Disturbing story from Kansas

http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/thread/1321964705.html

A sad story of a pup in Kansas.

Posted by rclagg [User Info] [Email User] on 11/22/2011, 6:25 am

My 9 month old pup was shot while hunting in Kansas last week. We were hunting on my cousins property and my pup ran onto some adjacent property and a guy shot him through the neck with what looks like was a 22 caliber rifle. He was wearing a beeper collar so we were able to find him quickly and get him to a local vet. The local vet sent us to an emergency hospital in Kansas City where he was stabilized. After 2 days in Kansas City were were able, with seditives & an IV, to transport him to The Ohio State hospital in Columbus. He was treated and evaluated and it was determined that he was unable to swallow or prevent aspiration through the trachea so a tube was inserted through his abdomen into his stomach. They started to feed him on Sat. evening, 5 days after the shooting,and we brought him home on Sun. evening. I am now feeding and administering medication to him through the tube 3 times a day and will have to continue this for at least the next month. After a month he will be re-evaluated and if he heals and there is not too much nerve damage and he is able to eat we will be home free, if not it will be a feeding tube through his side for the rest of his life.
There was a message on a board about a dog that was shot during a championship, anyone know how that turned out? Also does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
Kansas law says that the only reasons for shooting a dog is to protect yourself or your livestock. There was no livestock and this Setter pup wouldn't hurt a fly so it was target practice for sure.
The expenses for my dogs treatment have been astounding and it is something I cannot afford so I guess I will have to see if the courts can provide me with some sort of justice. If anyone has had any experiences with anything like this please fill me in , thanks.

Last edited:
Find the owner, find out if he had someone on his land. hopefully it wasn't someone trespassing or you may have problems. The courts will hammer whoever did it, very hard, find a good lawyer. I hope your pup hangs in there and makes a full recovery. You are a much stronger minded person than me if someone did that to my dog I would already be in jail. I would not be able to control myself. Make the MF burn !! If you need a good lawyer in the KC area let me know I know several. Best of luck with your dog I hope everything works out. You might want to think about putting a fund raiser on here for your dog too. I'm sure there are a lot of people on here that love there hunting dogs as much as you and would be willing to help. I know I would help.

Man I'm sorry for the dog and you! There is no point in sombody doing that! I hope the dog will be ok and the person is taught a real good lesson. I don't like to think of what I would have done before I could stop myself. An accident is one thing,but that was just mean!

thats sad the person that done this definately has something wrong himself can you only imagine what thoughts actually go through this lowlifes head?

Never underestimate the stupidity people are capable of. I am reluctant to suggest this, but I have never seen a situation like this result in either satisfactory justice or a complete recovery but there's always a first time. Years ago, I had a pointer shot by a high powered pellet gun, in her own kennel, in the middle of town, by some drive by idiot, lodged in the heart muscle, shallow, but problematical, no good outcome after several months of efforts, surgeries, etc. I have witnessed the horror of a field shooting as you describe, the perpitrator, if you can find him, will claim the dog was running deer or chasing livestock, and turn this into a swearing contest, since the only one who saw the shooting first-hand was the shooter..... well you get the idea. Attorney fees will only add to your burden. We all wish you well, our prayers are with you as we hope for a full recovery.

I once treated a cocker spaniel that was shot by a pellet gun with a BB pellet. The BB entered the dogs back, passing through skin muscle and THROUGH a nerve foramen in the spine without chipping bone and lodged in the dead center of the spinal cord. The dog was of course paralized from that point caudally. After consulting with University of GA Vet college an being told there was naught I could do, I euthanatized the dog. It was very hard telling the young woman that owned him. Whoever it was that shot him probably did not mean to kill him, but they did. Never found the culprit. It was a million to one or more odds shot. Xrays from two views were proof positive it was dead center and no broken bones or chips. As hunter I realized the impossibility of doing that! I will never forget it. NEVER point a gun at anything you do not wish to shoot! You know the person (likely a kid IMO) will never know he killed that dog!

