Canada Gamebird Ban

Thanks for posting M927.... I reached out to a friend last week that lives up there and outfits for waterfowl, and he mentioned this as well. I've attached a pic of avian flu warning in the Alberta regs.................heading up next week; also, a common sense change to the definition of possession limit..................hopefully the US will adopt a similar definition change

Attachments

• Canada AB 2022 Avian Flu Import Notice Fall 2022.jpg
    Canada AB 2022 Avian Flu Import Notice Fall 2022.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Canada AB Fall 2022 New Possession Limit Def .jpg
    Canada AB Fall 2022 New Possession Limit Def .jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 20
The primary issue is with domesticated poultry. Hunters simply happened to be caught up in it as a by-product. If it gets into a flock of domesticated turkeys or chickens, it wipes out the entire flock. Just last week a flock of 182,000 domesticated turkeys had to be euthanized in central MN. Unfortunate that it also affects hunters trying to bring home their game birds or waterfowl, but I'm sure the agriculture lobby as it relates to poultry and eggs have a lot of input on something like this. It probably represents a significantly higher amount of business than a hunting outfit does.

Government logisti!??
Cant bring back frozen cleaned birds???
Question??
What are they going to do about the millions flying over head going south!??
They did this some years ago..for a short while..until they realized how stupid it was.
Anyone see a anti hunting component her?😳👿

The primary issue is with domesticated poultry. Hunters simply happened to be caught up in it as a by-product. If it gets into a flock of domesticated turkeys or chickens, it wipes out the entire flock. Just last week a flock of 182,000 domesticated turkeys had to be euthanized in central MN. Unfortunate that it also affects hunters trying to bring home their game birds or waterfowl, but I'm sure the agriculture lobby as it relates to poultry and eggs have a lot of input on something like this. It probably represents a significantly higher amount of business than a hunting outfit does.
My understanding is bird flu is transferred through feces. When I process a bird the feces don't go in the freezer. Logic had little to do with the decision. Government inefficiency and infighting did, why else would the release this gem at 6:30 pm on a Friday going into a holiday weekend?

I agree it logically makes no sense and hopefully some common sense will get brought to the table and get this corrected. We just had a 4 million bird layer site test positive here in OH this week. All those birds will be euthanized and the site cleaned up and sit empty before refilling. Scary stuff for sure and sucks that it impacts hunters also.

Sounds like egg prices are going up again. BB if the folks that used to travel to Canada to duck hunt can't do that now, it sound reasonable they will go as far north as they can. Hope you like company!

My understanding is bird flu is transferred through feces. When I process a bird the feces don't go in the freezer. Logic had little to do with the decision.
That's incorrect. I work in this field. It spreads airborne once it gets into a flock of domesticated poultry. Again, hunters have very little to do with this decision. Its primarily for the poultry industry's safety. Hunters are a small by-product of the decision.

Additionally, its also a mutual decision from both the US and Canadian governments. Normally the Canadian government is more restrictive on these types of things, but this time they BOTH agreed it was the safest route.

Besides, if you're hunting geese in Canada now you don't have to worry about choking those leathery things down anyways. LOL

That's incorrect. I work in this field. It spreads airborne once it gets into a flock of domesticated poultry. Again, hunters have very little to do with this decision. Its primarily for the poultry industry's safety. Hunters are a small by-product of the decision.

Additionally, its also a mutual decision from both the US and Canadian governments. Normally the Canadian government is more restrictive on these types of things, but this time they BOTH agreed it was the safest route.

Besides, if you're hunting geese in Canada now you don't have to worry about choking those leathery things down anyways. LOL
????
So my question is still…How does this stupid 💩..going to prevent the spread ..with millions of birds flying over??🤮
So what your saying is the the Canadians and our bureaucracy are equally stupid…comforting 🤪

So my question is still…How does this stupid 💩..going to prevent the spread ..with millions of birds flying over??🤮
So what your saying is the the Canadians and our bureaucracy are equally stupid…comforting 🤪
I suggest you contact the USDA for an answer rather than sitting there and typing poop and facial emojis.

????
No one said it would prevent the spread.
It may reduce the spread.
So, weigh the risk of catastrophic loss to a farmer raising turkeys or chickens to support their family and the families of any employees to bringing duck and geese carcasses from Canada into the US.
Right decision in my opinion.

I suggest you contact the USDA for an answer rather than sitting there and typing poop and facial emojis.
Yea..that would be really informative.
You say you work “in the field”
How about you inform us how it will help the spread?

I appreciate the professional insights!

I have been on the phone multiple times over the last week with the USDA, USFWS, and border patrol agents (Pembina) because I am heading to northern Saskatchewan 09/09/2022 This is where I learned about transmission of the disease and why the last minute "under the cloak of darkness" policy release.
PS a quick internet search confirmed what I was told, and it doesn't transmit airborne, contact with feces and saliva....
I've been crapped on by A LOT of birds, but I don't think one has ever drooled on me:).
PPS I sometimes supply wood mulch to cover the carcasses (pre digestive composting) when a turkey barn is euthanized so I have some experience with how horrible this is. But I still do not see how a processed frozen bird will ever effect a commercial chicken/turkey operation.

Taken from the USDA link above:

"Hunter-harvested unprocessed wild game bird meat/carcasses, originating from or transiting Canada, will not be permitted to enter the United States regardless of the Canadian province from which the bird was harvested."

"Unprocessed"....so it they are cleaned and froze????

Dave, what is up with the pleasant demeanor this morning? Save that for somewhere else.

With the word unprocessed in there, it seems to me if the bird is breasted and prepared for transport it would be allowed? That would seem to make sense to me? If it's just a frozen breast idk why that would be prevented from entering. Now 50 whole carcasses? I guess I can see them not wanting that?

????
My brother in law’s sister uncle-aunt said they are erecting giant nets at the border to catch the birds before they fly south. He told me the DEA is doing it because the Mexican Mafia is using them for drug mules

My brother in law’s sister uncle-aunt said they are erecting giant nets at the border to catch the birds before they fly south. He told me the DEA is doing it because the Mexican Mafia is using them for drug mules
Are you serious Clark?

We dealt with the bird flu a few years back. It was the same, no birds can come across the border in possession of hunters. For a few days, the Canadian border patrol told the hunters where the local dump was and deposit the birds there. It only lasted a few days and the rule was overturned. It did not affect our group. Tomorrow the rules might change.

Back