Dog breeds

Jordan54

Hello I am new to this forum and I am hoping you all will be able to help me out a little. I unfortuanetly lost my lab and now am looking to replace her. I loved my lab and she was a great dog. She was everything I am looking for in a dog but the wife hated all of the hair. I have been doing some research have narrowed it down to a couple of breeds that will shed less and seem to be good family pets too. I am hoping you guys and help me out and narrow it down a little more. Some of the traits I am looking for in a new dog is good hunter, good with children, and a good all around family pet. Here are the 3 breeds I am looking at German short hair pointer, Hungarian Vizsla, Weimaraner. Are any of these 3 dogs better than the other? How do they compare to a lab? My lab was a great hunter but knew when to settle down when we were home. How do these other breeds compare? I have been doing alot of research on the interenet and there are alot of differenet opions out there on the different breeds. I am hoping some of you own these breeds and can help me out. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!!

Those three breeds are pointers and won't be suitable for cold water retrieves in case you waterfowl hunt. If size is a factor, I think overall small to large it's vizsla, GSP, and weim. They all can make good house dogs. I've seen some 80 - 90 pound weims but some sized more like GSPs. Some GSPs can be pretty big too. I personally would not want an 80 - 90 pound upland dog. I prefer a dog about 45 pounds so I would be looking more at vizsla and GSPs. A problem with Vizslas is their very sparse undercarrriage hair which may necessitate a chest protector. My choice would be GSP with a tight coat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response..There would be no waterfowl hunting.. So I think I am good there..My worries about the GSP is that they will be to hyper in the house. I have 3 kids and would want the dog tobe somewhat mellow when it is time to settle down for the night. How different from labs are they on an energetic level?

Thanks for the response..There would be no waterfowl hunting.. So I think I am good there..My worries about the GSP is that they will be to hyper in the house. I have 3 kids and would want the dog tobe somewhat mellow when it is time to settle down for the night. How different from labs are they on an energetic level?

I think it depends on the individual dog. You might consider a rescue; then you would be able to see the dog's personality.

Hello I am new to this forum and I am hoping you all will be able to help me out a little. I unfortuanetly lost my lab and now am looking to replace her. I loved my lab and she was a great dog. She was everything I am looking for in a dog but the wife hated all of the hair. I have been doing some research have narrowed it down to a couple of breeds that will shed less and seem to be good family pets too. I am hoping you guys and help me out and narrow it down a little more. Some of the traits I am looking for in a new dog is good hunter, good with children, and a good all around family pet. Here are the 3 breeds I am looking at German short hair pointer, Hungarian Vizsla, Weimaraner. Are any of these 3 dogs better than the other? How do they compare to a lab? My lab was a great hunter but knew when to settle down when we were home. How do these other breeds compare? I have been doing alot of research on the interenet and there are alot of differenet opions out there on the different breeds. I am hoping some of you own these breeds and can help me out. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!!

Calmly tell your wife to get over it(the hair) because you can't replace the best breed of dog there is, which is the Lab. Great hunters and most importantly great with family. Lol.......

When I started reading your original post my immediate thought was one of the wirehaired breeds. While the three breeds you mentioned all have short coats it doesn't mean they shed any less than a Lab, just smaller hairs. The wirehaired breeds will shed less but probably require a little more maintenance such as having to be stripped periodically.

In your case for both a hunting and house dog that doesn't shed alot I would highly consider a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (WPG). Here's a link to a current thread on this site where the guy is looking for a WPG pup.
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12114

I've never had a WPG but nearly bought one in my last search for a dog. They are generally a little closer hunting dog and great family dogs. When I was considering them most of the breeders I talked to would not sell a pup to someone unless the dog was going to be in the house. I'm not sure where you are located but here is a good breeder of Wirehaired Pointing Griffons.
http://www.aspenglokennel.com/

As someone else mentioned the Pudelpointer might also be a good wirehaired breed to consider. Watch careful for the coat on any wirehaired breed. Some can be quite fuzzy and some quite slick. A shorter tight coat I think would be desired in your case.

