Bragging Board - Your Birds, Dogs and Hunts

Just back from two days of hunting in south central SD. Friday the wind blew steadily 20-25 and it rained intermittently with .40 inch total accumulation. Choked modified and full due to wind. With the wind and rain droplets on our eye wear (or in our eyes), shooting was challenging. Despite a number of misses I managed to bag one that flushed from a cane strip on a slant right to left with 1 1/4 oz. no. 5s thru the mod choke. Others did better. Saturday was near-perfect: clear skies, high 62, light breeze. Back to improved cylinder and modified, no. 6s for the first shot. My first bird was another right to left slant off a point in some grass and weeds. While retrieving, my buddy dropped one and my dog ran over and stood on it with my bird still in his mouth. Good dog. My second went straight off my left shoulder and high out of the bottom of a big pasture draw. My gun was up about 50-55 degrees at the shot. The third was a level straightaway off a point in a narrow pasture draw. My brags: my nine year old dog hunted hard and effectively both days, and I went three shells for three birds on Saturday. All in all a great hunt with two new (to me) guys who were boon hunting companions in the group. Thank you, hunt leader.

Last edited:
Just got back from greater Aberdeen area on Sunday. It was our first time there and we had a wonderful trip. We were able to get 11 birds between the 4 of us and missed plenty more of course!

You guys are killing me! Season doesn't open here for a couple of weeks and I haven't been able to get out of state yet. I have been able to get the dog on some planted birds to work on some skills but that will have to do for a couple more weeks.

Hi all, went out today with my boy Will and our buddy Joel. It was an interesting day to say the least! The wind was terrific. 25mph sustained and gusts into the 30's. Made hunting tough, birds were spooky, couldn't hunt some of our normal spots, just plain crappy. However, the company was great, Joel as usual was his happy go lucky self and told some great stories. Always a joy to hunt with him, sure wish more folks were like him!

Anyway, Will did manage a bird and we both tag teamed one, so we did get a couple. Raina did well, getting better with her pointing. All in all a good day!

Will with his 12ga Fabarm and Joel with his 12ga Sarriugarte

DSCN12971.jpg

Best!

Greg

Big sky birds and a happy dog.

Went out yesterday in Nebraska. This is my 12month old britt and this was his first wild bird hunt. He made some great points and got to put a nice mix of quail and roosters in the game bag.

Last edited:
Hi all, went out today and was it ever a nice day, low winds, 50's and partly sunny, almost a perfect day. Except......the birds didn't cooperate. Spooky for some reason, wouldn't hold point just mean spirited! Did manage a rooster and a hun, so it wasn't a complete wash. Raina did well, no complaints with the dog.

Anyway, I used my 12b Cogswell & Harrison Konor

DSCN13141.jpg

Best!

Greg

My brother and I got the dogs out Saturday and got into a mess of quail. We ended up with 15 birds which was way more than we expected to bring home.

I even managed a double on one covey rise.

And came home to three hand made calls waiting for me in the mail.

It was a good day to be a quail hound.:cheers:

That was a darn nice day and the calls are a huge bonus!!! Beautiful birds and dogs Robert!!!:10sign::cheers:

Hi all,went out today after work for a couple hours, just me and Raina. Very nice day, low winds and nice temps for a change. Today was kind of like a replay of Monday, got 2 grouse and 1 rooster. Raina worked well, the rooster gave her a merry chase, but Raina won!

Anyway, here's the days bag. I was using my 12b Harkom

DSCN12801.jpg

Best!

Greg
Ya just gotta LOVE those hammer doubles!:cheers:
Here's a few of mine- some are from last year
My main bird gun, Westley Richards 12 ore circa 1878

Justice and Keenan picking up a flyer!

Grand Dad's Lafeacheaux 16 gauge that I put back into shooting shape- birds were taken with 68 grains of FFG and 7/8 oz of 6's

Mid 1800's Chance and sons 14 gauge- 75 grains of FFG and 1oz of 6's

A well hit bird- the Chance and Westley barked at the same time!!!:laugh:

I'm new to this site and would love to post a pic but I am terrible at thinking of pictures. Just last weekend my buddy and I limited 2 days in a row and never even thought to take pictures. I need to get on that so I can show off my 4 year old Pudelpointer that has evolved into an impressive pheasant hunter.

Hi all, well we filled all of our deer tags (Will got his yesterday), so....now we can pursue our first love, bird hunting! Went out today for a couple hours and we did well, I was able to limit and get a hun and Will got 2 and a hun. Raina worked well today, her pointing is getting much stronger and I can say that we've not lost a wounded bird yet, thanks to her. She chased one today across a wider creek and was able to pin him down. Very happy with her.

Anyway, I used my 12b J. Blanch & Sons (with those evil damascus bbls!):

DSCN13151.jpg

The days bag with Raina (Will didn't want to be in any pics today):

DSCN13161.jpg

Best!

Greg

Last edited:
Hi all, Will and I went out today with the hopes of a duck hunt, but, everything was froze over. We had a cold snap here and also very high winds the other day, so it looks like the ducks blew out of the state. Not even the geese were flying, did see a bunch of snows, but couldn't hunt them. We did walk a couple areas for pheasants, saw a lot, but hard to hunt without a dog. Who knows how many we passed by. Anyway, we each managed to scratch one down a piece.

Will with his 12ga Fabarm

DSCN13171.jpg

I used my 12ga Merkel 147E

DSCN13181.jpg

Best!

Greg

Back