Dog price questions

Ericb

I’ve been thinking of (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever. Prices for pups seem to be running $1,500-$2,000. I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money. If I’m just being cheap, tell me, I sometimes see things through the eyes of a much younger man. Next, are other breeds less expensive to obtain? I’d be happy with a Springer or a German Wirehair or something else if the price of entry is substantially lower. I’m thinking $1,000 or less. I may even consider joining a rescue group to get a more mature buddy.
Thinking out loud a bit I guess but would like to hear from others. Just don’t rail on me for my sticker shock.

Eric

I got a well bred GSP for $750 and I'm very happy with him. I can pm you the name of the breeder if you'd like.

I don't know about prices on Goldens but others on this site should be able to give you some good info. However, from my experience, I would think that $1,000 would get you a very well bred pup in any number of breeds.

I know from looking and watching there are very good pups to 12 month old dogs available in the price range you are wanting to spend. This would be springer and cocker spaniels. May have to do some watching and waiting but they are out there.

You should have no issue get a solid prospect in the $1K range. Also, you might check kennels for an older started dog, sometimes you can get a deal on one the kennel hasn't been able to move. Search Started (whatever breed or type you're looking for) on line. If you decide on a pup, research the pedigrees and stay away from backyard breeders.

If youre looking for a Golden pup that you can hunt with, then you want a Golden for more much more than just hunting..... but you already know that.
Im on my 4th Golden and also have a Springer.
I’ll rarely comment on price about anything.. everyones different. Save your quarters and check the couch cushions.

If I was Looking for a golden—dont think I would look any farther than Golden Boy—frequent poster on this board

If I was Looking for a golden—dont think I would look any farther than Golden Boy—frequent poster on this board

I have investigated several breeders and I did look up Golden Boy’s website. Finding good hunting stock isn’t a problem. I’d like to find a good dog in my budget though.

The cost of the puppy is is only a minor part of the cost of the dog. If I could count how many times I've heard this is the most expensive free dog I can imagine. Get the dog you want, be it a golden or a pointer or a springer. The vet , training , etc costs are what's expensive. Ignore the cost of the pup and get what turns you on, be it a golden or GSP, or springer that suits your lifestyle and hunting temperament.

I’ve been thinking of (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever. Prices for pups seem to be running $1,500-$2,000. I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money. If I’m just being cheap, tell me, I sometimes see things through the eyes of a much younger man. Next, are other breeds less expensive to obtain? I’d be happy with a Springer or a German Wirehair or something else if the price of entry is substantially lower. I’m thinking $1,000 or less. I may even consider joining a rescue group to get a more mature buddy.
Thinking out loud a bit I guess but would like to hear from others. Just don’t rail on me for my sticker shock.

Eric
10 years ago, my Golden listed for $1200. Same breeder, now lists their dogs for $2300. Several others that I follow are in the same price range. One breeder here in MN lists their dogs for over $3000. Supply and demand; people are willing to pay for quality dogs.

UBa
The cost of the puppy is is only a minor part of the cost of the dog. If I could count how many times I've heard this is the most expensive free dog I can imagine. Get the dog you want, be it a golden or a pointer or a springer. The vet , training , etc costs are what's expensive. Ignore the cost of the pup and get what turns you on, be it a golden or GSP, or springer that suits your lifestyle and hunting temperament.

👍 X-10 Agree 100%—Lets look at it this way—Even a extra $1000 dollars for a quality pup you can enjoy and be proud of—over a ten year (hopefully even longer) will cost you a little over .27 cents a day!

I have investigated several breeders and I did look up Golden Boy’s website. Finding good hunting stock isn’t a problem. I’d like to find a good dog in my budget though.
Thanks for checking out the website! Here is what I will tell you on prices of dogs. If you have to get on a waiting list, there is a reason. If you find a dog the breeder couldn't get rid of, there is a reason. I had sticker shock when I purchased my second golden. The difference is why I now breed solid dogs. I found the backyard pup in my first golden and it was a good dog. But when I went to a breeder who bred for what I wanted, the difference was night and day! I have so many repeat clients because they see the quality of dog. It is hard to tell when they are puppies because they are all cute, but once they mature the breeding stands out. I hope you find a great dog. Don't give up on a Golden! By the way PM me and I will send you my phone number or call me off the website. I will talk to you more in person about what I know. And by the way, no pressure to buy a dog from me. I just love the breed and the sport and want to help people out.

I’ve been talking to a Breeder of Goldens for a while and decided to stick with the breed. The breeder has quality bloodlines and has a litter coming approximately the 27th of this month. The price (to me at least), is cringeworthy but there are health, bone and genetic checks to help avoid problems. I put my name in for a girl, which I should have by Christmas.
I’ll have a hunting buddy next year!

Glad you found a litter. I was going to throw out Gun Dog Central, as I was sure there'd be a dozen litters of Goldens on there, boy was I wrong.

When you break down the price per day over the lifetime of the dog, it is not much. At the same time it is still a risk though, most dogs should be covered for hips, eyes, etc., but what if an accident happens, dog runs away, hit by car, etc. before you have made the most of your investment?

I have a friend who I would call an in between backyard breeder and professional breeder - does not do very many breedings and has them all with very quality bloodlines and pedigrees. Certainly knows exactly what he's doing and looking for to build his next pup, but is not in it for the money. He has stated several times that even though he's not in it for the money, he has a more difficult time selling the dog for $200 than for $1,500, just because people see the low price and assume it's bad dog compared to a more expensive one. If you can spend some time with the dam and sire, read the pedigrees, you can sometimes find a quality dog at a good price point.

I’m not made of money by any means, but I think a price tag can be put on a companion and hunting partner. Most dogs will run through the thickest brush to get you that bird, tearing there nose/face up in the process and come night time, cuddle up next to you almost like they’re thanking you for the opportunity. My dogs have brought me much joy over the years, lots of it happening in the field but even more happening in our off time at home as my family members. If your end goal is to have a dog just for the hunting season and leave him in the back yard the rest of the year, then maybe renting a guide with dog would be your best bet. If it’s a best friend and a family member you’re looking for that will never say no to a day in the field, then I think a price tag can’t be put on that.

I’m not made of money by any means, but I think a price tag can be put on a companion and hunting partner. Most dogs will run through the thickest brush to get you that bird, tearing there nose/face up in the process and come night time, cuddle up next to you almost like they’re thanking you for the opportunity. My dogs have brought me much joy over the years, lots of it happening in the field but even more happening in our off time at home as my family members. If your end goal is to have a dog just for the hunting season and leave him in the back yard the rest of the year, then maybe renting a guide with dog would be your best bet. If it’s a best friend and a family member you’re looking for that will never say no to a day in the field, then I think a price tag can’t be put on that.
Sure you can...in the pointer/brittany world it's $800-1000. If you do your part, cuddling, joy, and all that other stuff is included.

$1000 would be the top I would ever consider. I've seen duck hunters shell out much much more for a lab. I've had free rescues hunt better that big dollar dogs. Do what's in your heart or your wallet? Great hunters and companions out there for less. Just my $.02...or $20.00; doesn't really make a difference now does it?

I breed Labrador Retrievers and I will tell you this much. The upfront cost of the dog/pup is typically a reflection of the quality and thought that went into the line and breeding. The cost incurred by the breeder to get the sire and dam to that level is expensive, health clearances, testing, DNA profiles all so you as a customer are assured of a healthy high performance gun dog. Good luck with your search.

Back