Dog breeds

Does anyone think taking in a 8 month old puppy a good idea?

Again, it would highly depend on the pup. Was this pup properly socialized, what or how much training thus far and of course the breeding. What are the parents like. I would at the very least want to see this pup on some birds to see what it's natural instincts are.

Does anyone think taking in a 8 month old puppy a good idea?

I agree that it depends on the pup. I've only done this once and it was a disaster. The dog had not been properly socialized, lived in a kennel with other litter mates where it pottied where ever it wanted. I tried to chang the dog but was unable. Ended up giving it away. Personally I'd rather get a pup or a 1 1/2 - 2 year old started dog. In all likelyhood my next dog will be a started dog. Then you know exactly what you are getting. If you do get the 8 month old be sure to do your homework first.

I would pick the breed by what fits my style of hunting and my lifesyle best. I would then feed a quality food and groom as appropriate. All dogs shed period.

Of the breeds you mentioned it is hard to beat a GSP, Weims are beutifull but a good field bred pup maybe a bit hard to find. I would not recommend a Viszla for anyone with small children. This is only my opinion but I have seen a disportionate number of unstable Viszlas in the OB classes I teach.

An interesting breed is a Portuguese pointer. They are UKC recognized but not AKC (yet). Small solidly built dog with a short coat. Not a lot of go in the couple I have seen......but they both were clean calm and quiet.

Steve

Hello I am new to this forum and I am hoping you all will be able to help me out a little. I unfortuanetly lost my lab and now am looking to replace her. I loved my lab and she was a great dog. She was everything I am looking for in a dog but the wife hated all of the hair. I have been doing some research have narrowed it down to a couple of breeds that will shed less and seem to be good family pets too. I am hoping you guys and help me out and narrow it down a little more. Some of the traits I am looking for in a new dog is good hunter, good with children, and a good all around family pet. Here are the 3 breeds I am looking at German short hair pointer, Hungarian Vizsla, Weimaraner. Are any of these 3 dogs better than the other? How do they compare to a lab? My lab was a great hunter but knew when to settle down when we were home. How do these other breeds compare? I have been doing alot of research on the interenet and there are alot of differenet opions out there on the different breeds. I am hoping some of you own these breeds and can help me out. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!!

Where are you located?

Krystal creek..yeah it kind of happened fast... The breeder came from several recommendations and they happened to have a litter with 1 pup left.

Great looking pup!

Congrats! Vegas comes from a kennel just down the road from me. It looks like it should be a nice pup.

I would not take an 8 month Lab.... Then again I would not take a lab of any age:eek:

Yea i understand completely. Labs are too much dog for most people. Let me see great nose, awesome retrieve land and water. Fearless busting tails all day while others watch from the outside. Why would anybody want that?:rolleyes::confused::D:)

I owned a lab for 11 years..Nothing neater than seeing a lab working a field. Best dog I ever owned... so far...

I looked at the pedigree. Got quite a bit of DK blood (Pottsiepen) in there for sure. Saw Sharpshooters as well. Looks like Krystal's breeds heavily for NAVHDA.

Dog should have plenty of drive, make sure you get a good handle on obedience. Should be a bird finding, retrieving machine whether land or water. :thumbsup:

Back