Bragging Board - Your Birds, Dogs and Hunts

gjw

Hi all, just thought we'd start this thread again for this year. Hope to see lots of great pictures of yourselves, dogs, birds etc. So please post often!

Today was our pheasant opener, it turned out to be a good one. It was hot however, in the upper 80's, but the wind made it a bit more comfortable. Still hot for us and the dog. There were a lot of birds and hunters as well. It took longer to limit than I thought, but still it was a great time. Went with my son Will, he managed two and a grouse. He was not up to snuff, a roll of barbed wire fell on his foot yesterday, so he kind of ended the hunt early.

Anyway, here's my birds and my 12b Purdey:

DSCN12701.jpg

Will and his birds, he was using his 20ga BSS/S:

DSCN12721.jpg

Raina hauling a bird to the pile (she worked well today, she's progressing with each hunt):

DSCN12711.jpg

And the days tally:

DSCN12731.jpg

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Best!

Greg

Hi all, went out with my son Will today, was a windy day (25 and gusts to 30), but we managed to duplicate each others bag. We both got 2 grouse and 1 pheasant. I was lucky to get a double on grouse, so that was fun.

We did go out yesterday, but it was next to impossible to hunt, the winds were 35mph with gusts up to 50, really wild!

Anyway, here's the pics of the day.

My birds and my 12ga Buhag Hubertius:

DSCN12741.jpg

Will and his, he was using his 16ga Sauer Royal:

DSCN12751.jpg

And....Raina:

DSCN12781.jpg

Best!

Greg

Hi all,went out today after work for a couple hours, just me and Raina. Very nice day, low winds and nice temps for a change. Today was kind of like a replay of Monday, got 2 grouse and 1 rooster. Raina worked well, the rooster gave her a merry chase, but Raina won!

Anyway, here's the days bag. I was using my 12b Harkom

DSCN12801.jpg

Best!

Greg

Gjw, thanks for all the photos:thumbsup: Are you hunting in Montana? Have to ask due to the mixed bag.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Nope, I'm hunting here in ND. I live in a small farm town, so I'm able to start hunting within a couple miles of my house. Of course I don't always hunt around the house, I have a few places within an hours drive also. All the pics I posted are from around where I live. I'm very blessed and lucky to live where I do.

Thanks again!

Greg

I hope someday we have a return of the bird numbers that would justify just one purchase of a similar shotgun to one of yours....I'm jealous of those works of art. Looks like they make a pretty good meat stick too!

A fine gun, son, and bird dog....lucky man.

Nice post and pics!

Hi all, took the day off today to do a bit of hunting by myself (and Raina of course). It was a perfect day, overcast, cool and light winds. Just nice to be out.

I hunted the ranch/farm of some friends of mine instead of around the house, change of scenery. Went to visit the final resting place of our beloved Duchess, sure do miss her. I managed to shoot one of the birds about 100 yards from where she lays. I'm sure she was with us!

Thanks all for your very kind words and comments, they are much appreciated! Sure would like to see some of your pics, so please post them!

Anyway, I used my 16ga Garbi 100 today, nice gun.

DSCN12811.jpg

And of course Raina

DSCN12831.jpg

Best!

Greg

Hi Greg, quite the collection of SxS's. Some very handsome guns.

Thanks so much for the nice comments! I'm a bit of a SxS nut, I have 24 of them. They all get taken out at least once each year. I guess I'm OCD with them!

Best!

Greg

Hi Chuck!! Glad to hear from you again. Glad you joined this forum, it's a good one! Hope you and Lynn are doing well. The gun I was shooting that day was my Arrieta 871, still a Spaniard.

Take care old friend!

Greg

Last edited:
Hi Chuck!! Glad to hear from you again. Glad you joined this forum, it's a good one! Hope you and Lynn are doing well. The gun I was shooting that day was my Arrieta 871, still a Spaniard.

Take care old friend!

Greg

Gjw, I gotta ask what brand of strap vest is that... Wing works?

Last edited:
Gjw, I gotta ask what brand of strap vest is that... Wing works?

Hi, it sure is the best vest I've ever owned, bar none and I've had quite a few. I did make some modifications to it, here's my vest:

DSCN12791.jpg

The modifications I made are:

The black strap on the vest strap is to clip my Dogtra E-Collar transmitter on

The Holster on the left side of the vest is for my Astro 220

And the pouch on the right side is for misc. items (such as smokes, TP, matches/lighter, gloves or what ever you want) easy access without taking off the vest.

As I said, best vest I've ever had!

Good Luck!

Greg

Hi all, well today is the end of a nice three day hunting weekend. My friend Rick from MN came out again this year, we hunted Sat and Sun. Saturday was a bust, no birds in the bag, saw some, but that's about all. Today, Rick was only able to hunt for a couple hours, nothing with Rick. As soon as he left, Will and I got into them. I was ale to limit and get a grouse and Will managed 2. Raina really worked well today, we would have lost a couple birds if she wasn't with us. She's progressing well.

Anyway, Rick and Will

DSCN12841.jpg

My birds, I was using one of my favorite guns, my 12b Henry Atkin

DSCN12861.jpg

Will and his 16ga Sauer Royal

DSCN12871.jpg

The Raina Dog

DSCN12881.jpg

Best!

Greg

Nice stuff everyone!

Had young Pearl out again on Saturday for a few hours. Still lots of young birds around - they were hard to tell the sexes apart so I let them go of course. Finally rewarded with a limit of roosters. She is doing very well, but she needs work with finding downed birds in areas of active hot scent and with delivery to hand. But she's coming along, and we're having fun!

-Dave

Hi all, went out solo today with Raina, the boys are working cows at a friends place. Was a good day, able to limit in a couple hours. Beautiful fall day, sun, cool temps and light winds. Raina did well, she's getting better with each hunt.

Anyway, I used my 12b E.J. Churchill Premiere, and yes it has 25" bbls!

DSCN12911.jpg

Best!

Greg

Last edited:
Hi all, another good day, went out this afternoon with my son Will and Raina (of course). I was able to limit, and was lucky get a nice double and Will got one. Raina really did well, the last bird I shot was wounded and sailed off about 400 yards into a grassy ditch (some thicker stuff BTW). Will and I got over to it and had Raina do her thing, she got birdy fast and before long she went on a point, and got the bird. Would have lost it without her. I'm very proud of her!

Anyway, here's my birds and my 16ga Arrieta 871 (this one is a New England Arms import with Boss style engraving):

DSCN12921.jpg

Will with his 20ga Browning BSS/S:

DSCN12931.jpg

And the hero of the day!

DSCN12961.jpg

Best!

Greg

Finally managed to get out pheasant hunting and had a long weekend of it. Friday I had Maddie wear her camera harness and she got some great video! Feel free to turn the sound off, it adds nothing.

https://vimeo.com/album/3625732

She was a little sticky on retrieves, but we'll work on that.

Back