seven! Yup, that's right. I've had five pretty easy shots, and wiffed on every one. The other two, I could have gotten shots off but stood there, flat footed. Usually, I wiff on 1-2 of the first 5-6 of the season, but I'm getting pissed.

Have you been shooting a handgun lately?

Shooting a handgun and a shotgun are two completely different skull sets.

A shotgun requires nearly total focus on the target.

Marksmanship shooting with a handgun requires focus on the front sight.

Hunt one: 0/0
Hunt two: 0/2
Hunt three: 2/2
Hunt four: 1/4
3/8 on the season. I’m right there with you. The 1/4 day was frustrating, all easy, and rarely do you get a chance at 4 public land roosters.
I can relate. Yesterday, I was at the WMA, puting on my boots at 8:30. And, cross the road, on posted land, I watch pheasants getting up, flying from the cattails to a shelter belt of pine trees...ones, then two, then four, sort of like a parade. Must have been 20-25 birds. The WMA area produced two hens and two roosters after an hour...aaaaah! First rooster got up two hundred yards away, second one, of course I wiffed on.

Hunt one: 0/0
Hunt two: 0/2
Hunt three: 2/2
Hunt four: 1/4
3/8 on the season. I’m right there with you. The 1/4 day was frustrating, all easy, and rarely do you get a chance at 4 public land roosters.
That's true!.Public land roosters are very wild and spooky.

So Rogue, in your mind what do you attribute to the poor shooting?

Sloppy gun mount, rushing the shot or maybe gun fit? Or just rusty as in haven't handled the gun since last season?

My percentage is down this year too. Starting to wish I did a little more sporting clay shooting during the summer

I know why I miss haha I often rush my shot. I get too excited when a bird gets up. I've found I shoot worse when my dog is on point and I walk it up compared to one flushing wild and catching me off guard.

I'm an instinctual shooter so I shoot poorly when I go shoot trap. Expecting the bird makes me shoot worse compared to just "oh shit a bird".

Sometimes it has to do with using the wrong choke- load combo.
We'll... I suppose it's possible if your using a cylinder choke and taking shots out past 35 yards. IC, Light Mod or Mod you have enough choke that there is no need to rush the shot. If the bird flushes at the edge of shotgun ranges than maybe best to let that one go for another day.

Far and away people miss more because they rush the shot or don't get the gun (stock) all the way up to their cheek. If the butt pad isn't all the way up seated into the shoulder pocket your going to shoot high that's the gist of it. It happens to us all from time to time. We get startled by a close flushing bird and we panic and rush everything including not getting our feet right. It's easy to fool yourself into thinking you need to get that shot off real quick. NO Pheasant can out fly a load of shot leaving the barrel at 1330 fps. We have plenty of time (more time that you think) on a bird that is within gun range.

I have to fight the tendency to just “point and shoot”. Any type of crossing bird and I will shoot behind them. It’s hard to follow the path, catch up, lead and shoot.

Glad I’m not the only one

So Rogue, in your mind what do you attribute to the poor shooting?

Sloppy gun mount, rushing the shot or maybe gun fit? Or just rusty as in haven't handled the gun since last season?
I guess rusty, and slow to respond even when I get close in on a point. Just stand there, "flat footed"

I guess rusty, and slow to respond even when I get close in on a point. Just stand there, "flat footed"
Don’t sweat it! Get out of your head. Next birds a new opportunity. I had a 4 rooster flush yesterday morning. Missed them all then took 10 more steps and missed a 3 rooster flush. It happens!! Bet you can’t miss the bird by shooting to far in front of it. Give it a try.

I have been doing pretty well
this trip…8 days of hunting…biggest thing is shooting the gun that I shoot the best, my BUL. I have many doubles, and when I jump around my shooting declines. I don’t shoot clays…I start in early Sept on Huns and sharpies…main thing is to shoot where the bird is going, not where it is…I will
Jinx myself, but I haven’t missed many this trip, killed many…90%+ on birds shot at…mainly the gun, I think…confidence matters too..,I will slump, others will start hitting🤪

Back