Crippled Birds

JMBZ71

Hey guys, got a question for the experts here...

What's your preferred method for finishing off crippled/wounded birds?

Thanks in advance for your replies, guys!

Usually my GSP gives them a good squeeze and shake if they are still kicking...but if not, it's the old ring the neck that works for me.

wring their neck

On a hunt a few years ago, we gather at the end of succesful hunt through a field. I catch movement out of corner of my eye and there's a rooster from my vest, with his head sticking up above my left shoulder, very much alive and looking around. With my left elbow, I nudge cousin Tom and ask him "Hey Tommy, can you take care of this". The starteled look on his face when he sees the rooster was hilarious. The other guys all see it and we were laughing so hard as he wrung it's neck I could have peed my pants. He made sure it was dead before putting it back.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Anybody use the lung compression/suffocation method?

Not on pheasants, but I use this method on Quail and doves. This would work on pheasants too, but I am thinking they would spur the heck out of you.:eek:

I collapse their rib cage. They pass out immediately, do not spur, and then die within about 15 seconds. About as painless as it gets.

Last edited:
my favorite is when you open the tailgate of the truck and have on staring at you.

. . . and when they jump out of your bag.

I always have to be different, I step on their head. I believe it is the quickest cleanest way that I know of.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Anybody use the lung compression/suffocation method?

I have. Grasp the birds from the back and squeeze down on the rib cage until you see the head drop. Takes about 30 seconds then night... night.

The British use a "priest" and club them on the back of the head and she's lights out.

or you could do it the "Duck Commander" Phil Robertson way.

Last edited:
. . . and when they jump out of your bag.

Had that happen with a big ole northern drake mallard once. Was in the back of the truck (topper) and when I opened it a couple hours later the chase was on. Flapping and squawking, made a big mess in the back, but I finally gave him the coop deg-raw.

I'm a neck ringer as well. I've had one sneak out of my vest in the back seat of my truck and wind up on the floor board in front. Also had one last year come back to life in the back of the truck (no topper) and jump over the side and made a run for his life. Good thing my setter saw him when he jumped out of the truck. He made it about 50 yards before he was caught again.

Another vote for the neck routine

I'm a neck ringer as well. I've had one sneak out of my vest in the back seat of my truck and wind up on the floor board in front. Also had one last year come back to life in the back of the truck (no topper) and jump over the side and made a run for his life. Good thing my setter saw him when he jumped out of the truck. He made it about 50 yards before he was caught again.

Love all these storys about birds coming back to life. So I'll shareone.

Two years ago a good friend and I where hunting ducks and geese, in the early season. I'd shot a couple of drake mallards, and a red head. When things got slow, no birds flying for an hour,or so. We then heard gunshots down the river, a long ways off. About 30 seconds latter we heard geese honking and getting closer. A lone canadain goose came in right above us kind of high. We both shot once at the same time, and down comes the goose, smack on the snow covered bank. Ok after chasing the goose though the sage brush for 5 minutes, I got a hold of its neck, Wring, Wring, Wringing it's neck. I toss the goose down next to the ducks, and place my shotgun on top of the goose. My hunting buddy placed his gun right next to mine, on top of the goose. This is where the story takes a turn.

I light a smoke, and rubbed my finger and hand, to get the blood flowing. I'd forgotten my glove liners. After 15 minutes of smoking and a cup of coffee, A flock of ducks comes in. We dump the coffee and grab the shotguns.

That dam goose got up off the snow and started flying away. Boom He didn't get far, but the ducks flaired off. I had no Idea geese are such good actors.:rolleyes:

Back