Blue Grouse

Went out Saturday morning and managed to bag my first blue grouse before it started pouring on us.

Got the dog loaded up and decided I didn't feel like being damp all day and headed home.

Cooking it up now, hope it's tasty!

Glad you were able to get one of those rascals and actual were able to make out and get back safely.

Greg

Greg,
Weather was good past the divide. Don't let a little water on the front range discourage you. Rained very little and with the cloud cover provide the right amount of coolness for the dogs.... We had quite the adventure this weekend. Birds, porcupine, stuck in the mud, and one very angry rattlesnake.... But I cover that in another thread....

Matt

Matt,
So have you ever "snakeproofed" your dog? I would love to hear about the rattlesnake. I snakeproofed my dogs this summer, it was well worth the $$$.

I plan on trying to make it up by the end of the month. What has been the latest that you have gone or would go for grouse?

I just wasn't sure about how I-70 would be with all the rain and other roads that I would have to take would be.

Greg

Greg,
We generally stop the weekend before 1st season rifle. If the weather stays dry I have been know to hunt them the Sunday after 1st rifle opening day. After that there are too many dirt farmers slinging lead in the high country. So you have three more weekends to chase grouse feathers. I do take a shotgun during big game season and will walk for grouse if I get bored in the afternoons.

I-70 was a breeze up and back. This weekend should be good but some of the forest roads might be kind of tough to get up.

I have never snake proofed my dog nor in my many years of grouse hunting even seen a rattlesnake at 7100'.... Try not to go to places that hold snakes.
Dog didn't find him. We did. One of our party stepped right on him. Lucky I immediately recognized the sound and after a bit of excitement got him to take his trade elsewhere.:D

Matt

Glad to hear that your dog didn't come across him first :eek: That would not be good. Good thing no one got bit or anything. Yeah, by the time pheasant season rolls around, those critters are no where to be found.

I will look at the calendar and my schedule. If I have to take a Friday off I will do that. The weekends get tough this time of the year with football and chores and everything else. Not enough time....:confused:

I just hope that there are still some up there by the time I make it up. You may have shot them all or chased them to Wyoming :rolleyes:

Greg

Don't worry Greg.... There are plenty left. You'll just have to burn some boot leather. Lots of water in the high country this year so it is a bit challenging to locate them but when you do hang on to your hat.....
Weekdays are a good time to go as there will be few people out including big game hunters. I know how the calendar gets full. I won't be chasing blues the first week of October because I have pronghorn tags. Then it will be 2nd season elk before your know it and then third season deer... Time flys when you have so much to hunt.... Fall is my time of year and my wife knows to steer clear... Plus we don't have kids at home. Makes a bit of a difference.

I think the dogs might have run past him but didn't bother with him or he was too sluggish. It was a bit cool which probably saved our butts... It wasn't until he got stepped on that the excitement began. Then getting everybody out of the way to make a quick shot was also tough. You really get a wierd version of tunnel vision when a snake is coiled and buzzing mad...

Matt

Our youngest pup, Blitz, is up in Montana getting an early start on wild birds this year. With the drought last year, he ended up doing a lot of running around but didn't really get into any wild birds ... he did find the head of a goose decoy in a corn field. :laugh:

Anyhow, Blitz did a good job last weekend on Huns and grouse near Great Falls, MT.
9781649034_51fdecaa00_z.jpg

I may have to go join him soon.
:cheers:

Our youngest pup, Blitz, is up in Montana getting an early start on wild birds this year. With the drought last year, he ended up doing a lot of running around but didn't really get into any wild birds ... he did find the head of a goose decoy in a corn field. :laugh:

Anyhow, Blitz did a good job last weekend on Huns and grouse near Great Falls, MT.

Awesome pics....good looking pup!!! :coolpics:

Greg

Born and raised in Great Falls, Montana!! Great pictures! :cheers:
Me and my dad used to go out every afternoon after school/work and shot huns, I sure do miss those days and the bird hunting around Great Falls!!

I really like Great Falls too. Went pheasant hunting with the 2 older guys, and the lady taking the picture near Power, MT. Had a great time ... driving out to Power, I saw more pheasants than I had seen in CO and KS the previous year combined.

Back