Electric heat for a truck topper?

springerchaser

Anyone use a electric ceramic heater for the topper to keep the dogs warm in late season? Thinking of purchasing a small Lasko heater to at least keep it above 50 for the springers. They are kept in crates in the back of a topper so they cannot tip it over.

heaters

I would think you would be better off if you kenneled the dogs together and then I believe you are good to about 20 deg. and if that doesn't do it put a cover over the kennel. most of the time in Kansas hunting, late season we have 15-30 deg. weather, my dogs are in the back on their heavy dog beds, they will help each other keep warm. so far no problems for me

cheers

How cold does it get in CA when you are hunting? When I have to, I leave my Brittanys in the back of my SUV in their kennels. I do have insulated covers for the kennels and if it's really cold (down around zero or below) I'll throw a blanket over the kennels for some added warmth. They do just fine. You'd be surprised with an insulated jacket over the kennels just how much body heat a dog can produce. It may be around zero outside in the morning but when I stick my hand into their kennels it is nice and toasty warm.

It depends on which part of the state, it never gets much below freezing in the valley but alot of places I hunt instate that isn't even considered cold but I believe SC spends time in the Dakotas each year.

Yes. Thinking SD for the late season. When it gets down to 15 degrees and the dogs are use to a low of 50. Thinking of just getting a 1500 watt unit and keeping it on low so it's pulling 750 watts or 8 amps. Just would like to keep it at 40 or more.

david0311

Anyone use a electric ceramic heater for the topper to keep the dogs warm in late season? Thinking of purchasing a small Lasko heater to at least keep it above 50 for the springers. They are kept in crates in the back of a topper so they cannot tip it over.

Mine--Labs are either in the room or camper with me in all weather conditions--

I would not trust heater with my dogs (even though i used them in Minnesota for many years to keep inside of aircraft warm with no problems)

I just won't leave mine unattended overnight--JMO

Yes. Thinking SD for the late season. When it gets down to 15 degrees and the dogs are use to a low of 50. Thinking of just getting a 1500 watt unit and keeping it on low so it's pulling 750 watts or 8 amps. Just would like to keep it at 40 or more.

Are you staying at a motel? If so, find one that if pet friendly. Good luck.

I did some trials on this last year. I never came up with an electric solution that worked. I ended up using a quality propane heater with an oxygen sensor and a cracked window on the topper.

The insulated kennel covers work quite well. I would think they would be adequate in a closed topper at least down to zero if not below. You could put a remote thermometer in one if you wanted to monitor it.

Most small motels in hunting country are also dog friendly.

Jerry

Whether I use my trailer or use crates with covers, I always take a wireless thermometer on my trips. It is very interesting just how warm those crates stay. I put the transmitter outside the crate but inside the cover near one of the crate vent slots. Two years ago, I did put my small, 10 month old pup in with my big 12 year old on a night that was supposed to get into single digits and watched the reading closely. It barely dropped into the forties (49) inside the cover. The last night of the trip, we paid the dog fee and brought them into the room since they had worked so hard. Those wireless thermometers don't cost much and they can add some peace of mind.

Whatever you do, make sure the pups are warm.
For me and my pups, their in the camper, in the sleeping bag with me, or at least under a blanket.
After all they are wet, tired, and have worked a HECK of a lot more then you have.
Don't let them shiver in a cold area. OK, thanks. :cheers:

How cold does it get in CA when you are hunting? When I have to, I leave my Brittanys in the back of my SUV in their kennels. I do have insulated covers for the kennels and if it's really cold (down around zero or below) I'll throw a blanket over the kennels for some added warmth. They do just fine. You'd be surprised with an insulated jacket over the kennels just how much body heat a dog can produce. It may be around zero outside in the morning but when I stick my hand into their kennels it is nice and toasty warm.

I agree with Dakota. I put insulated kennel covers on my kennels, zip them up tight and they are toasty warm. The key is not having too big of a kennel for the dog. If you can fit two dogs in one kennel then the kennel is to big and they will get cold.

keeping warm

I was afraid I had the only idiot dog that gets in my sleeping bag. one problem if you don't give in, they lay there and shiver and you don't get any sleep that way either. my last cot and sleeping bags were oversize to make things easier for me. same thing happened at home, I got a queen size bed so I would have more room, the only thing that happened is that now the dogs can really stretch out, I didn't gain anything

cheers

I tried one. It got too hot. I also had a dead battery the next morning. I found an old big quilt draped over the crates works just right. You open it up and it is toasty in there. As long as the bedding is dry your good.

One place I hunt a couple times a year I have to bring a blow up bed and sleeping bag. I had a twin size bed but it got too crowded with me and the two dogs on it so I had to buy a queen size. :) We do spoil those dogs, don't we. When ever I travel and stay in a motel I make sure the place allows dogs in the room even if I have to pay an extra fee. but there are times when they have to stay in their kennels in the back of my Expedition so I try to make it a comfortable as possible for them.

Goldenboy makes a good point about kennel size. Normally, I would not have the ability to house two dogs in one crate. I have been running some good sized Ryman-Hemlock setters and have large crates. In this case, a local breeder of field trial stock was getting out if the game mad asked me to find a home for the last two pups he had. I could not give both of them away and had trouble giving even one away. This stock is so small my vet jokingly asked if I was raising cats. That is a long story but I wanted all to know that little setter stayed warm and is being treated like a queen. As I type, she is laying on the ottoman at the end of my chair. There are some benefits to being small- that 85 pound Ryman won't fit on the ottoman!

My son and I traveled to SD last week. Real cold weather. We kept the dogs in their kennels with insulated covers and a few blankets. Did this while traveling and anytime we were not in a Hotel. They stayed nice and warm. However, we did bring them in each night to sleep just to play it safe. what the heck.. they deserved it.

I bring the dogs in the room, if I cant...I find a place that does allow it. When I travel and they have to be in the kennels, I just use a thick bed comforter and wrap the kennels with that. Just make sure you have some air flow into the kennel.
Kennel your dogs together in a bigger kennel if needed.

They hunt super hard all day, they need good rest and they don't use energy to stay warm if they are in the room. That's why I find dog friendly places to stay.

Back