Disturbing story from Kansas

I was standing by my truck getting ready to hunt a ROW near Oral SD one day when the landowner showed up and said "If that f!@#$% dog crosses the fence, he is dead in his tracks." Without saying a word, I just put my shotgun back in the rack and grabbed the .270, he got the message,post haste!

I also have a dick@#$% taxidermist who lives next door to my cabin on the BH Nat. Forest who leaves way too much waste laying around just so he can shoot dogs who come around. He thought he was real cute telling me he would kill my dogs if they came around. I looked him square in the eye and said "That makes my life very simple, I will only have to dig one hole for the both of you." I meant it and he knew it. Never another problem with that joker in over twenty years.

This dog will be in my prayers.

"That makes my life very simple, I will only have to dig one hole for the both of you."
I'm filing that for future reference..;)

I have often wondered what I would do if this situation came up. I hope that like this guy, I could keep my emotions under control but I am not sure. I would hate to spend the rest of my life in prison for a dog, but I was sitting on a hay bale, all in orange, at the end of a 40 acre field one night and a guy in a pickup shot at a coyote between me and him. I HEARD the bullet go by me... My Dad said he'd have put one through the guy's engine. I did not -- too scared at the time.

To see someone shoot my dog... I do not know. I'd probably be too broken up to do much to the guy -- trying to fix her, somehow. Afterward? I don't know... What price do you put on that pup?

Life without my dogs ain't no life at all.

I have often wondered what I would do if this situation came up. I hope that like this guy, I could keep my emotions under control but I am not sure. I would hate to spend the rest of my life in prison for a dog, but I was sitting on a hay bale, all in orange, at the end of a 40 acre field one night and a guy in a pickup shot at a coyote between me and him. I HEARD the bullet go by me... My Dad said he'd have put one through the guy's engine. I did not -- too scared at the time.

To see someone shoot my dog... I do not know. I'd probably be too broken up to do much to the guy -- trying to fix her, somehow. Afterward? I don't know... What price do you put on that pup?

You haven't hunted antelope in the west I take it! Standard procedure is every high school kid who can handle a rifle rocketing across the flats shooting at antelope on the horizon. While your hiking, bullets whine over head like an artillery barrage. That's why I quit!

You haven't hunted antelope in the west I take it! Standard procedure is every high school kid who can handle a rifle rocketing across the flats shooting at antelope on the horizon. While your hiking, bullets whine over head like an artillery barrage. That's why I quit!

So you have met my cousins in Harding County!?

Pick one. he is spot-on

This guy really needs to post the County he was in.

Right? It's killin' me. I really want to know where this happened. I guess it is most important to be reminded that things like this can happen anywhere, but I'd like to know roughly where this dumb SOB does his dog-shooting:mad:

I am a advid pheasant hunter, and own an 8 year old German Short Hair pointer which I love. I also raise chickens and cattle. I can see both sides of this story.

If the dog ran briefly onto someone elses property, and did not chase or get near any livestock then the guy that shot him is an a$$ hole. That being said, my dog will get a steady shock from me if it runs on to (or near) property that I don't own, or do not have permission to trespass on. If I am hunting around cattle my dog is on a very short leash.

If the dog was chasing livestock, has chased livestock in the past, and has been a problem numerous times, he should be shot in my book. The dog will have to pay or the dog owners stupidity.

I have shot near stray dogs that won't leave my property after yelling at them. This has always worked. It is MY property remember? It is also my livestock at risk. I have only had to shoot a dog one time, I was about 17 and a stray german shepard was chasing our cattle in the corral to near exhaustion when I arrived home. I yelled and threw things at him, but he would not leave and not stop. I went and got a .223 and shot right behind him. He turned and faced me in an agressive manner and I had to kill him.

I do not know all the details of what happened in Kansas. Like I said, if it was just a brief period of tresspassing and no livestock were involved the guy was an A$$ hole. But part of me thinks the owner should be more careful where his dog goes, especially when the dog has an electric collar on, and the tresspassing could have been prevented by the dog owner.

Just my two cents.

NOP, spot on from my point of view. I feel the same way. I will not get upset if a dog crosses my fence till it starts chasing my cattle, then I get a bit testy. I have given hunters a chance to get their dogs back several times. Funny thing is on one occasion the hunter wanted to borrow my rifle to catch his dog. Didnt need to as my boy cut the dog off with the 4 wheeler but atleast the hunter had the balls to take ownership. We now enjoy several visits a year from him and a new dog.

Usually a lost hunting dog is more concerned with finding his handler than chasing livestock. Also, most responsible handlers train their dogs to steer clear of livestock in any situation.

Turtle,

If I am hacking at my dog to try to get him back to me, does that weigh into your decision? I've been fortunate that I've never had a dog that cared to chase cattle. Did have a beautiful back of a white horse this weekend, though.

I like it when people are hacking at their dog. Makes me think hell atleast 2 of us lose control of our dogs sometimes. I have only offered to shoot 1 groups dogs and that was last winter when Little turtle was trying to work his calves and the idiots crossed 2 fences and walked thru my front yard to hunt the hedge row around my house. I may have over reacted on them.

Back