Choke

wisturkeyhunter

What choke does everyone prefer for pheasants? If you use different chokes for different gauges state that to.

I like a light modified in my 12 gauge pump.

I like your choice WTH, I shoot an O/U I have the LM in my bottom barrel (1st shot) and a Reg Mod. in the top. It just a combination that works well for me over my Brittany.....Bob

Light Modified in my 26" M1 but a Modified in the 28" Montefeltro. I actually have not hunted pheasants with either gun yet, but after several boxes of clays, these two seem to work the best for me.

In my SX3 I use an Improved Cylinder choke, in my Model 101 O/U I shoot IC in the bottom barrel and Mod. in the top barrel. On my Model 301a I shoot a Skeet Choke.

I bought a Briley LM extended choke for my 391 Beretta 12 gauge but won't hesitate to switch to mod or IM if they are flushing wat ahead on our SD trips.

In my Red Label I shoot skeet in the top barrel (first one shot) and improved or modified in the bottom. In the 1100, it is improved.

Chokes for Pheasant

I shoot a 12 ga. o/u. On a calm opening day I'll shoot skeet and improved cylinder. For other days and conditions, improved cylinder and modified.

Proper choke

It is great to see that many of you are shooting O/U guns. I shoot IC in the bottom barrel and Mod in the top. Several years ago I kept a detailed log of my hunting, which is mostly for pheasants. I killed over 80% of my birds with the first shot, meaning that most were killed with the IC tube. I guide pheasant hunts and many more birds would be killed in guys would leave the Full choke at home. Good quality modern ammo has high antimony lead, slow burning powders, and much improved shot cups. All of this makes modern ammo pattern much tighter than the old stuff did.

Good shooting.

Regards,

Travis

My 16sxs was choked full and fuller when I bought it. I had both barrels opened to LMod and have been very happy with the results.

BobM

I have a mod. in my 1100, and Improved in my 870 but im lookin to go to mod for it too. Modified just seems to work better for me with pheasant, but for quail i really like improved!

I shoot a mod choke in the semi, and an extende Carlson IC and M tube in the OU. Both 12 ga. I used to use IM when the dog (flushing lab) was younger, but now that she's got suitable range figured out I got a little more open.
Cheers,
-Croc

I shoot a O/U and usually shoot I/C in the first barrel, MOD in the second. If i move into a CRP type field or some kind of more open habitat i might go double modified.....Most of my pheasants have come from I/C choke. I am planning on getting a light modified and improved modified choke for the gun to experiment with as well.

In my single barrel guns, I use Mod.

In my doubles I use IC for the first shot and Mod for the second.

I used to be a mod guy and blast right away, but after trialing , we let the birds ride out and take the one pop aproach now, so I wait , let em ride, and use a IM and a full in the top of my OU. I seem to kill more birds now that I have taken the take your time aproach. and with the fed 1,500fps's they just seem to die. But different chokes for dif guns and shot no doubt, you will have to exp. some and pattern your gun to what you are comfee with. LOL

The optimum choke depends on the shot size which in turn should be determined by the range at which you intend to shoot the birds. Sometimes people seem to expect the pellets shot from a full choke to travel farther than those shot from an IC tube which is ridiculous. The ideal choke for a given situation is the one that will put at least 5-7 pellets in the bird. In my experience, the vast majority of pheasant hunters come choked and loaded to kill birds way beyond the range they can hit them. This means that the birds they do hit are often destroyed.

The important thing is to start with a reasonable assessment of the max. range for your ability.

If thatâ??s 35 yds, then #7 ½ shot will have the penetration to reach the vitals of a rooster. An IC choke should give the most even pattern w/out destroying meat.

If you can shoot out to 45 yds. you are better than 80% of the hunters in the field but #6 shot will still reach the vitals at this range. Light mod or mod will keep your pattern dense enough to put the 5-7 pellets in the bird necessary for a clean kill. You need to avoid shooting birds at point blank range and will want to hunt only with people who respect shooting lanes or you wonâ??t get many shots.

If you are a competitive trap or sporting clay shooter who can consistently hit beyond 45 yds., you will benefit from #5 shot and IM or full chokes. #5 shot will penetrate a crossing bird to around 60 yds but youâ??d better have a good retriever or spaniel to recover the bird. Straight away shots should be kept under 50 yds. even w/ a full choke.

I often load a # 4 in my top barrel but save it for a follow up shot on a cripple. Keep in mind that very cold air is more dense and may justify a step up in shot size and corresponding choke.

Back