Dog price questions

The top dogs in any breed are going to be on the high end $1,500 -$2,000. It doesn’t guarantee the pup will be a super star, but it does increase the odds! Sure there are a lot of good dogs that come from lesser lines, but I have seen to many people get attached to sub par dogs. So I guess if you want to spend a little more for a better chance of getting a quality hunting partner, I think it makes sense but do your homework.

It's worth it to spend the money. I bought my first Brittany for $500 from a local breeder. I love the dog like my kids but he has health issues that partly come from irresponsible breeding. For our next one we really put the time in and found a breeder that we love and respect. We paid $1,500 and it was worth every penny. You can really tell the difference when you get a dog from someone who puts time and thought into their breeding practices. It's not as much about the quality of the dog as it is their health. In the end they are a part of our family and hunting is the cherry on top. The money we've spent on the first one has been 10 times over the price difference. Finding a breeder you know and trust is priceless and worth every penny.

You state that you currently have a golden and that's what you are looking for. If you are not well educated on health problems associated with the breed I highly recommend that you do your homework and don't go into a situation of not asking for all health clearances on both the sire and dam. A golden from a strong field breeding is going to be expensive based upon your budget. I have owned golden retrievers out of Topbrass Kennels owned by Jackie Mertens and never regretted what they cost. They are not cheap, but you will have a healthy trainable pup with more natural ability than you could ever ask for.

Health is a biggie ! I got our last dog from a vet that breeds GWP. I figured he should know what he is doing in that area.

You state that you currently have a golden and that's what you are looking for. If you are not well educated on health problems associated with the breed I highly recommend that you do your homework and don't go into a situation of not asking for all health clearances on both the sire and dam. A golden from a strong field breeding is going to be expensive based upon your budget. I have owned golden retrievers out of Topbrass Kennels owned by Jackie Mertens and never regretted what they cost. They are not cheap, but you will have a healthy trainable pup with more natural ability than you could ever ask for.
I agree with your message about dog costs et al. My current Golden has Top Brass in his background and has been an amazing retriever.

friend of mine got a pup from goldenboy about 18 months ago...stellar dog!!! I actually referred him to goldenboy, as I was aware of him from this sight and my buddy couldn't find a litter...worked out great! I learned then that goldens are a bit pricier than labs...I paid $1500 for my last yellow female, about 18 months ago...

I have a few buddies that won't pay a whole lot for dogs...let me tell you, you get what you pay for. nothing is guaranteed, and a $500 dog could turn out OK, but unless you are willing to dispose of the dog if it doesn't work out, you may be stuck with fido for 15 years...

friend of mine got a pup from goldenboy about 18 months ago...stellar dog!!! I actually referred him to goldenboy, as I was aware of him from this sight and my buddy couldn't find a litter...worked out great! I learned then that goldens are a bit pricier than labs...I paid $1500 for my last yellow female, about 18 months ago...
I've been tracking five Golden Ret. breeders for the past year or so; all the dogs are over $2000. A few weeks ago, a breeder in MN sold a G Ret. puppy for over $3K. Wonder if the stud fees are driving up the cost? Or simple supply and demand?

I've been tracking five Golden Ret. breeders for the past year or so; all the dogs are over $2000. A few weeks ago, a breeder in MN sold a G Ret. puppy for over $3K. Wonder if the stud fees are driving up the cost? Or simple supply and demand?
probably both factors...and it seems there are some goldens that are more show dogs, so your hunting goldens may be fewer than labs, for example, or GSP's, etc...

probably both factors...and it seems there are some goldens that are more show dogs, so your hunting goldens may be fewer than labs, for example, or GSP's, etc...
There appears to be three distinct Goldens - long hair show dogs, hunting variety and a third that I'm not familiar. Breeders of the hunting variety have been careful in their breed matching, as well as selling their dogs to those that would hunt them. Would love to have a puppy from my current dog...

I’ve been thinking of (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever. Prices for pups seem to be running $1,500-$2,000. I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money. If I’m just being cheap, tell me, I sometimes see things through the eyes of a much younger man. Next, are other breeds less expensive to obtain? I’d be happy with a Springer or a German Wirehair or something else if the price of entry is substantially lower. I’m thinking $1,000 or less. I may even consider joining a rescue group to get a more mature buddy.
Thinking out loud a bit I guess but would like to hear from others. Just don’t rail on me for my sticker shock.

