Blaze Orange?

Gatzby

When bird hunting in a state that does not require blaze orange do you still wear orange? I am suprised that some states don't require orange for upland hunting. Generally speaking the non orange hunters are residents. I really like to be able to see other hunters not only for safty but to avoid goofing up their hunt by heading into the same field. I cannot think of a single good reason not to at least wear an orange hat. What do the rest of you think?

Totaly agree! Even if I wear an orange vest or coat or shirt, I still wear an orange hat! I can see other hunters with orange hats in tall or even heavey cover better. So I'm hoping they can see me better. Have a Nephew who hunted with us w/o an orange hat and the rest of us had one, and as we were leaving the field, he said he was going to get a orange hat!:10sign:

Blaze Orange

I always wear a blaze orange hat, although not required.

We always wear blaze orange. However I will admit there are times when blocking the standing corn the blockers will take off the orange. The roosters veer off pretty quick once they see that orange.
For safety, the blockers are 30 yards past the end of the corn and the walkers are not shooting at the end of the field. We shoot many more late season birds with small groups this way.

I always wear as much orange as I can get on. Hat, Vest and usually my shirt. I agree is an orange hat is a must. I have hunted with guys wearing camo hats and they are really hard to see.......Bob

In addition to orange people should consider wearing safety glasses. The NRA magazine did a test on safety glasses and it was amazing the the abuse they can take from a shot gun blast. I forget the range they shot them at but it was fairly close. As long as they were rated for impact resistance they all held up.

Yep, orange hat and my vest all have ample orange on them; although, I do not wear a solid orange vest so I don't turn into the Great Pumpkin...:D

blaze orange always. I always wonder why vest makers make the top of the vest brown and the bottom half in ornage. Seems like all vests should be the other way around.

Orange hat and vest for me. I want everybody to be able to see me coming. To many people out there that just don't think before they shot.

Yep i agree orange is a must! My hat, and the shoulders on my vest are orange and when weather dictates orange gloves

I usually wear orange except in a few instances like blocking or setting waiting for the birds to roost. I hunt in groups of 1-3, when in a larger group we always wear orange and I also wear safety glasses.

Saw a hunter enter the field we were hunting and then disappear! He had a dog but no sight or sound of him either. We jumped a Rooster about 50 -60 yrds. ahead of us and he jumped up and shot the bird!:eek: He was crouched down in thick cover. We immediately turned around and left the field. Guess I should have said something, but at the time I was not in the mood and thought it better to leave. I noticed he had a orange hat on when he entered the field, but when he shot, no sight of orange! He put his hat on after the dog retrieved the bird. Glad the bird jumped when it did. That was an accident waiting to happen!

In addition to orange people should consider wearing safety glasses. The NRA magazine did a test on safety glasses and it was amazing the the abuse they can take from a shot gun blast. I forget the range they shot them at but it was fairly close. As long as they were rated for impact resistance they all held up.

Eye protection is a must too. Sunglasses, shooting glasses, safety glasses -- all will protect your eyes from errant shot.

It's the law here, but I would do it (and insist that others in my party do the same) even if it were not. Just makes sense!
-Croc

Law or no law if' i'm hunting with a group, I ALWAYS wear a blaze baseball hat, some blaze on your body and shooting glasses/sunglasses or any kind. Projectile is a given when your hunting in small and bigger groups. A little lead splash is no big deal, but that's what makes the glasses important.

Sometimes when your walking some real tall stuff/crp or whatever, I'll even yell at my walking neighbor and put my baseball cap at the end of my barrel and waive it to let them know where i'm at from time to time. It sounds stupid, but I've hunted with a lot of people I don't know, so the little things help.

I have a Blase Orange Remington Chest Protector for Tony my Brit. He wears it all the time when we are hunting. It helps me keep track of him. How many of you other hunter have something Blaze Orange on your Dog?........Bob

Always. I've seen too many people disappear and reappear even when wearing orange, that there is no way I'd go without it. It may not be seen, but it gives me a better chance. I hunt mainly swamps and woods, so I like my odds better with a vest and hat combo.

On a similar note, I also always wear my seat belt and carry a sidearm (except where prohibited by law, of course).

Hey bobeyerite, Yeah, but it's only his collar. He always has his locator on though. I do put a orange chest protector on when it's really cold though.:cheers:

I'm with you Bob...orange collar and an orange skid plate on my GSP. The one time I ran him without the skid plate, he stuck a milo stalk through his chest; eight stitches and a year later, he's fine, but the plate goes one now before he's out of the truck. In CRP, just the collar.

Back