Christmas hunt

KB, at least 150 and that was only 5 of the 10 coveys I know on this spot.

Bleu, you and Joe are always welcome and most of you other guys too.:cheers:

pics are overrated and are really for those who have something to prove i myself and others who have hunted with me and the boys now what the truth is about our hunting spots and how well they produce and my phone is shi&&&t and takes pictures acordingly

Hey, you got nothing to prove, but some of us like to see what everyone is doing and what kind or cover they are hunting. There is also the good dog work.

turkey and quail

well, ya beat me too it. turkey won't average 18 #'s but the point is well made, that would be field heaven and a hunter in that field should be happier than a pig n' shit. as for the guy that thinks his britts hunt, maybe he should consider that passing on info is neat, not always bragging and pictures are for memories, sounds like he doesn't get it.

cheers

pics are overrated and are really for those who have something to prove i myself and others who have hunted with me and the boys now what the truth is about our hunting spots and how well they produce and my phone is shi&&&t and takes pictures acordingly

The truth is GCB can't figure out his phone!!! He finds birds with the best!!! Electronics just do not operate well in Grainfield!!!!:D

quail stuff

we sure don't have that problem around here, having so many quail around ya can't figure which one's ta shoot at, me, just wouldn't know what to do about it. i ain't seen the fust one's yet this year let alone getting run over by them. turkey are another problem. never in over 40 years of chasing roosters have i ever seen 500 birds in a day but i can show you that many turkey. call me jealous or just call me

I get that pictures are for memories but not so much around here unlike most hunting isn't one of those once a year things we do it all season long its almost an everyday accurance so therefore we make new memories all the time and usually bettter ones than the day before and as for my brittanies hunting i will put them up against any dog any time so get off it or put your money where your mouth is and after they beat your dogs ass i will show you the wall of trophies they have given me just to rub salt in your wound ther ewas one other person who thought his dogs were the shit and challenged me but he never would step to the plate there are a select few on here who have seen them in action an they will laugh at you when you accept

bird dogs and then there are bird dogs

gcb sounds like you are so busy trying to locate your own dogs that you haven't had the time to watch some good one's run. a guy never owns the best, somewhere out there is a guy and a dog that really knows what is going on, take a break and look around ya, ignorance is bliss, there is hope though

happy new year just the same

cheers

I sure wish I would have had my turkey permits. I can't count how many turkeys were pointed so far. Pretty wild that such a big bird can hide from you not 5 ft away! Scare the crap out of you when they flush. It's a pheasant on steroids!

turkey

i am seeing and hunting turkey between the border and atwood, if you find a ditch and cottonwood trees and something to eat, you will find turkey. for years i thought hunting them was kinda disgusting but as i get older they seem more fun, winter hunting presents it's own set of challenges due to the size of the flocks and sometimes the cold like last week. using my 14 ga. muzzle loader makes it a bit more challenging as i can't shoot past 30 yds. whereas with the new loads and turkey chokes are good to a little over 60. big difference, in the spring i will switch to my bow and am shooting turkey at about 10 yds. and less. to our springer buddy in calif. that likes to shoot them out of the air, while i have done that also, in kansas at least where i hunt it becomes a crap shoot, easy to hit, hard to get a flush. my first turkey was shot over a solid point, boy were the dogs surprised when they went for the retrieve. do the turkey cause damage to the pheasant nesting? i believe that they are very damaging and destroy pheasant nest, comment???

I get that pictures are for memories but not so much around here unlike most hunting isn't one of those once a year things we do it all season long its almost an everyday accurance so therefore we make new memories all the time and usually bettter ones than the day before and as for my brittanies hunting i will put them up against any dog any time so get off it or put your money where your mouth is and after they beat your dogs ass i will show you the wall of trophies they have given me just to rub salt in your wound ther ewas one other person who thought his dogs were the shit and challenged me but he never would step to the plate there are a select few on here who have seen them in action an they will laugh at you when you accept

Wow. Happy new year:cheers:

As far as destroying nesting habitat? I don't know. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and why you think they are hard on habitat.

Hey Gove bring them brittanys over. Bub and me got into two big coveys while chasing bunnies this morning. Ran home and grabbed his lab and shotgun. We did well and will be having quail for supper. I never missed a shot til the first covey flushed. Good thing Justin can shoot and laugh at the same time.

pheasant nest

there seems to be very little written on it but what i have been able to find indicates that turkey and pheasants breed at very closely the same time and certainly overlap in their nesting at the least. the turkey, being larger and more aggressive (turkey attacking the mailman) can't stand the competition, wander over a much larger area where they find and destroy hen's nest. most specie are not overly kind to others and there are lots of examples of that. one hint and it is just that, 15 to 20 years ago while hunting in at least western kansas i would exclaim, wow! there's a turkey, kinda the same for deer, then a few years back it was wow! there's a flock of them, now it is shit there are everywhere. i believe that as the turkey flocks have grown, the pheasant crop has declined at least in the areas that provide turkey habitat and of course not all of kansas does, just most of it, probably does not apply to quail as they are smaller and nest several weeks later leaving the hen turkey something else to mind like their brood. surely some of you guy out there can add to or correct some of this

happy new year but i am stuck at home, next week!

Where I hunt there is a large 400+ flock of turkeys and it is also my best spot for quail and pheasants. Lots of crp and fence rows so I have not noticed any one species running the other off. Turkeys nest about a month earlier than pheasants but I am sure each year is different. I know when I used to help guys with hay we would see turkeys on the nest in late April thru May. Would see turkey chicks by late May.

zeepo

hatching time

zeepo, in general, pheasants nesting starts early may, incubation about mid may and first hatch about mid june. with turkey, egg laying starts about late april with most hatching occurring late may and early june. so there is not much difference between the two, doesn't prove much though, quail are several week later. where i hunt the crowing and gobbling go hand in hand.

All the telemetry studies and the artificial nest studies indicate limited depredation of quail or pheasant nests by turkey.

pheasant nest

really bored today, shoulda went huntin. anyway, the turkey federation says that turkey do no eat quail eggs. one might jump back a bit and assume that they don't like pheasant eggs either but then maybe it is the difference in hatching times. what i found interesting is that according to Eaton: 1992, pheasants are parasites of turkey nest, there ya have it. pheasants let the hen turkey hatch their eggs for them, seems like if they were that smart though, we would have more of them, bottled 5 cases of wine today, had to do something

cheers

Well we start with conservation, with habitat as the root cause of all problems of wildlife. First case that is as simple as the pimple on yor nose, what we know about nature is miniscule, so the idea that we Know the turkey does not impact quail is a theory. It's a theory that is a favorite of the conservation set. It is probably true. I suggest a theory that predators are not a problem on quail, be they turkey or skunks, if we have boundless habitat, somewhere the quail will survive and multiply. We do not have that luxury. So in the habitat position we find are ourselves in, with competing animals for little cover, who knows what effect turkeys have? If they compete for food sources, nesting cover, winter cover, and hen eats a chick here or there, it mitigates the quail population. I will tell you, I find 400 flocks of turkeys or the deer herds I see yarded up this winter, are disturbing. But not apparently to the conservation department. Habitat might make the quail more abundant and the property less attractive to deer and turkey. A win -win to me!

While this is not scientific, one of my best quail spots is overrun with turkeys. It sucks becuase my 4 yo setter is crazy about turkeys, and its a pain to have them around.

While there may be some impact on quail and pheasants from turkeys, I think its minimal.

Back