Dog Food

Solid Gold going to Native

The only thing my dog has eaten is Solid Gold, he is 20 months old. Great dog food, gives him lots of energy and a great coat. I decided to switch to Native because it is cheaper, they support our sport, and I like the different energy levels.

Interesting to read the comments about pickiness when dogs go to Native. My dog will eat anything but I will keep an eye on it.

As stated previously I'm a Pro Plan guy. While picking up some PP at the local Tractor Supply I see they now carry "Taste of the Wild" pet food. anyone ever try this? It's kind of pricey.

Pro Plan Chicken and Rice here. I fed them the Performance during hunting season. It was probably overkill since I rotate my two dogs, but hey, it's only money...:D

At my most recent (post season) purchase, I see they have added 'shreds' to the bag. Maybe in other areas this has been around for a while, but was new at my local Orschelins. My wife's stinkin' house dog goes around and picks out everybody's shreds, apparently she likes 'em better than the triangles. :confused: She's already too fat to jump on the couch, so I don't really need her to put on any additional weight.:D

I see they now carry "Taste of the Wild" pet food. anyone ever try this? It's kind of pricey.

I have used a few bags in the past. I think it's a good food especially if you want or need a grainless diet. Doesn't carry a lot of calories (Kcals/cup) but the dogs did fine on it. Yeah it's a little pricey for 30 pounds, especially when you compare it to other feeds in 40 pound bags. All grain free diets are pricey though and Taste of the wild is certainly one of the least expensive in that category.

Good food if you want to just give a bag or two a try.

Diamond was really good but when the tainted food issues came out a few years ago it scared the crap out of me and I switched right away. I am sure that they are still producing a great product, but the whole issue of dying dogs sticks in my memory-kinda like the time your mom made you eat liver or sauerkraut or whatever other food to this day you still hate!

Rest assured Diamond probably has more safety checks implemented in there manufacturing plants currently than any other pet food manufacturer out there to insure that kind of thing never happens again. Trust me... they don't need anymore bad press on this.

I just got a flier in the mail from "My-Champs" dog food here in Alma, Ks. It is supposed to be high in probiotics and beneficial to even dogs with allergies and digestive problems. I called one of the references and he has been feeding it for 8 years and loves it. He had a dog that's coat was poor in the summer and within 2 weeks it had grown back in a good coat. Has anyone here heard of the food or fed it?

Nutro

I have been feeding Nutro Max for about 4 years. They do not put any chicken heads, legs or intestines and do not have any corn in the food. The dogs seem to love the taste of it and in my previous job I worked with a lady who did QA in a plant that they manufactured pet foods and she said Nutro had some of the strictest standars.
Bucky

I am another satisfied customer of the Native brand. I also use Native 2 in the off season and 3 during hunting season.

The only place I can get ProPlan is at Tractor Supply and they seem to be stocking less ProPlan and more other brands. Half the time I go in for a bag they are out of stock. It's made me think about changing foods. I was in Running's Farm & Fleet today looking at what they had and Nutri Source kind of caught my eye. I checked out their web site and did a little reading. Are there any Nutri Source users out there?

http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/

I've used the Nutrisource Super Performance in the past. Dogs did fine, but it costs a bit more than some of the others. Good feed if you want to try a bag. For hunting season the Super Performance is their best formula.

Last edited:
What level for puppy with Native?

I am picking up a Springer Spaniel puppy in a couple of weeks and was wondering what level you are all feeding your hunting dog pups? Thanks

anyone ever heard of "blue buffalo"? just curious, i just bought a bag and am going to mix it with performance this seasaon. the ingredients look pretty good. makes me hungry. www.bluebuff.com

yeah it was, but you only feed 1/2 as much with other dog food. so it kinda even itself out. and the ingreds. look awesome in it.

the ingredients look pretty good. makes me hungry. www.bluebuff.com

Give it a try and tell us what it tastes like....:D

Did you get the Wilderness formula?

I fed Blue Buffalo (regular adult) to my older dog a couple years ago and while he seemed to do fine with it, i just couldn't justify the added cost and switched to Canidae. At the time Canidae was about 5-$10 cheaper per bag and the results were just as good.

Let us know how it works.

Brit Food

Purina One chicken and rice formula (and a few table scraps). You can get it at any grocery store or WalMart in the U.S.

I figure that if I can buy a quality dog food and the price is no more than $1 per lb. that it's a pretty good buy.

I'm feeding NutriSource and been very happy with it. Just picked up a 40# bag of Performance for $39.99.

Back