Choke

Problem with using smaller shot like 7's or 7.5's is you get alot of pellets in the meat if the range is closer and if the range is farther they don't break bones as effective and alot more birds hit the ground running. Smaller window of opportunity where they are ideal. I"ve never had a problem getting 5's to pattern good. Plus with 5's if a bird drops a leg at 50 yards I have a better chance of knocking him down.

Do a lot of you guys prefer extended choke tubes in your guns. I shoot a benelli m2 and was considering getting a extended choke tube. Just wondering if anyone else like to use them too.

I prefer the extended chokes because they are easier to change out and easier to identify which choke is in the gun. Once your close up vision starts to fade you need all the help you can get. ;)

As far as the longer chokes performing better, I think much of that is marketing hype. Sure some of the specialty chokes that are very long ala (turkey style) do perform very well. It's a nice theory that the longer the choke the better the pattern, unfortunately that isn't always the case. Most of the longer aftermarket chokes are well made to tight tolerances, what this means is that they may perform closer to the norm (if that's possible) to what the choke is actually stamped. Some factory choke systems vary significantly from what the nominal choke constriction that is stamped on the choke. You may have a factory choke stamped as modified that performs more like an IC or vise versa.

More than you probably wanted to hear.....:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I thought if i would get would it would be a modified size just becuase thats what ive always shot. Not sure on what brand or anything. I know benelli has those extended crio chokes but i think you might have to order them.

The Benelli/Beretta choke systems are pretty good from my experiences. They seem to throw pretty true to what they are stamped.

I don't know much about the Crio chokes from Benelli, but would be willing to bet they aren't cheap. Briley makes extended replacement chokes for just about all makes and they are made extremely well and reasonably priced. If it were me, I would opt for a LM (Light modified) as that choke is rarely included with most manufacturers guns.

FWIW

On the question of extended chokes, I have some for my guns that I had to buy to the constriction I wanted. Now I'm hating them, when hunting and putting the guns back into their cases. The sharp edges on the tip of the chokes are ripping up my gun cases. I have expensive cases and don't like seeing them get ripped........Bob

I have a friend that has an English driven bird gun. It's a beautiful Joeseph Lang double that is choked XF in the R barrel (front trigger) and I/C in the L barrel (rear trigger). I guess the logic on driven birds was first shot was the fartherest away and then closer for the second shot.:eek::eek:
It was a beautiful gun that wasn't really practical to hunt with.:(

Maby going with a light modified is a good idea since i do already have the modified choke included. Im sure your right on the crio chokes being kind of spendy. Ill have to check out the briley chokes thats probly the best way to go.

Hey Lanedoc...
I have a set of extended crio chokes for a Benelli. I'm not using them at this time just because I have harped on not using a 28" barrel and now have 26" barrel's on all my Benelli's. I can't get used to seeing that choke sticking out and it defeats my shorter barrel theory. I think I have the following: Cyl, Imp, Mod, and Full. I'll check; let me know if you might be interested in them. You can see them here: http://www.benelliusa.com/parts_and_accessories/choke_tubes.php ... they are (D).

Ya those are the ones i have looked at on the benelli site and was interested in them. Any idea on what they would run or wut you would be asking for them?

. . . the birds they do hit are often destroyed.

Lately on this site, there are many, many testimonials about crippled/wasted/unrecovered birds but few-to-none about "destroyed" birds. Since there seems to be an epidemic of crippling going on, I'm surprised at all the light shot recommendations for wild pheasant roosters. These are relatively big, tough, heavily-feathered birds that run like racehorses; firing a shot size some choose for doves and quail wouldn't seem to make sense.

If you want . . . dead birds shoot #4's. If you want a bird that has 50 holes in it that is still alive use 7 1/2's. â?? SuperXJeff http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=198498&Messages=67#firstpost

Back