Fact: no such thing

You mean no such thing as a no shed dog? This is true. However, poodles shed so very little that you probably would have a tough time finding a hair. Bichons are the same way. As are poodle/lab mixes are also the same way. Many breeds of dogs shed very very little. Your welcome to stop by my house and look for Bichon hairs. I will give you a dollar for each one you find.

There is such a thing as a low shed,hyperallergenic dog. But you are correct they all shed some. However some so very little it is unnoticed.

Last edited:
I just went through the same process looking for a new dog. I have had Weimaraners and they are great dogs. They are a real family dog and can be super protective of the family which can be good or bad. They are typically bigger then the other breeds you mentioned and I never notice hair anywhere. Not saying they dont shed it just doesn't show. They make nice hunting dogs that don't typically range out as far as GSP's. My experience has been they are very easy to live with and make great family pets. A little harder to find a good hunting breeder. PM me if you want a recomendation.

Personally I ended up with a Pointer which I didnt see on your list but you may want to consider it. I can say that so far he has been the easiest dog I have ever trained. With a weim you have to worry about hurting their feelings if you yell to much. Not so much with the pointer. Matter of fact his nick name is "Honey Badger" because he just doesn't give a sH--!!

A pointer (a breed onto istself) is a good choice too for a short haired, medium sized dog.

I never thought of a pointer.. What kind of pointer did you get? Thanks again..all these replies are helping alot

I never thought of a pointer.. What kind of pointer did you get? Thanks again..all these replies are helping alot

"Pointer" is an official breed per The American Kennel Club. Go to the AKC website to see and read about the breed. I have also heard the term "English pointer," not an AKC recognized breed, but the same breed as far as I know, as "pointer." It is a bit confusing because GSPs, weims, setters, brittanys, and many others are pointers in that they freeze on point when they encounter a bird afield.

PP

You would be crazy not to look into Pudelpointers. My Dad breed Labs all my life and I love them. I got PP two years ago and I will never own another breed
PP have been breed for hunting and only hunting for the last 150 years. The problem with a lot of gun dogs these days are that show-dog breeders have got a hold of them and destroyed the many breeds.
When u look for a dog, u look for three main things Prey drive,temperament and Health. My PP has one of the craziest prey drives I have ever seen,yet when he gets in the house all he dose is sleep. Not to mention he dosent shed. Best temperament towards humans and dogs that I have ever seen. PP are healthy dogs. PP have been breed prolly better than any other breed and just for hunting.

I would look into them if I were you, check this site out. give Bob a call

www.cedarwoodgundogs.com

Cobblestone has a few English pointers left from a huge litter........I don't know what there temperment is, but I'm sure they would make an excellent field dog. You might check with him, I'm sure he will shoot you a straight answer.

First, the hair issue is not going to go away by going to any of the breeds you mentioned. The trick is to just pick a dog that matches the color of your carpet and or furniture...:D

Seriously, all of those breeds you mentioned will and could fit the bill for you.

Have you ever hunted behind any pointers and especially the ones you mentioned? If there is any way you could arrange this it would allow you to see how each conducts their business. You must also realize that even within the same breed you will have quite a bit of variety as far as range, speed and most important cooperation or trainable.

The key will be finding a breeder that produces the kind of dog your looking for regardless of which one you select. Selecting which breed will be easier than selecting the right breeder. You simply can't ask enough questions when researching a breeder. He needs to know exactly what you're looking for and your experience level when it comes to training.

Now for the breeds,

As far as how they are in the house... much of that is about how they are trained and what you let them get away with. You set the tone on what kind of behavior is accepted or not. It also has a lot to do with with the breeding. If the parents were dogs that bounced off the walls then there's a good chance that is what you might get.

I can speak a little on GSP's as I have and have had several over the years. All have been very good living in the house. They require frequent exercise though as do many sporting breeds, so that can't be pinned to just one breed alone.