Eric
I recently paid $3400 for my golden. High end field breed. Breeder has the credentials and nothing but great feedback. So far so good. She's done pigeons so far. Game farm hen training on sat. Still a little young to know but seems to have the goods. Already a great dog in the house. Mostly because we've both been working from home her entire 9 month life. Too bad im not a duck hunter because shes a tornado on water retrieves and i cant keep her out of the water. Excelent prey drive. 2nd week of her first heat right now. 😑

Last edited:
I am currently preparing a Golden for breeding. The required testing to ensure a quality dog for someone to purchase, atleast if you care about such things is extensive. Extensive is not cheap.
Than the training to show its trainability comes at price. Trainers and hunt tests both AKC or UKC testing is both time and money investments.
So now you are ready to look for a quality stud. Again if you want quality that comes at a price. Good dogs just dont happen by chance.
The current price of Goldens has some sticker shock, but guys like GoldenBoy are doing right by our breed.
I train with a bunch of lab guys, and they are impressed with these Goldens and the truth is they spend a lot of money on their pups as well.

I recently paid $3400 for my golden. High end field breed. Breeder has the credentials and nothing but great feedback. So far so good. She's done pigeons so far. Game farm hen training on sat. Still a little young to know but seems to have the goods. Already a great dog in the house. Mostly because we've both been working from home her entire 9 month life. Too bad im not a duck hunter because shes a tornado on water retrieves and i cant keep her out of the water. Excelent prey drive. 2nd week of her first heat right now. 😑
Would love to see the pedigree for this dog - would you share that with us?

I know before I post that this will be controversial, but are you kidding me? $3400.
I believe " high end field breed" says it all. If I paid that much (wouldn't) I'd lie and say I paid $2000.
To ponder all the permutational influences that go into getting a dog for birds price is not the first concern, but it's also not the last.
I will concede to each their own.
But for my hard earned $450, One eyed Jack, my Llewellyn/English Setter will flat out hunt.
Oh, he does all those other dog things too.

I know. It sucks. Im getting older quick and I dont have any time to waste on a bad dog so I spent more to lessen the risk.
Its entirely likely this is my last gun dog. My Pudelpointer was around $1300 9 years ago and she been a so so dog but with great hunting instincts.
My last Golden lived 15 years and did everything well. Lost her two years ago. We really wanted another Golden but I needed one that was also a serious hunter and they are hard to come by. Especially within driving distance. Here's a pick from Aug at 7 months. She's solid, athletic and smart.
Not a 10 out of 10 but at least a solid 8 in the brains dept. And not hyper. Right now is not her proudest moment as she's laying on my foot in a diaper........

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_094656424.jpg
    IMG_20200813_094656424.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’ve been thinking of (finally) replacing my Golden Retriever. Prices for pups seem to be running $1,500-$2,000. I have a hard time shelling out that kind of money. If I’m just being cheap, tell me, I sometimes see things through the eyes of a much younger man. Next, are other breeds less expensive to obtain? I’d be happy with a Springer or a German Wirehair or something else if the price of entry is substantially lower. I’m thinking $1,000 or less. I may even consider joining a rescue group to get a more mature buddy.
Thinking out loud a bit I guess but would like to hear from others. Just don’t rail on me for my sticker shock.

Eric
Consider a rescue. I have had two rescue Brittanys and they have been excellent. Both were under a year old and had never been hunted. They took to hunting like they were born to it - as they were! I paid $250.00 for each dog and got a 100% bird hunter and great pet.

Consider a rescue. I have had two rescue Brittanys and they have been excellent. Both were under a year old and had never been hunted. They took to hunting like they were born to it - as they were! I paid $250.00 for each dog and got a 100% bird hunter and great pet.

I was considering a rescue but I’ve listened to the people here that encouraged buying from a breeder that tests for bone and genetic problems before breeding and use studs and dams that have field accomplishments. I reserved a puppy from a litter due 10/27.

Now I need to keep my word to my wife and sell some guns to make up for this investment.

Back