Enough of the good news...

Gim, I agree. When you get a Grouse it is time for a celebration. To boot they are fabulous eating. I can't tell you how many tops of trees I have cut off shooting at the King..but I love hunting those wise birds...

I can confirm this. 98% of my upland hunting is for roosters but once a season in late October I go grouse hunting in Northern Minnesota and the number of grouse I've put in the bag over a decade can be counted with one hand. People that consistently put grouse in the bag impresses me. Those things get up and most of the time, I don't even see them. I just hear them with a whirrrrr of wings. In the rare case that I do see it, I get off a terrible shot in thick timber or brush. Every one of those things is a prize worth 10 times more than a rooster for me.

A well trained pointer would be an invaluable asset in the grouse woods. I have a lab and she works close, but its still very difficult. A pointer that held would allow a hunter to get into a good shooting location for a reasonable shot more often.
The trick to hunting grouse is that you have to start mounting the gun at the sound of the flush. If you wait until you see the bird, you've already lost.

Back