Blue Grouse

Frangler

Just wanted to see how many people on here are going to hunt Blues this year. I think its a great way to get myself and my dogs into shape before pheasant season!:D

I really want to give it a try some time.
It looks like a lot of fun and I think my 4 yo setter would do real well on them. My 2 yo setter I am sure would find birds but on the wrong side of the mountain.

So many different birds to hunt and so little time and money to go around :eek:

grouse

that wouldn't work. i have shot a lot of blue grouse over the years and they don't like dogs any better than pheasants do. a pointed blue is a rare thing. they taste better than pheasants do and they are meatier, also then to be bigger than roosters. most blues, most of the season are in really short to no cover except maybe trees, early season mommy and her chicks may be in foot high grass and weeds and aspen. as the season moves on, they tend to leave that and then it is just pine type trees and many flushes will be out of trees. getting too old for the hills, love the pheasants and quail, i can still handle the hills in kansas

cheers

that wouldn't work. i have shot a lot of blue grouse over the years and they don't like dogs any better than pheasants do. a pointed blue is a rare thing. they taste better than pheasants do and they are meatier, also then to be bigger than roosters. most blues, most of the season are in really short to no cover except maybe trees, early season mommy and her chicks may be in foot high grass and weeds and aspen. as the season moves on, they tend to leave that and then it is just pine type trees and many flushes will be out of trees. getting too old for the hills, love the pheasants and quail, i can still handle the hills in kansas

cheers

All the more reason to try with the dogs!

I will be doing some "grouse hiking" this year. ;) Closing on the new house in 2 days, almost finished with packing, then comes the unpacking. By the time the 2nd week of September rolls around, my wife will likely gas up the truck for me and help me pack to get me out of the house. LOL! :cheers:

I'll be hitting it hard for the next 2 months!
Only about a 30 min. drive for me to be in blue grouse country.
I got several from points last year; it can be done with a pointing dog but you have to put in many miles!

Can't wait to start on the blue. Lots of boot leather worn, but good cool weather and getting the dog out. True they may be in the timber and sometimes do not hold for a point but gives the dog something to be excited about.

wife stuff

I will be doing some "grouse hiking" this year. ;) Closing on the new house in 2 days, almost finished with packing, then comes the unpacking. By the time the 2nd week of September rolls around, my wife will likely gas up the truck for me and help me pack to get me out of the house. LOL! :cheers:

good luck with that

cheers

Kind of sucks that it starts on a Sunday but no matter. Going to head up to my honey hole and see how the population faired over the winter then maybe a new spot on Monday closer to town to stay out of the traffic. Good luck to all.... Post some pics......

Kind of sucks that it starts on a Sunday but no matter. Going to head up to my honey hole and see how the population faired over the winter then maybe a new spot on Monday closer to town to stay out of the traffic. Good luck to all.... Post some pics......

Yes and we all look forward to your pics :rolleyes::p ;)

I see you even have on your avatar some grouse...rub it in why don't you :thumbsup:

Greg

All the more reason to try with the dogs!

That's the right attitude for hunting Blue Grouse. It can be frustrating when you first get a dog on Blue Grouse but they will usually learn to get more cautious after some moderate exposure. I don't kill all my grouse off points but I usually get a few good points each day I go out. My friend has a GSP that even points them in the trees!! Early in the season hen Blue Grouse and their broods like to hang out in areas with thicker ground cover; small forest openings, raspberry patches, aspen groves and even sagebrush. Around late September early October the hunting typically gets tough when there is a decent frost that kills off the bugs and all the berries because the grouse then migrate into the timber where there isn't much ground cover. No matter what it's always fun and the temps are cooler than being down in the flatlands.

I should just take a drive to my in-laws (they live in Silverton) and hunt around down there :eek::rolleyes:

Greg

Greg , did I give you some GPS coordinance last year???

Great news! (for me). A friend of mine who farms on the western slope is hoping I'll stop by and shoot the Geese off his place when I come out for grouse!

Giant Honkers in the morning and Grouse in the evening, cant get much better than that for Sept 1st :thumbsup:

Just wanted to see how many people on here are going to hunt Blues this year. I think its a great way to get myself and my dogs into shape before pheasant season!:D

I'll be going, but not until mid-week. We are dog-sitting my daughter's cocker spaniel and my sons 4 month old lab, and it is just too much to handle trying to get those two knuckle heads in the truck with my setter and go for a hunt.

But, looking forward to it. Will be intersting to see if the drought has had as negative an impact on the blues and it has on pheasant and quail.

Great news! (for me). A friend of mine who farms on the western slope is hoping I'll stop by and shoot the Geese off his place when I come out for grouse!

Giant Honkers in the morning and Grouse in the evening, cant get much better than that for Sept 1st :thumbsup:

That ROCKS!! :thumbsup::10sign:

Greg

Back