I have a young setter myself, and this episode hits close to home! I pray the dog will be alright and has a speedy recovery. I woud not take anything for my dogs!

Lousy $#*(#$(*$#(*#$.

I just don't understand how people can do that.

My hat's off to the owner for willing to stick with his dog through thick and thin. Does anyone know the rough location of the incident? Not trying to hotspot per se, just want to make sure I'm not in the same area!

Lousy $#*(#$(*$#(*#$.

I just don't understand how people can do that.

My hat's off to the owner for willing to stick with his dog through thick and thin. Does anyone know the rough location of the incident? Not trying to hotspot per se, just want to make sure I'm not in the same area!

It's terrible!

Pls do give us the location if you hear of it.

It is not my pup and I do not know Mr. Clagg. I saw that posted on the cover dog message board and thought you all may have some advice on Kansas law.

I hope for the best for all involved. And at the very least a visit by Karma to the shooter.

WOW, I really can't believe what I just read. I understand there are some stupid people in this world, but that ranks right up there. Having lived in Kansas most of my life until a few years ago and hunting in kansas til this day it floors me. Having a 10 month old gsp that is about ready to hunt this story really shocked me. My hat is off to the owner of the setter and hope for a good recovery for the pup.

If a fundraiser is started I will be first in line to donate.

http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/thread/1321964705.html

We were hunting on my cousins property and my pup ran onto some adjacent property and a guy shot him through the neck with what looks like was a 22 caliber rifle. He was wearing a beeper collar so we were able to find him quickly and get him to a local vet..

If he ran onto adjacent property as stated he needs to contact the landowner for that tract and question him on it or contact an attorney to do it. Based on everything stated, unless his dog was chasing his cows or something pretty sure they don't just have the right to shoot it. He better get on it ASAP, sounds like a good court case but he needs to document info and do his own footwork if he wants something done.

Very sad to hear about this, hope his dog makes a full recovery:(

If you can send him a link to this thread on here that is going.

Last edited:
I hope the pup pulls through and everything turns out OK. I don't want to even think of what I would do in that situation, probably end up in jail. Accidents are bad enough, but for some jackass to purposely shoot a dog like that is horrible.

I thought they passed a new law HB2089 -- this bill would allow a licensed hunter or furharvester to retrieve their hunting dog from posted land without permission.
I hope the pup gets better

"It shall be lawful for any person at any time to kill any dog which may be found injuring or attempting to injure any livestock as defined in K.S.A. 47-1001, and amendments thereto." K.S.A. 47-646 [Kansas Statutes Annotated section 47-646]. So, if the dog was around livestock . . . or your dog goes around livestock, beware.

Never underestimate the stupidity people are capable of. I am reluctant to suggest this, but I have never seen a situation like this result in either satisfactory justice or a complete recovery but there's always a first time. Years ago, I had a pointer shot by a high powered pellet gun, in her own kennel, in the middle of town, by some drive by idiot, lodged in the heart muscle, shallow, but problematical, no good outcome after several months of efforts, surgeries, etc. I have witnessed the horror of a field shooting as you describe, the perpitrator, if you can find him, will claim the dog was running deer or chasing livestock, and turn this into a swearing contest, since the only one who saw the shooting first-hand was the shooter..... well you get the idea. Attorney fees will only add to your burden. We all wish you well, our prayers are with you as we hope for a full recovery.

Ditto, I been through it. the judge just looked at us and said..IT'S JUST A DOG and we got NOTHING!

Very sorry to hear of your tragic story. We wish you and your dog the very best. I'm a vigilante, the SOB would have the worst streak of luck known to man.

A neighbor of mine used to shoot any dog that came onto his place no matter who it belonged to_One day the neighbors had enough and paid him a visit and since then he has not shot a dog and that was 28 yrs. ago.

That IS a disturbing story.:mad:

Best wishes to the dog and its owner. I don't know how a person could control his temper in a situation like that. I get enraged just thinking about it.

Back