Blue Grouse

I am wondering the same damn thing :mad::mad::mad:

I can't upload either and I have tried that website too and it doesn't work. I can just see the photos, big ole black lab, exhausted and hot from doing all the work ;) Looking down on those itty bitty grouse going "really, were is my treat".

Naw, I think I have a line on some areas, maybe even your honey hole :p

Might try to head up there the next couple of weeks before the weather gets to bad or crazy. Glad you had a good hunt and you only got four, man you must be slipping lol

Greg

I make sure that there are no decerning features in my photos as to give away my honey holes.I know some guys who might try and triangulate my position.:D
But since I can't upload photos I guess it doesn't matter.... That is really starting to make me mad. Took me a long time to change my avitar and it was a royal pain.

I think the weather is going to be good for awhile at least. So get out there and burn some boot leather and test out those lines... I need some new spots...

Ty was quite tired but with all the elk wallows he found he was quite cool and muddy. I give him the hearts as a "treat" when we clean them. I do that with all the birds I kill. He looks forward to his little bite of heaven.

Not slipping.. Two for two. We called it a little early as there seemed to be a bit of weather moving in. My honey hole is nice but if it rains just a little it can be a real cheek clencher getting out. I even throw a set of chains in just in case. Otherwise we might have scored another two.

Seems like it rains everyday in the high country. The wife and I were in Breck the week before and I have never seen it rain so much. At least the fishing was good.

Matt

Come on guys. Its really not hard to use photobucket, that's what a lot of us do. Just copy the image link and paste it in your post and bam! Theres your pic, like magic.:D

Ok, this is off my phone app but should be very similar on the desktop version of photo bucket.

See the last link (Img)? Thats the one you use for the pic to show up in your post.

Screenshot_2013-09-04-19-09-04_zpscb80e8e0.png

Okay now it makes sense... I should be able to make it work. Thanks....

I click the Mountain icon on uph and with my photobucket I hit the direct link. I do the photobucket first obviously!

hard mouth

if the dog is retrieving petty well and the bird is edible, not shredded, put up with it, leave the dog alone, obviously if it is a mallard muncher you gotta fix it and you have been given some hints.

cheers

Almost, but use the img link not tge url link.:cheers:

Yep. That's a tired, happy dog behind some grouse for sure.

Yeah, he always looks tired ;) I think he hunts him to hard, the dog gets so many grouse retrieves, he is probably like, okay dad.....:p;)

Greg

Come on guys. Its really not hard to use photobucket, that's what a lot of us do. Just copy the image link and paste it in your post and bam! Theres your pic, like magic.:D

I tried it like you said and I still get an error.:mad::mad:

Greg

You say it isn't that hard, so what are you trying to say? Just because I am originally from Texas or retired Air Force that I am a dumbass lol :rolleyes:

Greg

Yeah, he always looks tired ;) I think he hunts him to hard, the dog gets so many grouse retrieves, he is probably like, okay dad.....:p;)

Greg

He is a hard working lab. I love him for it and wouldn't change a thing. He has his moments of pure disobedience but I let him get away with it most of the time;)..... He won't quit and even when he is tired and trailing behind if he smells a bird that tail starts wagging and he pushes forward. More birds in the bag more hearts he gets to eat....

He is a hard working lab. I love him for it and wouldn't change a thing. He has his moments of pure disobedience but I let him get away with it most of the time;)..... He won't quit and even when he is tired and trailing behind if he smells a bird that tail starts wagging and he pushes forward. More birds in the bag more hearts he gets to eat....

Does he "flush em" for you then you shoot and he retrieves them? I think you need to give him a break, you know you shoot so many grouse that he may get bored. I tell you what, I will accompany you with my young, pointing lab and he can point the grouse and you can walk up and shoot them. I may take a shot or two myself :p;):D lol

Greg

He flushes them I shoot them and he retrieves them.... Sometimes I miss and he give me dirty looks. I couldn't possibly leave him home 1) because I can't imagine being in the field without him (did that once in SD and regretted every minute).. and 2) because he gets into mischief by his lonesome. Comast remotes are not safe, nor are notebooks, letters or paper products.... I thought he would grow out of that but still likes to make sure he shows his displeasure of being left behind....

If he hunted along side your lab he might make you mad when your lab pointed and he crashes the party like a mad rhino....... He tends to forget his manners..........................

I see from your post from this weekends hunt that he did hunt with a pointer. I take it that he didn't "crash" through to many times ;)

By your photos, my satellite communications experience while in the Air Force, Google earth, and GPS I think I have the area narrowed down where y'all where...going there this weekend :D:p:rolleyes:

Good stuff....

Seriously though, I will admit I am a bit jealous.

Greg

Last edited:
Went up to my favorite grouse spot opening morning with my new 10 month old GSP "Molly" and two of my friends. Turned out to be a very memorable opener. Driving through town to on our way we saw a huge Black bear tearing trash cans apart in a back ally which was a neat surprise. Started hunting by 8:00 A.M. and bumped our first two grouse shortly after but all that was hit were tree limbs. We hunted our way up an open forest meadow when "Molly" hit the breaks and turned in towards our three man skirmish line and locked up. My friend Corey walked in as Jon and I pinched from the sides. Then they start two flush, first just one then a second and a third a so on until we think 9 or 10 different birds got up and only two went down. Blue grouse like to stagger their flushes and if you miss one bird always reload before taking another step. This was "Molly's" point on Blues and I knew we were in for a special day. We hadn't walked more than 50 yards when "Molly" started getting birdy again but before she could zero in on where the birds were two got up in front of Corey and were quickly picked off my Corey and Jon. We finished up the draw and didn't find any more so we decided to hunt our way down the next draw to a logging road that would take us back to our truck. We were pushing through a juicy piece of habitat when Molly locked up again! Two big male Blues got up and came right at me an with two shots out of my side by side 20 I had both birds. Now that I had shot my limit I wanted to try and get some of the action on my camera. We had about 20 minute lull after that and got onto the logging road that takes us back up the mountain. We were near the end when Molly went on point again Jon and Corey were up to bat and walked up towards the point. As they got close 5 grouse flushed through the trees and it took four shots but they had tagged two birds into some really thick nasty cover. Molly brought both birds back but has developed a bit of a hard mouth, any tips for fixing this would be greatly appreciated. We ended up one shy of a three man limit on Blues and did it all with one 10 month old dog. I am really excited for this bird dogs future as she hunted just as good as my five year old GSP on Blues.

Wow! Excellent report and excellent hunt. Well done. Looks like you have a great dog in the making. (Ignore my statement to Mustistuff, I just wanted to yank his chain. I love the gsp as a hunting dog.)

dog breeds

i like most all of them too, if they weren't here, i would have to find something else to pick on besides those other dogs and slow quail

cheers

Well it is time to stop reading and start walking. Work got canceled for tomorrow (Friday) and the rain may stop, so I will start looking for my "favorite" spot. Not sure where that will be yet as I have never attempted to hunt the Blue Grouse. But by reading and memorizing all of the treads I guess they live in the mountains. Hope when the clouds clear there is no snow up there! Wish me luck and I will post pictures.

Back