Out of the 3 you have selected there are probably more (number of quality GSP breeders) than the other two, mainly due to the popularity of the breed alone. Finding a quality breeder is going to be easier and more than likely one closer to home. Doesn't mean there aren't quality breeders for the other two (not at all), just that they may be fewer and farther between as they are not as popular a breed and you may have to travel farther to find one.

But that shouldn't deter you if your set on one of the other two.

Good luck, the research is half the fun and soon you will come to recognize the different lines within each breed.

Here are couple of lounge lizards sunning themselves..

pals.jpg

Last edited:
Jordan I went through the process you are now in a couple years ago almost to the day.

My first dog was a Weim. Loved her. She learned to hunt but was not a go getter. They are decent in the house but big and they need work or they can get bored and destructive. Mine ate a couch. Literally d-upholstered a 10 foot long expensive couch during a dinner and chewed some of the frame and pillows.

My next dog was/is a Vizsla. He's very large for the breed at around 68lbs but still smaller than my Weim. They are very high energy in the house and out and it doesn't subside much as they age. Mine is now 10 and he acts 3. Hunts like a mutha but the activity level in the house is still high and makes Momma anxious.

I like what I call dry short coats. Labs are not real long haired but they have the oil on them that ends up stinking IMO. The pointing breeds don't smell like that and don't shed too bad. The Weim was better than the Vizsla in that regard but both are good.

I picked up a dog 2 years ago now after doing a ton of research and calling lots of people. I just about got a Pudelpointer but that deal fell through. I then found what was my first choice - a Braque Francais, a small French Pointer.

Short haired, calm in the house especially when compared with the Vizsla, doesn't stink, hunts like a champ, smart as hell and so far very nondestructive. He'll grab a few shoes and socks but doesn't tear them up. Not real needy either.

The Vizsla is called the Velcro dog. Literally they want to lay on you of lean on you or touch you all the time. They're super needy.

I'm really happy with the Braque because he is as advertised. He isn't big, 46lbs, doesn't tear the house to pieces, sheds little but he's mostly white ticking so it shows more but they have darker coats as well. I'd get another but most importantly I think my wife would too.

Not sure where you are but I bought mine from a guy of Mitchell SD. Not too many around and tough to find as they are relatively new to North America. There are 2 versions, the Gascogne (larger) and the Pyrenees (small). I have the small version. They look somewhat like a GSP because of their coat colors but different shape and smaller.

Hair will always be an issue, no matter the breed. Like many have said, the wirehaired breeds will likely shed a little less, but will require more maintenence work. The shorthaired breeds will shed about the same as a lab, but you will notice it less. In my experience, the best way to control shedding is to feed the best quality food you can afford and always have good clean water for the dogs. In the past I have fed dogs high end, grain free food and realized almost an elimination of the shedding. I have too many dogs now for that to be feasible, but my wife doesn't mind a little shedding. Our gsp that is in the house sleeps in our bed and you can see that she sheds a little bit, but not to the point of it being on clothes or having hair in your mouth.

As far as temperment, you really can't judge that by breed and have to go by the individual dog or the bloodline characteristics. I can't speak of the other breeds, but as far as gsp's go, you can have them from one end of the spectrum to the other. You can usually get a general idea from the lines that they come from. My preference is for anything that originated from Hustler lines. In general, they have a calmer, more house friendly attitude. That doesn't mean that they all are that way or that dogs from other lines can't be, but I think you will find pretty good agreeance from shorthair people that line bred Hustler dogs are very good in the house.

And since birdshooter started the cute pictures, here you go.....

dayshasleeping.jpg

Last edited:
I can't thank you guys enough..This is good stuff and is really making my search easier. I do have an update..MY wife..yes my wife..is trying to convince me to take in a 8 month lab.I have some doubts do to the age..Like you guys I believe in trainning them early and if they have good training this will shape how the dog will be. My last lab was trained from 8 weeks on and turned out be the best dog I have ever owned. So much I think I am a little spoiled. :) Does anyone think taking in a 8 month old puppy a good idea?

Back